Bullet puller success

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Bullet puller success

Post by Hinky » 16 Nov 2013, 5:37 am

Not that this should be a surprise that it worked well, but anyway...

I pulled a few bullets yesterday for a mate for his .308 using one of the kinetic bullet pullers.

Gotta say, there was a freaky moment there of driving a hammer with a bullet in it into the ground :lol:

Unseated them all no worries at all though, so happy days :)

A first had example of not blowing fingers off for anyone who's got some reservations about a kinetic puller :D
Mosin Nagant M1891
Sako Finnbear L61R 25-06
Browning T-Bolt .22LR Sporter
Browning BL22
Hinky
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Re: Bullet puller success

Post by Aster » 17 Nov 2013, 8:12 am

Yep they work perfectly well.

I know what you mean about the swinging the hammer for the first time though :D
See you on the firing line.
Aster

-

Post by Hardcast » 19 Nov 2013, 2:02 pm

Yep been there, actually broke an RCBS puller, once upon a time.
Crimped take some wacking. :lol:
Hardcast
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Press » 19 Nov 2013, 6:04 pm

Hardcast wrote:Crimped take some wacking. :lol:

Tell me about it.

The first time I did it I did about 50 non-crimped bullets, no worries.

Did my first crimped ones... Felt sure I was going to smash the hammer to pieces trying to get them out.
Howa 'bout it?

Howa Hunter 308
Marlin 444
Howa Talon 25-06
Winchester 1900 22LR
Press
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Brute » 19 Nov 2013, 6:20 pm

Hardcast wrote:Crimped take some wacking. :lol:

Hadn't thought of that...

Is there a trick to it or just bash away?
The Hammer of Dawn
Brute
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by auriga3 » 18 Sep 2016, 12:55 pm

I managed to break the cap that the bullet sits in on a Lyman bullet puller,i contacted Lyman who sent a replacement puller free of charge,didnt expect it as i wanted to try & buy the cap.Thanks to Lyman
auriga3
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by on_one_wheel » 18 Sep 2016, 1:30 pm

When using kinetic bullet pullers, make sure you smack it against the end grain of a large peice of wood.
This will prevent damage to the puller, loads of people crack them.

Also stop and check that the cap is still tight every 10 hits or so, after a while you can hear when it is coming loose. Having the cap come loose is another sure way to damage the puller.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by juststarting » 18 Sep 2016, 1:39 pm

Took apart 150 surplus 7.62 rounds with a kinetic hammer. Works flawlessly. I do get a little terrified every time I swing that hammer :p Gogles on.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 18 Sep 2016, 2:22 pm

If I need to pull a few I use an RCBS. No hammer. :D
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 18 Sep 2016, 2:31 pm

I use them against the heal of my boot.
Never tried getting .17's out kinetically yet but .20's are hard work. Easiest way to pull them is through the muzzle :-)
Big bullets are easy, sometimes only need one hit.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by AusTac » 18 Sep 2016, 3:26 pm

A house brick in a tea towel or too for me, never had a problem :)

Did almost blow a few fingers off attempting to make a dummy .22 for someone, but thats another story
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by ebr love » 28 Sep 2016, 2:33 pm

Do tell :mrgreen:
TIKKA T3 TAC .300 WIN MAG
HOW SPORTER 270 WIN
HOWA YOUTH .204 RUGER
MARLIN 1889 .38-40
ebr love
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Wm.Traynor » 30 Sep 2016, 9:49 am

I had to use mine yesterday to slightly "unseat" a bullet in a 30/30 case, which had been seated a bit too deep. It took 4 hard whacks against the concrete floor after the first go which told me I was hitting too soft. This bullet was not crimped BTW, so when I finally get this rifle working properly, I might forget crimping and see what happens. That bullet was really Tight and it wasn't even removed completely, just moved a bit.

More to the point, this puller was bought from Mick Smith's in Sydney in the late sixties. The price tag has faded and its cardboard box has had major surgery but the puller, a Guns 'n' Ammo brand, is still going strong :D unlike its owner who is a bit dodgy.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Bills Shed » 30 Sep 2016, 11:41 am

bladeracer wrote:I use them against the heal of my boot.
Never tried getting .17's out kinetically yet but .20's are hard work. Easiest way to pull them is through the muzzle :-)
Big bullets are easy, sometimes only need one hit.

Agree, I tried to do a couple of 17H yesterday, no joy. Kinetic energy of a 17 gn projectile is very low if there is no burning powder behind it.

Bill
Swaging your own projectiles is the ultimate in flexibility.
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by bigfellascott » 30 Sep 2016, 12:36 pm

I hate the hammer pullers, much rather the press mounted versions, quick and simple to use and ya don't work up a sweat doing it LOL
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Tripod » 30 Sep 2016, 2:08 pm

For crimped or old tight rounds just put them in your press and wind the seater down so that you push them a bit further into the case, It breaks the seal sort of thing.
Tripod
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by coroboreeboy » 01 Oct 2016, 9:36 pm

To break the seal, just put the round on the bench and hit the projectile with a hammer.

