Your process - powder measures/throwers/auto chargers, etc.

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Your process - powder measures/throwers/auto chargers, etc.

Post by juststarting » 20 Sep 2016, 2:16 am

I've been reloading for a about a year now, little over. Started with a 308 case for a trickler, small plastic party spoon for a scoop and cheap RCBS balance beam scales - works fine, but mind numbingly slow.

I had a chance to use few other tricklers and honestly opted to stay with 308 case that I've grown quite fond off, best trickler ever! I have upgraded to some random Lee scoop that came with a set of dies (I know roughly by volume how much I need to scoop on to the scales before trickling) and I purchased a $30 digital jewellery scales that turned out to be crazy accurate, but there are few gotchas with them too. I usually throw on digital scales, then on beam scales to verify and while magnetic dampeners on the beam scales come down, I throw the next charge on the digital scales. The process works, it's a reasonably faster and a bit more sane when loading 50-100 rounds of the same charge. It's a lot slower when I am working up a load half or one grain per batch.

Essentially I am pedantic and have no plans to move to - check every 5th or whatever... I would like to continue with the same validation routine, every charge, but at faster pace.

I was wondering, what do you guys use for this? Do you use beam scales only, powder thrower + scales, something automated (e.g. Hornady Lock N Load Auto Charge), etc?

What's your overall process?

Cheers
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Re: Your process - powder measures/throwers/auto chargers, e

Post by bladeracer » 20 Sep 2016, 3:47 am

juststarting wrote:I've been reloading for a about a year now, little over. Started with a 308 case for a trickler, small plastic party spoon for a scoop and cheap RCBS balance beam scales - works fine, but mind numbingly slow.

I had a chance to use few other tricklers and honestly opted to stay with 308 case that I've grown quite fond off, best trickler ever! I have upgraded to some random Lee scoop that came with a set of dies (I know roughly by volume how much I need to scoop on to the scales before trickling) and I purchased a $30 digital jewellery scales that turned out to be crazy accurate, but there are few gotchas with them too. I usually throw on digital scales, then on beam scales to verify and while magnetic dampeners on the beam scales come down, I throw the next charge on the digital scales. The process works, it's a reasonably faster and a bit more sane when loading 50-100 rounds of the same charge. It's a lot slower when I am working up a load half or one grain per batch.

Essentially I am pedantic and have no plans to move to - check every 5th or whatever... I would like to continue with the same validation routine, every charge, but at faster pace.

I was wondering, what do you guys use for this? Do you use beam scales only, powder thrower + scales, something automated (e.g. Hornady Lock N Load Auto Charge), etc?

What's your overall process?

Cheers

Similar to what you do. I started reloading when I was seventeen, before the internet, working on the premise that even a single granule over would blow my .222 up :-)
I throw every charge onto a $300 Gempro250 scale using Lee dippers. I have a trickler but most often I just trickle from the dipper, just don't sneeze.
One trick though, I throw the first charge on the scale then zero the scale.
That way I'm trickling my charges "down" to 00.00gns instead of up to a specific number.
Before this I've caught myself accidentally throwing 38.4gns instead of 37.4gns for example - easily done, especially during load development when you're loading different charges.

Although this is my technique and I'm not looking to change it, I've thrown enough powder from dippers to know that they're perfectly adequate for throwing charges straight into the brass. If you've worked up your loads using a "ladder" system to find the sweet spot where minor charge variations have no affect on your elevation, you can use the dippers and have ammunition just as good as weighing every charge to 0.00gns. If you're pushing maximum pressures though I'd recommend weighing every charge.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Mitch » 20 Sep 2016, 5:02 am

I use an RCBS chargemaster dispenser scale combo.

Tell it what I want, it throws that charge. I then pour into the case, tell it to do the best charge. While it does that I seat the bullet and crimp the previous case, drop into ammo box, as I finish the chargemaster beeps to say next load ready. Rinse & repeat.

Very quick and efficient
Mitch
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 20 Sep 2016, 11:39 am

I also weigh every charge

I use a lee powder dipper from a set of dippers, powder trickler and balance beam.

The lee powder dippers really speed things up when compared to using a spoon, there are enough in a kit that you'll find one that dips just the right amount so you either get it exactly right or only need to add the tiniest bit of power and you're there.

