243 Reloading advice.

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

243 Reloading advice.

Post by Nightowl » 02 Aug 2016, 12:58 pm

So I am new to the world of reloading and would love any advice/thoughts to steer me in the right direction. currently I am trying to work up a hunting load using the following.
Ruger American 432 with a 1 in 9 twist rate
ADI powder 2208
Hornady 87g V-Max BT
Federal primers
Federal brass

The ADI Handloaders guide states that I should use a powder range of between 32 and 36g. So yesterday I made 4 rounds of each load going up in 0.5g increments. to my surprise I shot a clover leaf with the minimal load of 32g. after consulting others "in the know" I was expecting to find a more suitable load up towards the max load data. any thoughts on the matter would be greatly appreciated.
Regards
Dan
Nightowl
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: 243 Reloading advice.

Post by ozbluei » 02 Aug 2016, 9:02 pm

Sounds good. My most accurate loads are usually at the minimum or 0.5gr above the minimum. Once you've decided on your load you can start to manufacture it in bulk and adjust your sights for that load.
ozbluei
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by sakoBC » 02 Aug 2016, 9:12 pm

Yep, the most accurate load for my 243 is a minimum load. You can't argue with the results. I've gone through a fair bit of powder checking out various loads and seating depths. Found the load that works and have been using it for the last ten years on everything from paper to pigs.
sakoBC
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 02 Aug 2016, 9:25 pm

Both my marlins are the same love minimum loads, but my model 70 winchester likes near max. Each rifle seems to vary.. TBO I dont think the pigs or goats will notice the difference. Dead is dead. 150 fps one way or the other is SFA.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by MattyP » 02 Aug 2016, 9:58 pm

Try using a bit slower powder such as AR 2209 to get greater case density. By filling the case without having compressed loads gives a greater chance of replicateing more consistent breach pressures and in turn more consistent shot to shot MV's. This is assuming a standard 24inch barrel length. The shorter the barrel the quicker the powder. I have had very good results using 43gr AR2213sc however that was with a 100gr Hornady SST. This is 1gr above ADI recommended Max load and still only 2950fps and getting 4-5 reloads from a case before I even required to re-trim case and primer pockets are all still tight.
MattyP
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by sandgroperbill » 02 Aug 2016, 10:48 pm

Maximum load doesn't necessarily mean best. Many times the most accurate load is nearer the minimum load. And accuracy is more important than a couple of hundred fps.
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by MattyP » 02 Aug 2016, 11:33 pm

sandgroperbill wrote:Maximum load doesn't necessarily mean best. Many times the most accurate load is nearer the minimum load. And accuracy is more important than a couple of hundred fps.

I completely agree. No point in having a flat out load shooting 3 inches. The load in question produced the greatest shot to shot consistency through the chrony (out of my rifle) and was well under 1/2 inch at 100yards.
MattyP
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Nightowl » 03 Aug 2016, 11:07 am

thanks everyone for all your advice, I feel a lot happier now about my results. I will now refine it an go from there
Cheers
Dan
Nightowl
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by on_one_wheel » 03 Aug 2016, 11:43 am

38.5 grains of 2209 with 100 g projectiles
has been one of my most accurate loads with my .243

When I was using 2208 my most accurate was also at or near minimum loads.

I have developed some hot loads that shot well but they were really pushing the envelope safety wise.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Fangballs » 21 Aug 2016, 4:22 pm

What's the best and most accurate load combinations using both Hornady v-max 58 and 75gr projectiles. Cheers Rob
Fangballs
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by Wes » 22 Aug 2016, 10:41 am

It would be different in every right Rob.

You'd need to run through load developments for both in your rifle.
Wes
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by headspace » 22 Aug 2016, 5:01 pm

I've only ever used 2208 for 75gn Vmax in my Mod70 Featherweight, and they didn't shoot at all well. I only use 2209 and found a good accurate hunting load out to 200m with 45.5gn 2209 and a 87gn Vmax or Hollow point. They both shoot to the same point anyway. I only shoot 3 shot groups from my hunting rifles because I reckon that if you haven't killed it with 3 shots it's time to take up knitting.
If it's not wood and blued steel, it's not one of mine
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Fangballs » 26 Aug 2016, 8:45 pm

