Partial case resizing options

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Partial case resizing options

Post by Oldbloke » 06 Jul 2016, 10:37 am

"You can re-size with the full length dies, just back the die up until it only resizes maybe 50% of the neck. Then it won't be resizing the body near the end of the web of the case. You only need to re-size enough to get a grip on the bullet and have cases that feed into the chamber"
So this is from another discussion about the 17 Hornet. I have always use a Full length resize die and usualy do as above, effectively minimising the amount of resizing. The neck is usually resized for about 3/4 of its length. Often the cases are a little tight to chamber, is this normal?
I read recently that this is not a good idea. See link below.

http://www.sportingshootermag.com.au/as ... ase-sizing

1 But is this actually a smart thing to do?
2 I hunt and only reload in small numbers so purchasing a neck sizing die is hardly worth it.
3 Do you think there would be any significant accuracy advantages by doing a partial resize or is it a waste of time?
4 Or is it better to do one or the other just FLRS or neck size as the article says? What do the experts think?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Re: Partial case resizing options

Post by Gamerancher » 06 Jul 2016, 1:04 pm

Firstly, I don't class myself as an "expert", we all know the definition of that. I do however have a lot of experience reloading, I shoot 1000's of rounds a year and reload for 20-odd different calibers. I regularly finish in the top ten in my chosen discipline.
If you run your loads at the MAXIMUM, and the author of said article has to allow for this, then certainly, full length size every time. If you run mild loads, and want your brass to last longer, partial sizing works fine. You should always check that your cases will fit your chamber every time you reload anyway.( do this while they're empty) If partially sized cases are sticky they need to be sized more, adjust the die. :thumbsup:
There is no hard fast rule, full length dies are cut to size brass to the absolute minimum chamber specs, therefore guaranteeing that the case will fit all chambers. The beauty of reloading is that you can size your brass to BETTER fit your rifle. Top accuracy in rifles is achieved when the case is a perfect fit in the chamber, ask any benchrest shooter. For a hunting rifle, reliability becomes a priority and the ability to easily and quickly chamber rounds means a little more tolerance size wise.
Brass work hardens, which means the more you size it, the more brittle it becomes. This is what leads to split necks and case head separations. Of coarse head-space problems do too but that's another matter. I have 7-08 cases that have been reloaded 20 or more times, only ever been partially sized and still chamber fine. I only run a mild load in them. Other cases that I have to run a near maximum load for our 500m rams are full length resized each time and also need trimming occasionally. Needless to say they don't last as long as the others. :thumbsdown: If you don't plan on shooting the crap out of them, then by all means full length size and you will have no problems. :thumbsup:
I hope this clarifies it a bit more for you. :drinks:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by on_one_wheel » 06 Jul 2016, 1:46 pm

I can only comment on neck sizing only as thats all I can do with my lee hand loading kits for .223 and .243 brass.

I'm yet to have any real issues chambering rounds but they are noticeably tighter in the chamber after about 3 reloads.

Some of my brass has been fired 6 times without a full length resize, mostly at or above maximum charge.

My biggest concern I have with neck sizing only is the extra pressure on the bolt lug faces once things start to tighten up.
I just make sure I keep the lugs clean and I use molybdenum disulfide grease sparingly there to prevent wear.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 06 Jul 2016, 7:29 pm

So, from what gamerancher is saying partial resizing is a good thing provided the loads not too hot. I set the sizer just far enough to ensure the case will load ok. In my case all my loads are fairly mild and Im getting good accuracy.
Perhaps Nick Harvey got it wrong.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Chronos » 06 Jul 2016, 7:34 pm

In my .284W target rifle i only ever use a F/L bushing die. I set it up so that it sizes the neck and bumps the shoulder back around .001" and I've done it every round since i had it built.

yes you can necksize but eventually you'll have to F/L size in order to chamber that case so why not partial size every time?

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by on_one_wheel » 06 Jul 2016, 8:03 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Perhaps Nick Harvey got it wrong.

I reckon Nick's constant quest for speed was simply to give him flat trajectory for hunting.

That's how I'm reading it in his manual.

He doses however describe it as accuracy.

Also, I can't remember reading about barrel nodes in Nick's book.... there might have been a whole side to reloading and accuracy he missed.
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Mitch » 07 Jul 2016, 4:53 am

You can partially size to neck, or the other way to FLS is to set the die so it just bumps the shoulder back. I was reading an article on this a month ago in a magazine, written and described by Stuart Elliot of BRT?