Oh and, by the way, don't forget to seat the bullet in a case holder so that the primer doesn't make contact with the bench. That part is quite important actually.
coroboreeboy
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by duncan61 » 04 Oct 2016, 11:22 pm

kinetic hammers work great
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 05 Oct 2016, 12:27 am

duncan61 wrote:kinetic hammers work great

Tell me that after you've pulled a heap of em :D I got sick of bashing the concrete so went a bought the RCBS setup for the Press and it's heaps better to use, you have to be careful to not crush the projectile but once you get a feel for it it's not a prob, nice and quick and simple and no annoying the s**t out of everyone near by with all the hammering and swearing :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFLn-QIlom8
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by duncan61 » 05 Oct 2016, 12:40 am

I have never seen that.Much better.If I had a lot of cases I would get one of them
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 05 Oct 2016, 6:57 am

duncan61 wrote:I have never seen that.Much better.If I had a lot of cases I would get one of them

Definitely worth owning Duncan, I think mine cost around $50 mark so around double the cost of the hammer ones but much nicer to use and quicker, the hammer ones are ok if you only have a couple to pull but when you have quite a few this one is the go IMO. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by brett1868 » 05 Oct 2016, 7:35 am

bigfellascott wrote:

Tell me that after you've pulled a heap of em :D I got sick of bashing the concrete so went a bought the RCBS setup for the Press and it's heaps better to use, you have to be careful to not crush the projectile but once you get a feel for it it's not a prob, nice and quick and simple and no annoying the s**t out of everyone near by with all the hammering and swearing :lol:

I have this puller but in the larger 1.5" version to pull 50cal and 416Barrett and it works well. One thing I did find is when pulling projectiles from factory crimped rounds the tension required to lock the projectile into the collet is substantial and I had to use a plastic "dead-blow" hammer to unseat the projectile. Once unseated the die needs to be held with multigrips so it doesn't unscrew from the press. I tried seating the projectile a fraction deeper first to break the crimp but that didn't help any. One day if I get time I'm going to build a proper hydraulic press for this sort of task or maybe a longer handle is easier fro now.
When I load on the Dillon I have a small tub for rejects that fail the case gauge which get pulled apart when I get a few. I spent a good hour last night with the hammer pulling 30 rounds apart. A block of hardwood is a must along with a leather glove as I find with the hammer can "sting" a little on the hand. Projectiles are recovered, primers removed and placed in a baggie while I burn off the powder and crush the brass with pliers before placing in the bin.
Collet and hammer both have their place but if you're looking for a collet puller then the RCBS is fine but check if the collets are available before purchasing, I had to order the 50 / 416 collets from the U.S which wasn't cheap. The cam-lock Hornady puller looks good as well but I'm yet to try one.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 05 Oct 2016, 9:11 am

brett1868 wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:

I have this puller but in the larger 1.5" version to pull 50cal and 416Barrett and it works well. One thing I did find is when pulling projectiles from factory crimped rounds the tension required to lock the projectile into the collet is substantial and I had to use a plastic "dead-blow" hammer to unseat the projectile. Once unseated the die needs to be held with multigrips so it doesn't unscrew from the press. I tried seating the projectile a fraction deeper first to break the crimp but that didn't help any. One day if I get time I'm going to build a proper hydraulic press for this sort of task or maybe a longer handle is easier fro now.
When I load on the Dillon I have a small tub for rejects that fail the case gauge which get pulled apart when I get a few. I spent a good hour last night with the hammer pulling 30 rounds apart. A block of hardwood is a must along with a leather glove as I find with the hammer can "sting" a little on the hand. Projectiles are recovered, primers removed and placed in a baggie while I burn off the powder and crush the brass with pliers before placing in the bin.
Collet and hammer both have their place but if you're looking for a collet puller then the RCBS is fine but check if the collets are available before purchasing, I had to order the 50 / 416 collets from the U.S which wasn't cheap. The cam-lock Hornady puller looks good as well but I'm yet to try one.

Yeah I'd imagine the bigger rounds would be fun to pull apart :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Lorgar » 11 Oct 2016, 1:41 pm

I got through about 120 .308 rounds or something with my RCBS kinetic puller, by then the case rims had sheared through the collet making it unable to hold cases.

Was at the end of what I needed to do at least but for $40 not the best value.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 11 Oct 2016, 2:08 pm

Buy a real one next time :D the ones that go in the press are the go I reckon if you have to do highish volumes, if you are only doing 1 or 2 here and there the Kinetics are ok but I reckon for the extra $10-$20 its worth investing in one you should have for life.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Lorgar » 11 Oct 2016, 2:44 pm

In hindsight a 'proper' one could have been the way to go.

Neither here nor there now really though as there won't be a 'next time'.

I got it when I bought my 7mm and pulled the .308 cartridges I already had loaded.

Only shoot the 7mm these days so won't need to do it again, just a once off.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by auriga3 » 17 Apr 2017, 3:53 pm

While i was waiting for a new bullet puller i put the round in the case holder of the press ,raised the ram so the bullet projected out of the top of the press & grabbed the bullet with a pair of pliers.I then lowered the ram & removed the bullet from the case.Didnt seem to damage the bullet.
auriga3
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 17 Apr 2017, 4:05 pm

So, I have the rcbs collect type and happy with it.
If you use pliers your likely to damage them but if it's just a dozen or so probably one way to go. You can also use a fired case by placing it over the bullet and working it left to right. If the bullets sustain minor damage use them as foulers.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Wm.Traynor » 17 Apr 2017, 7:22 pm

Lorgar wrote:I got through about 120 .308 rounds or something with my RCBS kinetic puller, by then the case rims had sheared through the collect making it unable to hold cases..

That's really strange :huh: I have lost count of the number pulled by my Kinetic in the last 40 odd years but the shell-holders have not "turned a hair" :D
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Sako308 » 22 Apr 2017, 10:59 am

Invest in a Hornady Cam-Lock bullet puller and never look back..

https://huntsmanfirearms.com.au/catalogue/hornady-cam-lock-bullet-puller_1355/

2bdb3c938eb446e5cd80b96adb12e311.jpg
2bdb3c938eb446e5cd80b96adb12e311.jpg (14.27 KiB) Viewed 5277 times
Sako308
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Return to Reloading ammunition