broken case extraction

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

broken case extraction

Post by juststarting » 17 Jul 2016, 2:23 pm

Hi All

I am thinking about buying a broken case extractor, $30 about on eBay. I haven't had a broken case, yet. I hope I never do, but last time I was playing around with loads, I took few of my cases to the limit (used 2 batches of brass, one batch was 100%, the other - not so much). Last re-test left a very distinct pressure ring/almost a crack around the bottom of the case. Primers were completely flattened too, they looked like rimfire cases after I decapped.

I've shot that load before few times using different batch of brass and different 308. Perfectly fine. I shot it again, 2 batches of brass, everything else the same - pressure signs. I write this off to Federal brass that was fired 3 times before, had somewhat lose primer pockets too. I also had to FL size, since I broke my collet die (I usually just use the collet). Same everything using Remington (once fired) and S&B (twice fired) cases - perfectly fine.

Not my photo, but this is pretty much what I was looking at:

No cracks or gas leaks though.

Anyway, good learning experience. That got me thinking about case head separation, so...

Questions:
1. obviously, is it worth it or is it a gimmick?
Something like this: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/7-62mm-308-Nato-Broken-Case-Extractor-/252294355283

2. has anyone here experienced that and how did you extract the broken case (had to go home, what if you're away for few days...)?

Thanks
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Re: broken case extraction

Post by Strikey » 17 Jul 2016, 3:40 pm

If you work up a load in one brand of brass and then change to another you need to rework that load to suit. No two brands of cartridge brass will have the same capacity, this is particularly important when loading close to maximum.This may explain your pressure signs and I would probably bin those cases before you need to extract a broken one.
Strikey
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by juststarting » 17 Jul 2016, 3:46 pm

Like I said, learning experience... Cases binned, well, couple kept as a souvenir.

But back to my original questions...
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by AusTac » 17 Jul 2016, 4:11 pm

Don't have first hand experience but have researching them also ( for 303 ) they work, but you have to use them like you hate them sometimes with a rubber/plastic mallet gently on the bolt otherwise its wooden dowel, jamming brushes and all sorts
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Baronvonrort » 17 Jul 2016, 9:51 pm

juststarting wrote:Hi All

Questions:
1. obviously, is it worth it or is it a gimmick?
Something like this: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/7-62mm-308-Nato-Broken-Case-Extractor-/252294355283

2. has anyone here experienced that and how did you extract the broken case (had to go home, what if you're away for few days...)?

Thanks

Yeah get one then if any of us break a case we know who can lend us one. :sarcasm:
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by juststarting » 17 Jul 2016, 10:00 pm

Ha-ha.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Baronvonrort » 17 Jul 2016, 10:04 pm

juststarting wrote:Ha-ha.

Send the brass to the recyclers when it looks suspect and you might never need a tool like that.
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 17 Jul 2016, 10:32 pm

Another vote for proper brass tracking and maintenance to avoid the issue all together. Scrap all your various 'batches' of brass and start afresh with some adi or Osa brass and keep track of firings.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by juststarting » 17 Jul 2016, 10:41 pm

Thank you all! Yes, keeping track of brass is important. Yes, I inspect all my cases. I know exactly which batch I am shooting and how many times it has been fired, I keep pretty good records of these things. Though I don't record exactly what it shot. Perhaps I should start and Gwion, I am considering starting fresh. I am not saying they are mixed by the way. They were in two separate batches that I was testing. I knew exactly which batch was which. My inexperience on the other hand was to load same recipe into different cases without working up to that load in that specific case and potentially running them through FL. And yes, it was near maximum, 1gn below in fact.

My questions were about others' experiences with case head separation and removal.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by KennyA » 18 Jul 2016, 6:39 am

I had a 308 case separate last week in the exact same place. Is it is from using old crappy brass with fairly hot loads.
I removed the case after letting the rifle cool and then pushed a really tight cleaning patch through from the muzzle end.
Case pushed out real easy. It might have been just good luck.

I'd use the $40 on new brass instead of the extractor.

Cheers
.177 &.22 Air rifle, .22lr, 223 Rem, 308 Win, 308 Ackley Imp, 410, 45-70, 12g single, U/O, S/S
KennyA
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 18 Jul 2016, 11:07 am

juststarting wrote: \\....My inexperience on the other hand was to load same recipe into different cases without working up to that load in that specific case...\\..

This was kind of my point. While I have 3 different batches of brass for my 223rem, each is allocated to its own load so I have a different head stamp for each load, a high vel 40gnbullet, a high vel 50gn bullet and a low vel 50gn bullet and I never change the recipe (ie: change a component) without dropping the load and doing a quick work up back to my original load.

I think everyone is clear what your question is but are pointing out it is an issue that can be managed or eliminated through good practices. So, I'd take each reply as a response to:
a/ yes they mainly gimmicky and unnecessary unless you are in the habit of pushing load data and case life to the limits.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by AusTac » 18 Jul 2016, 11:32 am

I'm getting one when i can find one for .303 i can let you know how that goes if you like, although i dunno how good that'll be considering it's for rimmed and old worn out chambers rather than rimless and a sammi spec chamber
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Oldbloke » 18 Jul 2016, 11:45 am

Over the yrs I have found its a bit tricky keeping track of hunting brass. Easy for them to get mixed up. Eg you have 20 rounds loaded 4 times. You go hunting and only 2 left in that box so u load 2 more from the next box. (Loaded 3 times) Next thing you know your not sure which is which. Or you do a bit of testing and only need to shoot off 10 rounds, what do you do with the remaining?

So I gave up on that yrs ago, just inspect closely every time I load and if its suspect toss it out. No fancy but works and accuracy is good enough for hunting.

Probably different for paper punchers. Horses for courses.

PS I generally load on the mild side and this would help.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Wobble » 10 Aug 2016, 2:29 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Over the yrs I have found its a bit tricky keeping track of hunting brass

I'm excellent and tracking them as they eject and fly into the mud or a puddle somewhere :problem:
Weatherby Vanguards in .300 Weatherby Magnum and .243 Winchester
Wobble
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 11 Aug 2016, 8:40 am

Wobble wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:Over the yrs I have found its a bit tricky keeping track of hunting brass

I'm excellent and tracking them as they eject and fly into the mud or a puddle somewhere :problem:

Yep, a few get lost in the field too. I find that frustrating but part of the game.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by sandgroperbill » 11 Aug 2016, 11:44 am

I try to keep them in different containers depending on how many times they've been fired, but I hunt and don't target shoot. As oldbloke says, it is easy to lose track, but I also load on the mild side, so it does help. I will also toss them before they become a problem.
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Return to Reloading ammunition