Diy hollow points

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Re: Diy hollow points

Post by bigpete » 23 Aug 2016, 6:26 pm

bladeracer wrote:
bigpete wrote:All true but at the price these are its hard to give them up :-) hard to argue with shooting a 44 for the price of a 22

Cast your own.
Casting lets you shoot just about anything at rimfire prices.

I plan too ! Eventually !
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 23 Aug 2016, 6:27 pm

bentaz wrote:For ranges from point blank to 10m i can't see drilling them is gunna screw your accuracy and at that price experimenting a bit won't break the bank :thumbsup:

EXACTLY! but hopefully I can keep the accuracy too
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 23 Aug 2016, 7:33 pm

Just guessing here. But if you look at 22RF projectiles the HP often looks a bit rough or off center. So perhaps there is a greater tolerance than you might expect.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 25 Aug 2016, 3:45 pm

IMG_20160825_150716.jpg
IMG_20160825_150716.jpg (792.37 KiB) Viewed 4745 times
IMG_20160825_150731.jpg
IMG_20160825_150731.jpg (627.88 KiB) Viewed 4745 times

My first rough attempts using a drill press as you can see one is very slightly off centre the other 2 are fine hollow is roughly halfway into the bullet and about 6mm in diameter. Bullets weight between 192 and 195gn. Starting weight was meant to be 225gn so they lost around 30gn. That ought to bring bullet speed up a little too. Just need to load a few and test them again, then check their accuracy. I think they'll work just fine for what I want.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 25 Aug 2016, 5:44 pm

Will be interesting to see the result. I suspect a smaller drill would do the job, say 4mm. But look forward to pics
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 25 Aug 2016, 5:48 pm

Yeah probably but its kinda what I had at the time. I've ordered a centre drill bit which I'll use in future endeavours. I kinda like the idea of a massive hollow point,it should open up pretty well plus have a fairly thick base and walls to maintain a bit of structural integrity. But time,and tests, will tell
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 25 Aug 2016, 6:44 pm

The center bit should be the go.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by AusTac » 25 Aug 2016, 8:35 pm

Those hollows are monsters, be good to see some carnage with them!
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Gamerancher » 26 Aug 2016, 10:22 am

Here's a hollow point .44 bullet for you. Mate in Tassie has the mold and made some for me. Work real well on "critters" at low velocities. :thumbsup:
Attachments
44 hollow point.jpg
44 hollow point.jpg (62.54 KiB) Viewed 4716 times
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 26 Aug 2016, 11:05 am

Holy crap... they should call that a Cavern Point... you could park a truck in that cavity!
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by bigpete » 26 Aug 2016, 12:05 pm

IMG_20160826_111618.jpg
IMG_20160826_111618.jpg (753.31 KiB) Viewed 4712 times
here's some I just did using a ¼" centre drill bit. I really need a jig to hold them straight as a couple got off centre and I'm sure won't shoot straight. Finished weight is 200gn. How heavy are your mates bullets gamerancher and does he take orders :-)
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Gamerancher » 26 Aug 2016, 12:32 pm

They're pretty fat, come in at 260grains. Don't know about orders but I could find out what mold he used if that will help.
Those ones you've drilled look alright. At 200 grains, they should work well. Try 'em and see!
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 26 Aug 2016, 4:13 pm

They look grouse Pete.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 26 Aug 2016, 5:16 pm

Good stuff pete.... theres nothing wrong with diy'ing....

I suspect the concentricity may be more critical at lower velocities when there is less spin to stabilise.... I've been wrong before.... hang on thats never happened ;)

Although I've Dum Dum'd fmj's I've never drilled them out...what 'I' would do would be to fix a timber base-plate to the drill press. slowly drill out a nice 11mm hole (or as reuired to hold the 0.44 pro). leave base, replace bit with 3mm or 4mm or 6mm or whatever hole you desire, them drop your bullet into your 11mm hole and drill the tip = tip in centre.

Go nuts :thumbsup:
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by bigpete » 26 Aug 2016, 5:46 pm

:-) we think a like genesis lol
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 26 Aug 2016, 6:15 pm

brothers from another mothers perhaps :lol: :thumbsup:
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Oldbloke » 26 Aug 2016, 7:40 pm

<<Genesis93>> wrote:Good stuff pete.... theres nothing wrong with diy'ing....

I suspect the concentricity may be more critical at lower velocities when there is less spin to stabilise.... I've been wrong before.... hang on thats never happened ;)

Although I've Dum Dum'd fmj's I've never drilled them out...what 'I' would do would be to fix a timber base-plate to the drill press. slowly drill out a nice 11mm hole (or as reuired to hold the 0.44 pro). leave base, replace bit with 3mm or 4mm or 6mm or whatever hole you desire, them drop your bullet into your 11mm hole and drill the tip = tip in centre.