He basically goes through how to set up the FLS die so instead of going everything back to minimum you only go enough that the case is partially sized, but the shoulder is bumped back a couple thou to ensure it chambers ok.
Mitch
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Gamerancher » 07 Jul 2016, 10:44 am

Which is basically what I was trying to say. Just took the long way round
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 07 Jul 2016, 10:52 am

Mitch wrote:You can partially size to neck, or the other way to FLS is to set the die so it just bumps the shoulder back. I was reading an article on this a month ago in a magazine, written and described by Stuart Elliot of BRT?

He basically goes through how to set up the FLS die so instead of going everything back to minimum you only go enough that the case is partially sized, but the shoulder is bumped back a couple thou to ensure it chambers ok.

That is what I am doing, just the bare minimum. So It seems to have merit, this partial resizing?
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gamerancher » 07 Jul 2016, 11:04 am

Yeah, if Stuart Elliot says so, I'm with him. He is one of the best benchrest shooters we've had in Australia. His knowledge, experience and ability put him in the elite.
That's where the cutting edge of accuracy is always being sharpened. The flow on is that we learn how to get better at what we do.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 07 Jul 2016, 1:30 pm

Just briefly on question #3. Given my basic understanding of the idea, I say yes, it has positive impact on accuracy potential.
Case body and neck that fit the chamber perfectly, or more consistently, aligns the bullet with the bore more concentrically and consistently. As long as the bullet is seated concentrically, then the neck/bullet/bore are all in alignment and the bullet (to put it in my 'beginners' terms) has a more hassle free launch. All other things being equal, this can only help accuracy.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Oldbloke » 07 Jul 2016, 2:30 pm

So realistically I have never FLRS back to the minimum case size. I have always partial resized. (Just enough to chanber) So why would you bother neck sizing? The gains seem minimal. Accuracy would be about the same and just a few more reloads per case. Unless some rifles insisdt on neck resize to get the accuracy?
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 07 Jul 2016, 2:51 pm

Personally, I neck size every time. More recently, I only resize 2/3 the neck. If I get some chambering tightness, I put it through full length. Ideally, I'd like a bump die to reset the shoulder.

Still new to it all with only a couple of years reloading but it is working for me with out any issues and good accuracy results.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by TheDude » 07 Jul 2016, 5:32 pm

I use Forster bushing bump dies that are set to bump the shoulders back 1-2 thou and sizes about half the neck. Partial neck sizing allows the sized part to have a consistent tension on the projectile while the unsized part fits and aligns the case in the chamber. The die sets come with 3 sizes bushings so you can play with different amounts neck tension depending on chamber size and brass thickness
TheDude
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by south » 08 Jul 2016, 3:30 pm

Chronos wrote:yes you can necksize but eventually you'll have to F/L size in order to chamber that case so why not partial size every time?

Eventually you do? There seem to be a lot of guys who only neck size and never FLS cases?

Curious why a lot of guys never seem to have to, or is it after a while and maybe they haven't got there yet?

Like 5 resizes? 10? 20?
south
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by on_one_wheel » 08 Jul 2016, 4:21 pm

south wrote:
Chronos wrote:yes you can necksize but eventually you'll have to F/L size in order to chamber that case so why not partial size every time?

Eventually you do? There seem to be a lot of guys who only neck size and never FLS cases?

Curious why a lot of guys never seem to have to, or is it after a while and maybe they haven't got there yet?

Like 5 resizes? 10? 20?

I'd be interested to here more on this to.

Do they become impossible to chamber or just difficult ?

I'm not looking forward to buying a press and dies. Im kind of proud of the fact I've saved so much money using only the lee hand loader kits.
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Chronos » 08 Jul 2016, 5:05 pm

south wrote:

Like 5 resizes? 10? 20?

I guarantee you will have to F/L size at some point. How many times can it be fired before it won't change any more? Probably depends a lot on the hardness of the brass and the kind of pressure is being loaded too. The fact is when the case is five expands to fill the chamber and springs back close to its original size. With repeated cycle and the brass will harden slightly and fail to bring back any more.