Does anyone have any load data for 243win 87gn vmax using AR2208 powder. I've recently received a few hundred 87gn vmax projectiles and 8 bottles of AR2208 powder. Looked through the 4 different loading manuals I have and there is no data at all about this combination. Not even in the ADI handloaders guide I have. Any data for this combination received would be much appreciated. Cheers Rob
Fangballs
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by superkel66 » 30 Aug 2016, 8:21 pm

Nightowl wrote:So I am new to the world of reloading and would love any advice/thoughts to steer me in the right direction. currently I am trying to work up a hunting load using the following.
Ruger American 432 with a 1 in 9 twist rate
ADI powder 2208
Hornady 87g V-Max BT
Federal primers
Federal brass

The ADI Handloaders guide states that I should use a powder range of between 32 and 36g. So yesterday I made 4 rounds of each load going up in 0.5g increments. to my surprise I shot a clover leaf with the minimal load of 32g. after consulting others "in the know" I was expecting to find a more suitable load up towards the max load data. any thoughts on the matter would be greatly appreciated.
Regards
Dan

i have run the same projectile in a savage 99, but mine was ar2209 at 44gn, that got me 3100ft/sec. that said i stopped using the Vmax as they went straight through without deforming. its always best to sneak up on a load.
superkel66
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 31 Aug 2016, 4:26 pm

Fangballs wrote:What's the best and most accurate load combinations using both Hornady v-max 58 and 75gr projectiles. Cheers Rob

That's the question even the most experienced reloaders wish there was a quick answer to.

Sometimes you get lucky and develop a good load with the first powder, and projectile you try.
Some people wear barrels out chasing the consistent one hole group by trying multiple powders, projectile designs and weighs, different primers, cases, seating depths, neck tensions .... the combinations are almost endless and can equate to countless test firings.

The important thing to keep in mind is how accurate you need to be and what you're type of rifle is typically capable of.
For what I do with rifles I'm happy with anything that shoots sub moa consistently.

I've been able to load sub moa with both 2208 and 2209 using the same 100g soft point boat tail with both using the good old ladder test and haven't had to play with seating depth or anything else.

Once I think I've found the right power charge I load up enough to shoot a few more groups just to make sure that the "best" group from the ladder test wasn't a fluke.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Apollo » 31 Aug 2016, 5:59 pm

Fangballs wrote:Does anyone have any load data for 243win 87gn vmax using AR2208 powder. I've recently received a few hundred 87gn vmax projectiles and 8 bottles of AR2208 powder. Looked through the 4 different loading manuals I have and there is no data at all about this combination. Not even in the ADI handloaders guide I have. Any data for this combination received would be much appreciated. Cheers Rob

Use the 87gr Hornady SP Data listed in the ADI Load Guide.

These loads are just a guide and really the idea is a bullet of that weight range.

In my view AR2208 is probably just okay for this weight but see how your own tests show. I use 90gr Berger's for competition shooting and found that AR2209 performs much better accuracy wise and is more consistant than AR2208 but that is target shooting. If you are only hunting / varminting then you will probably be quite happy with AR2208.

Most all bullets I use are Berger and I simply pick a weight from ADI Data and start low, bullet type I disregard.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Medic » 03 Sep 2016, 1:23 am

I have just finished trying both 2208 and 2209 with 80 grain, 95 grain and 100 grain. I personally think the 2209 works best in my Abolt III with 75/80 and 95 grainers. 2208 felt like more recoil but accuracy didn't change much. I found with max loads of 2209 I think i'm wasting powder, the casings look a bit dirty and I reckon i could probably back off a bit. For now 2209 is preferred for me. But both worked well and would happily use either, I'm still kinda learning this gun.
Medic
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by duncan61 » 18 Sep 2016, 9:59 pm

I use 2208 for my .243 as I can load my .222 and 7mm rem mag with the same powder and I have a lot of it.Accuracy on all three is exceptional.I have used 2209 in the .243 and it is a much slower powder good for heavier projectiles.sounds like you hit the jackpot first time.I spent years searching for that perfect group.I am about to do it all again with a hornet using 2207
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by jeebo » 29 Sep 2016, 3:27 pm

sandgroperbill wrote:Maximum load doesn't necessarily mean best.

It's something about the .243.

Some guys are obsessed with squeezing the most velocity out of it as they can.
Winchester Model 1894 30-30
Zastava M85 Standard .222 Rem
Bang bang!
jeebo
Private
Private

Victoria

Return to Reloading ammunition