12 gauge primer probs

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

12 gauge primer probs

Post by ian-robinson » 30 Aug 2016, 12:06 pm

gday guys i have just started reloading my 12 gauge shells and come across that my w209 primers are falling out has anyone had this problem cheers ian any remedies appreciated .
ian-robinson
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Re: 12 gauge primer probs

Post by ian-robinson » 30 Aug 2016, 3:36 pm

Gday I'm useing eleys and 1st shot and w209 primers
ian-robinson
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 30 Aug 2016, 4:25 pm

ian-robinson wrote:gday guys i have just started reloading my 12 gauge shells and come across that my w209 primers are falling out has anyone had this problem cheers ian any remedies appreciated .

Hot hot and heavy are you loading them?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by HaydenB » 09 May 2017, 1:11 pm

Here is the info you need to sort out what primers for the various hulls. Found this ages ago on another site and use it to reload with the right primers and wads.

"
Guide to Straight Wall and Tapered Hulls and Cross Reference

Below is a guide to the various straight wall hulls found in the US Domestic Market and Internationally. This guide is by no means complete, so if you spot something missing or incorrect, please post it so I can edit the list for accuracy.

I have made a best effort to identify the OEM manufacturer of branded hulls through published information but shot shell manufacturers may from time to time source hulls from more than one hull supplier. Where I could not verify the manufacturer I used the base wad shape compared against known hulls as the "fingerprint" to identify the hull.

Straight Wall Hull Reference

Most straightwall hulls listed here are of Reifenhauser construction, a straight plastic tube with a separate plastic base wad and metal rim. Exceptions to this are noted (*) below.

All references are for 2.75" 12 gauge. Smaller gauges from the same manufacturer will have similar construction unless noted.

Known primer dimensions are: “A” American Standard 209 =.241”-.242”: “E” European Standard .244”-.245”

European Hull Manufacturers OEM and Contract:

Cheddite: Primer Size A
Cheddite, Kemen, Kent Fast Steel, Kent Velocity, Ballistic Products Multi-Hull (w/stepped white base wad), RST, some Eley, Lyalvale, Gamebore White Gold, Hull Cartridge 65mm, English Sporter and DanArms Sport.

US Domestic Market (USDM) Federal Estate & Winchester SuperX Xpert. Both have a bright red hull with ribbed tube and low gold color steel rim.

Remington Shur-Shot (Australian distribution) http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum...ngton#p2060404

UEE/Maxam: Primer Size E
Rio, Diana, Orion, Kemen, some Eley, Lyalvale, Gamebore, Vinci, Venatum, SAGA, Cartuchos GB, Melior, Eley Hawk, Maxam, Victory.

Nobel Sport: Primer Size E
Nobel Sport, Clever Mirage, Clever Grand Italia, Clever T2.

Fiocchi: Primer Size E
Fiocchi, Ballistic Products Multi-Hull (w/flat gray 7mm base wad)

Baschieri & Pellagri (B&P): Primer Size E
B&P Proprietary hull using Gordon System cushioned plastic base wad.

Remington Shur-Shot (Australian distribution) http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum...ngton#p2060404

US Domestic Market (USDM)

Federal: Primer Size A

Gold Medal w/plastic basewad, 12 gauge 2.75" only

Top Gun* and Estate* w/wound paper base wad (Dark Maroon with silver color steel head); Top Gun 2.75", Estate 12 gauge 2.75" & 3.0"

Federal all plastic with .090 base compression formed hull. From factory buckshot, slug or steel loads. 12 gauge only, 2.75" & 3.0". Straight wall one-piece compression formed hull. Largest capacity 2.75" and 3" hull I know of.

Winchester: Primer Size A

Super-X (Cheddite) - The Cheddite Estate and Winchester are both bright red with a ribbed tube and a low, shiny gold steel head. All I have seen have a six fold crimp.

Super-X Steel Target - Red ribbed hull is the red color of the Universals, low silver colored steel head and has a low, tan plastic basewad unlike any other I have seen.

XPert Steel (Waterfowl loads) are proprietary hulls. Found with two different base-wad heights in 2.75”, 3.0” and 3.5”. Red basewad Tall, White basewad Short. No correlated load data.

**Winchester AA-HS & Universal, Super Dove, Super Speed all use separate tapered cup base wad, not considered a straight wall hull. All load with Winchester AAHS data. Primer Size A

Remington: SP Plastic, Type-6, black or yellow flat plastic base wad. Primer Size A

Remington Nitro Steel and all no-tox waterfowl loads except Sportsman Steel. Most Remington Buckshot and Slug hulls. Remington 10 gauge and 16 gauge hulls.

*Straight wall hulls but not true Reifenhauser due to paper base wad.
**Reifenhauser hulls but not true straight wall due to tapered cup base wad.

Tapered compression Formed (Remington) and Tapered Base Cup Reifenhauser (Winchester)

There is only one true "tapered" hull in the market, the Remington STS/Unibody hull described below. The other was the original Winchester AA-CF (Compression Formed), out of production for over 10 years but still found in large quantities, usually as fired hulls. These can be loaded with data for the original AACF or Remington STS/Unibody hulls.

Remington: Primer Size A

One piece compression formed plastic hull. Depending on brand may be shiny gold (Nitro27), emerald green (STS), dull green or black. 20 gauge always yellow, 28 gauge green, .410 red. 12 & 20 gauge may have six or eight fold crimp. High or low brass (STS/Nitro27) or steel (Gun Club/Sport Load) head.

All of these are interchangeable and load with the same data: STS, Nitro27, Gun Club, Sport Load, Heavy Dove, Nitro Express, Nitro Pheasant, Express Long Range, Sportsman Steel.

Winchester: Primer Size A

Winchester AA-HS: Three piece Reifenhauser with tapered base cup. Said to load with old Winchester AA Compression Formed (one piece) data but has less capacity. 12 gauge AA-HS hulls run slightly shorter than Universals. AA-HS found in glossy red and glossy dark grey with low brass heads. Heads are stamped "AA-HS"

Winchester Universal: Dull red, ribbed tube with same construction as AA-HS, low silver steel head. Used in Winchester Universal, Super Speed and most other promo non-AA loads. Not used in Winchester steel loads.

As I said, this covers a lot of ground but due to the fact that manufacturers are always introducing new brands or loads, or contracting production to foreign companies using their own components, this will always be a work in progress.

Feel free to add any verified new hulls or information so we can keep this resource current.

Regards, Cerberus62 "

He did a great job of research on this topice.
HaydenB
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Return to Reloading ammunition