Partial case resizing options

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Re: Partial case resizing options

Post by on_one_wheel » 08 Jul 2016, 8:30 pm

Oldbloke wrote:"I've saved so much money using only the lee hand loader kits."
They are good, but once u buy a press and dies you would never go back. IMO.

I suppose I can get away with a $100 smartloader press and a couple sets of cheep dies.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 08 Jul 2016, 8:51 pm

The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gamerancher » 09 Jul 2016, 10:10 pm

Also depends on the cartridge. Some are prone to brass flow due to the design, a tapered case with a low angle shoulder tends to need more sizing. Straight walled cases with steep sholders need less. Ackley improved cases with 40 degree shoulder are a good example.
Neck sizing only reduces work hardening the entire case.
As for the reference to the Lee Reloading package, I reckon they are the best value for money you can get. Also Western Firearms, in my experience, are excellent to deal with. Their mail order service is brilliant.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 10 Jul 2016, 7:11 am

on_one_wheel wrote:
south wrote:
Chronos wrote:yes you can necksize but eventually you'll have to F/L size in order to chamber that case so why not partial size every time?

Eventually you do? There seem to be a lot of guys who only neck size and never FLS cases?

Curious why a lot of guys never seem to have to, or is it after a while and maybe they haven't got there yet?

Like 5 resizes? 10? 20?

I'd be interested to here more on this to.

Do they become impossible to chamber or just difficult ?

I'm not looking forward to buying a press and dies. Im kind of proud of the fact I've saved so much money using only the lee hand loader kits.

I bought my latest press 2nd hand for $60 posted from memory (simplex Master Press) built like a brick ****** only stronger, it won't ever wear out (not that presses really do anyway) I also buy dies 2nd hand which saves $$ and you can usually pick up pretty much all your reloading gear 2nd hand, I even buy projectiles that way too which saves $$ - it's just a matter of being on the right forums that are active and monitor their for sales sections - you often get some great bargains there to help ease the pain on the wallet, often some of it's given away free! :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Oldbloke » 10 Jul 2016, 11:22 am

"Simplex Master Press built like a brick" That's what I have.
Must be 25 yrs old now. Hardly even run in still. Got that and the dies & then just built my kit up as the needs arose. Some stuff second hand some new. So I have a "bitsa" kit.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 10 Jul 2016, 12:55 pm

bigfellascott wrote:
on_one_wheel wrote:
south wrote:
Chronos wrote:yes you can necksize but eventually you'll have to F/L size in order to chamber that case so why not partial size every time?

Eventually you do? There seem to be a lot of guys who only neck size and never FLS cases?

Curious why a lot of guys never seem to have to, or is it after a while and maybe they haven't got there yet?

Like 5 resizes? 10? 20?

I'd be interested to here more on this to.

Do they become impossible to chamber or just difficult ?

I'm not looking forward to buying a press and dies. Im kind of proud of the fact I've saved so much money using only the lee hand loader kits.

I bought my latest press 2nd hand for $60 posted from memory (simplex Master Press) built like a brick ****** only stronger, it won't ever wear out (not that presses really do anyway) I also buy dies 2nd hand which saves $$ and you can usually pick up pretty much all your reloading gear 2nd hand, I even buy projectiles that way too which saves $$ - it's just a matter of being on the right forums that are active and monitor their for sales sections - you often get some great bargains there to help ease the pain on the wallet, often some of it's given away free! :thumbsup:

I tried joining 3 other forums today to look at classifieds.
One wouldn't accept my email address
One wanted money for full access
One I couldn't pass the verification questions in 3 attempts. :lol:

Ill keep an eye out on gumtree.

I've got enough new brass to keep me reloading with the lee hand loaders for atleast another 5 years based on what I've achieved with my current batches, so I'm in no hurry.

So far with neck sizing only, the tightest brass I have takes a light bump forward of the bolt handle or atleast pushing the bolt forward a little faster to get it home before I pull the bolt down.... probably a little too tight but I'm getting some great accuracy from what are only light barrel hunting rifles. I attribute the fire formed fit of the brass, the controlled feed of the projectiles into the cheep hand loader, the batched by weight brass and the fact I'm weighing each charge.

Both the .223 and the .243 are shooting just under .5" @ 100m hence the reluctance for change
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 10 Jul 2016, 5:16 pm

"Both the .223 and the .243 are shooting just under .5" @ 100m hence the reluctance for change"
Amazing for hand lee loader. U should be happy with that. Weighing the charge would be the main contributing factor I guess.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Elek » 13 Jul 2016, 12:59 pm

How do you find using the hand loader though? Never tried one but seems like with the pressure you have to apply to brass now and then it could be awkward?
Remington 700 SPS Tactical in .308 Win
Remington 700 XCR Tactical Long Range in .223 Rem
Bushnell Elite Tactical ERS 4.5-30x 50mm
Elek
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 13 Jul 2016, 1:06 pm

Slooow. But works. So if you only shoot a few off a year they are OK. That is how I started out.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Reloading ammunition