.172" from .22LR cases

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

.172" from .22LR cases

Post by Bills Shed » 21 Aug 2016, 8:33 pm

Finished my first set of .172" projectiles made from .22LR cases.
I currently shoot 20 gn ZMax out of my 17 Hornet. It is a CZ527 which will do sub MOA all day long with 10.1 gn of 2205. I am no target shooter and the rifle earns its keep out under a light. I do not need every hole touching but I do think MOA is required for a reliable head shot. So that was my goal; to build a .172" projectile that will shoot sub MOA out of .22 rim fire cases at velocities equal to that achieved from factory projectiles.
Derimming die was a Corbin, as was the draw die to .169" and the core swage, core seat and point form dies were from Lary Blackmon.
I did not do any load development for this projectile and just loaded it as if it was a ZMax. COL was reduced to 1.675" as there is no plastic insert.
This is the first time I have done a .172" and there is very little lead in the jacket. It is a flat base open tip, 20 gn projectile and the jacket itself weighs 6 gn, almost 1/3 of the total projectile weight ! The lead only just fills the bearing surface of the projectile and the point is just empty space. Jacket thickness is .011" and variation of the walls was kept to .0005"
As you can see it is sub MOA and there is some stringing in the group which may be caused by my poor shooting ability. I am sure it could be improved on with a bit of basic load development and a bit more tinkering. They will do me for the purpose I built them for, hunting. I am just happy that they held together and grouped OK. Next trial will be out in the paddock.
Just because I can, I may knock out some 17 gn and 25 gn projectiles but once I have found something that works I tend not to change it.
Attachments
image.jpeg
Group .950"
image.jpeg (1.24 MiB) Viewed 1673 times
image.jpeg
Jacket forming steps
image.jpeg (1.57 MiB) Viewed 1673 times
Swaging your own projectiles is the ultimate in flexibility.
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Re: .172" from .22LR cases

Post by Gwion » 21 Aug 2016, 8:51 pm

Yup... Wouldn't mind seeing those in action!
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by bladeracer » 21 Aug 2016, 9:16 pm

That is awesome!
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Wm.Traynor » 22 Aug 2016, 10:08 am

That group is pretty much round and for your first attempt is cause for Rejoicing :D The horizontal dispersion could be wind variation. Got wind flags/indicators? Someone on here once suggested a streamer on a stick. The vertical dispersion could be complicated.........bedding?
Good shooting mate :)
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Bills Shed » 22 Aug 2016, 3:53 pm

Wm.Traynor wrote:That group is pretty much round and for your first attempt is cause for Rejoicing :D The horizontal dispersion could be wind variation. Got wind flags/indicators? Someone on here once suggested a streamer on a stick. The vertical dispersion could be complicated.........bedding?
Good shooting mate :)

The group was shot at sparrow fart with ice still on the water troughs and zero wind down the bottom paddock. Perfect time of the day. The back of the ute was nice and stable, the sitting position left a bit to be desired though. (Hay bale) I think I will need to build a decent bench if I am going to get comfortable and really get into this paper hole punching.
I will knock out another 50 and get them out into the paddock. The jackets are already made and now just need to stuff them with lead. Hopefully the .011" jacket is not to thick and they vaporise on impact. They are moving about 1000 f/s faster than the 40 gn, hornet projectiles so I think they will do the job.
Bill
Swaging your own projectiles is the ultimate in flexibility.
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Wm.Traynor » 22 Aug 2016, 7:27 pm

Shooting at "sparrow fart"? I call that Grim Conditions mate :shock: ;) :)
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Return to Reloading ammunition