Go nuts :thumbsup:

Kiss is great. You have convinced me.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 26 Aug 2016, 7:54 pm

<<Genesis93>> wrote:Although I've Dum Dum'd fmj's I've never drilled them out...what 'I' would do would be to fix a timber base-plate to the drill press. slowly drill out a nice 11mm hole (or as reuired to hold the 0.44 pro). leave base, replace bit with 3mm or 4mm or 6mm or whatever hole you desire, them drop your bullet into your 11mm hole and drill the tip = tip in centre.

I used to file the points off 6.5x55mm 139gn FMJ ammo with no downside I could find.
Later I also drilled holes into them.
I don't recall the size but maybe around 3mm was all, and about 10mm deep.
I have no idea how effective they were as I only shot foxes with them at that time, but they didn't lose any accuracy.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 27 Aug 2016, 10:21 am

You know I have an older friend who pretty much swears these won't expand at the speeds I'm pushing them :-) hope to prove him wrong,but first,I've a wedding to attend :-)
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Chronos » 27 Aug 2016, 10:26 am

on_one_wheel wrote:Have you considered selling your under-performing projectiles and buying something more explosive?

I regularly see people selling projectiles on Facebook shooting buy swap & sell type pages.
Typically they sell close to new prices, people like things to just roll up in the post rather than driving to town for them.

If your lucky someone here might even want them.

Or were they blowing up at such cloce ranges and failing to penetrate? would a hollow point make things worse?

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by bigpete » 27 Aug 2016, 12:27 pm

Look at the pics before you comment. They clearly don't expand
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 28 Aug 2016, 4:04 pm

I don't think water is a good test. Wet news paper has been used in the past. Maybe mud or clay in a bucket with a sheet of 12mm ply in the middle to simulate some bone. Just anything close to flesh and bone. Does look they are a hard cast.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 28 Aug 2016, 5:41 pm

bigpete wrote:You know I have an older friend who pretty much swears these won't expand at the speeds I'm pushing them :-) hope to prove him wrong,but first,I've a wedding to attend :-)

I think it will depend on what you shoot them into.
Any roadkill around you can do some forensic testing on?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 28 Aug 2016, 5:50 pm

I might try drums full of sand and drums full of water. So two mediums. And I'll try the old ones in sand too. When I've shot game with them they've performed as I expected,and exactly the same as a broad head hunting arrow ie chest shot,pass through,animal runs 20-50m then collapses in a heap.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 28 Aug 2016, 5:54 pm

bigpete wrote:I might try drums full of sand and drums full of water. So two mediums. And I'll try the old ones in sand too. When I've shot game with them they've performed as I expected,and exactly the same as a broad head hunting arrow ie chest shot,pass through,animal runs 20-50m then collapses in a heap.

I thought the entire reason you're drilling them is because they were not putting game down?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 28 Aug 2016, 6:35 pm

Man does none read ! I had one super tough critter that just wouldn't go down so I'm looking at different options ! And the only thing I can think of as to why something could take 3 well placed 44 bullets to the head is that they just weren't expanding enough to damage the brain sufficiently! Arrrgh !
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 28 Aug 2016, 6:52 pm

bigpete wrote:Man does none read ! I had one super tough critter that just wouldn't go down so I'm looking at different options ! And the only thing I can think of as to why something could take 3 well placed 44 bullets to the head is that they just weren't expanding enough to damage the brain sufficiently! Arrrgh !

I think we can read. You had a failure with an animal and want to find a way to improve your bullet's performance.
If they kill just fine in the chest just shoot them there instead of the head.
You don't need expansion to destroy the brain, just the force of the bullet impact will do that, as long as you can penetrate the skull. Brains are like jelly, even a bullet bouncing off a skull can sometimes do fatal damage to the brain inside.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 28 Aug 2016, 6:55 pm

Another option would be to push them above supersonic at the range you're shooting at. An impact at supersonic velocity does more damage than a subsonic hit with the same bullet due to the shockwave through the body.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Medic » 03 Sep 2016, 1:26 am

I made a collet to hold my 243 rifle cartridges in the lathe, piece of s**t winchester X crap 100 grainers that are totally s**t and dont spin true. Anyway I just happened to be given a bunch of 100 grain flat bottom speer bullets ages ago for free, so I put them in the lathe and drilled them out to HP and cut a new angle on the front. They are accurate as and do ****** of damage. Weight now at 95 grains is just happier in my barrel. Woo me. There is nothing wrong with drilling projectiles. I call mine "Horn-daddy's"... instead of "Hornady's" ...
Medic
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 09 Sep 2016, 7:59 pm

Bigpete,
What was tbe result after drilling?
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Next

Return to Reloading ammunition