recommend a lead melting pot?

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

recommend a lead melting pot?

Post by allthegearandnoidea » 13 Sep 2016, 7:24 pm

Hi All

I'm looking at getting the Lee Pro 4 caster - anyone have one ...or a better idea?

Cheers

Steve
allthegearandnoidea
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: recommend a lead melting pot?

Post by Noisydad » 13 Sep 2016, 8:11 pm

Lady Noisy's Lee Production Pot works well now. Bottom pour melters can all leak from their valve even from new. Dirty lead makes it worse so only use clean ingot lead in any of them. If they drip or even run you can fix it by cleaning out the pot then lap the valve into its seat with automotive valve grind paste and it'l seal up nicely.
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 15 Sep 2016, 10:14 am

I just use a saucepan and a spoon ;-)
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by TheDude » 15 Sep 2016, 5:41 pm

I use a Lee bottom pour for 1:20 alloy for black powder cartridge and a Lyman with dipper for pure for 12ga slugs and the muzzle loaders

The bottom pour is good, get a few drips but usually can just tighten the adjustment screw and it stops.
TheDude
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by juststarting » 16 Sep 2016, 2:08 am

I was planning to ask the same question in a slightly different way, so may as well do it here and keep it all in one thread.

Planning to start casting, not planning to buy a furnace or anything fancy. A mould, lead ladle, old pot and a BBQ in my backyard...

With that in mind, overlooking all fluxing and purification processes, etc. My question is: is it possible to mess things up that way? Just by having the alloy sitting in a pot on the BBQ in melted form without temperature regulation (I assume fumes would be one of the issues)?

I know that there are issues with opening the mould when the alloy is too hot or the mould is too cold, but besides that, are there issues with the actual alloy sitting on the BBQ without temperature regulator?
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 16 Sep 2016, 2:15 am

juststarting wrote:I was planning to ask the same question in a slightly different way, so may as well do it here and keep it all in one thread.

Planning to start casting, not planning to buy a furnace or anything fancy. A mould, lead ladle, old pot and a BBQ in my backyard...

With that in mind, overlooking all fluxing and purification processes, etc. My question is: is it possible to mess things up that way? Just by having the alloy sitting in a pot on the BBQ in melted form without temperature regulation (I assume fumes would be one of the issues)?

I know that there are issues with opening the mould when the alloy is too hot or the mould is too cold, but besides that, are there issues with the actual alloy sitting on the BBQ without temperature regulator?

Is it a gas BBQ? As long as it's hot enough without getting too hot it'll be just fine.
I started just with a Lee dipper held over a gas torch and the bullets worked just fine.
Now I use a Lee Melting Pot, the bottom pour is well worth it.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 16 Sep 2016, 2:31 am

Yep, gas BBQ, Lee dipper and one of this maybe http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Lyman-Lead-Pot-2867795-/331951444080
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 16 Sep 2016, 5:11 pm

I haven't cast for a few yrs but I just used a aluminium pot on a camp stove (don't tell the Mrs ) and a home made dipper. Seemed to work ok. Try that first then if your keen buy more equipment. You can dip a piece of paper in the lead to estimate the temp. Just can't remember the colour it's meant to be. Just plenty of ventilation eg all doors open or in the back yard and u will be fine. It isn't rocket science.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 18 Sep 2016, 1:29 am

Thanks, Oldbloke. Ventilation is not as issue, doing it outside and thinking of getting a cheap respirator just in case. rest, trying to do it as cheap as possible.

Now, fellas, alloy acquisition in Melbourne? I am thinking, my mechanic and ask for wheel weights, then sort those. I did see a mention of smelter that sells bullet alloy, but upon email - that's a tad too expensive (maybe a one of minimum purchase to give it a go, but I still prefer to do it the cheaparse way from the start).
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 18 Sep 2016, 7:07 am

"Thanks, Oldbloke. Ventilation is not as issue, doing it outside and thinking of getting a cheap respirator just in case. rest, trying to do it as cheap as possible."
As someone said a spoon will work as a dipper.
If your doing it outside dont bother with the respirator. You wont know what type to buy snyway and its a hobby not 40 hrs a week.
Wheel weights are good, but these days there are a few different metals used so sorting will be required. And you will need to melt them down to ingots to clean them up.
I managed to scrounge mine by just asking around.
Mmm I think I used 50/50 lead and wheel weights for my 3006.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gamerancher » 18 Sep 2016, 8:55 am

Visit a scrap yard and see if they will sell you any old roof flashing they may have. Go to a pistol range and pick up all the lead bullets you can, when not in use obviously. :roll:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Gamerancher » 18 Sep 2016, 9:10 am

allthegearandnoidea wrote:Hi All

I'm looking at getting the Lee Pro 4 caster - anyone have one ...or a better idea?

Cheers

Steve

The 20lb Lee bottom pour is a good pot, I've been using one for 10 years, just use clean lead in it. It is usually crud on the bottom of the pot that makes them leak. I melt all of my "raw" product down in a large steel pot on a gas-ring and make "clean" ingots to use in my electric pots. I use a Lyman "Big Dipper" pot and ladle for pouring larger bullets for my BPCR rifles.
How much casting are you planning on doing?
Maybe have a look on Lymans website, you can buy a kit off them that includes an electric pot (230V), lube-sizer, ladle, latest edition of "The Cast Bullet Handbook" plus a couple of extras for under $300US. According to their website, they will post to Aus.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by trumpychris » 21 Sep 2016, 10:53 am

I have the Lee 20lb Pro 4 bottom pour. I spent years stuffing around with a ladle and a saucepan and looking back, I should have bought the Lee years ago. It now takes me just over half the time to cast the same number of projectiles.

I purchased mine from a seller on ebay, midwayaustralia for $155 delivered. I don't have a lubrisizer, I lube with LLA, then use the Lee push through sizer dies and then re-lube with LLA.

I buy WW from a scrappy for 60c per kilogram. Makes for really cheap shooting. Come to think of it, I've never ever fired a commercially produced projectile from my Chief's Special.

As stated above, only use clean lead in a bottom pour.
President - Law Abiding Firearm Owners Inc. - lafo.com.au

Guns = Way too many to list
Favourite Rifle = Parker Hale 1861 Enfield Musketoon .577
Favourite Handgun = Ruger SR1911 .45acp
trumpychris
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Return to Reloading ammunition