I've heard blokes say they simply neck size until they can't chamber cases any more and then discard the cases. I reckon those blokes would be changing their tune with the price of brass these days.

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 08 Jul 2016, 6:29 pm

"I've saved so much money using only the lee hand loader kits."
They are good, but once u buy a press and dies you would never go back. IMO.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 08 Jul 2016, 8:30 pm

Oldbloke wrote:"I've saved so much money using only the lee hand loader kits."
They are good, but once u buy a press and dies you would never go back. IMO.

I suppose I can get away with a $100 smartloader press and a couple sets of cheep dies.
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 08 Jul 2016, 8:51 pm

Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gamerancher » 09 Jul 2016, 10:10 pm

Also depends on the cartridge. Some are prone to brass flow due to the design, a tapered case with a low angle shoulder tends to need more sizing. Straight walled cases with steep sholders need less. Ackley improved cases with 40 degree shoulder are a good example.
Neck sizing only reduces work hardening the entire case.
As for the reference to the Lee Reloading package, I reckon they are the best value for money you can get. Also Western Firearms, in my experience, are excellent to deal with. Their mail order service is brilliant.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 10 Jul 2016, 7:11 am

on_one_wheel wrote:
south wrote:

Like 5 resizes? 10? 20?

I'm not looking forward to buying a press and dies. Im kind of proud of the fact I've saved so much money using only the lee hand loader kits.

I bought my latest press 2nd hand for $60 posted from memory (simplex Master Press) built like a brick ****** only stronger, it won't ever wear out (not that presses really do anyway) I also buy dies 2nd hand which saves $$ and you can usually pick up pretty much all your reloading gear 2nd hand, I even buy projectiles that way too which saves $$ - it's just a matter of being on the right forums that are active and monitor their for sales sections - you often get some great bargains there to help ease the pain on the wallet, often some of it's given away free! :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Oldbloke » 10 Jul 2016, 11:22 am

"Simplex Master Press built like a brick" That's what I have.
Must be 25 yrs old now. Hardly even run in still. Got that and the dies & then just built my kit up as the needs arose. Some stuff second hand some new. So I have a "bitsa" kit.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 10 Jul 2016, 12:55 pm

bigfellascott wrote:
on_one_wheel wrote:
south wrote:

Like 5 resizes? 10? 20?

I bought my latest press 2nd hand for $60 posted from memory (simplex Master Press) built like a brick ****** only stronger, it won't ever wear out (not that presses really do anyway) I also buy dies 2nd hand which saves $$ and you can usually pick up pretty much all your reloading gear 2nd hand, I even buy projectiles that way too which saves $$ - it's just a matter of being on the right forums that are active and monitor their for sales sections - you often get some great bargains there to help ease the pain on the wallet, often some of it's given away free! :thumbsup:

I tried joining 3 other forums today to look at classifieds.
One wouldn't accept my email address
One wanted money for full access
One I couldn't pass the verification questions in 3 attempts. :lol:

Ill keep an eye out on gumtree.

I've got enough new brass to keep me reloading with the lee hand loaders for atleast another 5 years based on what I've achieved with my current batches, so I'm in no hurry.

So far with neck sizing only, the tightest brass I have takes a light bump forward of the bolt handle or atleast pushing the bolt forward a little faster to get it home before I pull the bolt down.... probably a little too tight but I'm getting some great accuracy from what are only light barrel hunting rifles. I attribute the fire formed fit of the brass, the controlled feed of the projectiles into the cheep hand loader, the batched by weight brass and the fact I'm weighing each charge.

Both the .223 and the .243 are shooting just under .5" @ 100m hence the reluctance for change
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 10 Jul 2016, 5:16 pm

"Both the .223 and the .243 are shooting just under .5" @ 100m hence the reluctance for change"
Amazing for hand lee loader. U should be happy with that. Weighing the charge would be the main contributing factor I guess.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Elek » 13 Jul 2016, 12:59 pm

How do you find using the hand loader though? Never tried one but seems like with the pressure you have to apply to brass now and then it could be awkward?
Remington 700 SPS Tactical in .308 Win
Remington 700 XCR Tactical Long Range in .223 Rem
Bushnell Elite Tactical ERS 4.5-30x 50mm
Elek
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 13 Jul 2016, 1:06 pm

Slooow. But works. So if you only shoot a few off a year they are OK. That is how I started out.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Reloading ammunition