If you follow the proper lee dipping instructions its amazing how consistent they are.
Screenshot_2016-09-20-11-11-13.png
Screenshot_2016-09-20-11-11-13.png (397.99 KiB) Viewed 6720 times
Last edited by on_one_wheel on 20 Sep 2016, 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Gwion » 20 Sep 2016, 11:50 am

RCBS powder thrower. Little home made scoop to "trickle up to charge". RCBS 505 balance beam.

- Throw under charge.
- Trickle up.
- Fill case.
- Throw next charge.
- Set case into press and seat bullet while balance settles.
- Trickle up to charge....
repeat from step 3

Seems to work ok for me. I am also a "weigh every charge" kind'a guy. Time consuming but i like my loads as consistent as i can possibly get them.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by juststarting » 20 Sep 2016, 12:03 pm

I was thinking about a powder thrower, like the RCBS one, but they are so damn expensive all things considered. As much as a good single stage press in some cases. Never understood why thought.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by sandgroperbill » 20 Sep 2016, 12:15 pm

I use dippers, electronic scales and balance beam to verify, but my next purchase will be a lee perfect powder measure
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Gwion » 20 Sep 2016, 1:04 pm

juststarting wrote:I was thinking about a powder thrower, like the RCBS one, but they are so damn expensive all things considered. As much as a good single stage press in some cases. Never understood why thought.

Bought all my gear in a kit from the states when the dollar was 1:1. $500 has saved me much more than that in ammo costs.... just need a proper trickler because my little scoop is a pretty agricultural approach and takes up time i'd rather not spend reloading.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by juststarting » 20 Sep 2016, 1:18 pm

I have a trickler but I found it to be so amazingly awkward, compared to using a case, that I went back to using a spent case. Trickler has horizontal rotation movement... You know what I mean. With a case you can tilt it or move it around, which makes it a lot easier to drop a granule, rather than two or three, as you would with a trickler. Just my two cents.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 20 Sep 2016, 1:28 pm

Maybe i should post a pick of my little scoop, then you'll know what i'm talking about! :LOL:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by sandgroperbill » 20 Sep 2016, 1:29 pm

I'm picturing something akin to a corn cob pipe...
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Gwion » 20 Sep 2016, 1:37 pm

sandgroperbill wrote:I'm picturing something akin to a corn cob pipe...

That's being generous! :huh: If only it were that sophisticated!
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by juststarting » 20 Sep 2016, 1:39 pm

Pic, do it.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 20 Sep 2016, 1:43 pm

I put some powder in the little tea cup and scoop it up with an old 22 case held I copper wire. Works ok. I can generally correct my charge pretty quick as I can eye out how much I need.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (793.44 KiB) Viewed 6695 times
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by juststarting » 20 Sep 2016, 1:48 pm

Nice!
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 20 Sep 2016, 8:07 pm

I weigh every charge. I use a home made dipper/scoop. A copy of the lee. I have a few now, just make them as I need them out of empty cases. One is adjustable with a screw in the primer pocket. :)
Then I use my home made trickler to weigh on an old set of redding powder scales. Its slow but works for me. A trickler is very easy to make. I made mine out of a plaastic pill bottle.
The trick with the scoops is to level them with a small piece of paper.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 22 Sep 2016, 3:03 pm

Just thought I would post some pics of my dippers. Some are adjustable for volume by having a screw in the primer pocket. One is 3/16" whitworth and a couple 1/4" whitworth" I think. System seems to work.
Also home made trickler. Just a pill bottle with 2 holes drilled at the appropriate height. One slightly higher than the other. A piece of lead sheeting fixed to the base to give it some stability. The tube is a piece of hollow fiber glass from an old fishing rod but any tube about 1/4" in dia would do.(perhaps an old biro?) Insulation tape to act as a stop and a small hole drilled/ground into the tube to pick up the powder grains.
The best recommendation is to copy. So I copied Gwions tiny 22 dipper idea. :}

Dippers sml.jpg
Various DIY dippers
Dippers sml.jpg (321.1 KiB) Viewed 6651 times

Trickler sml.jpg
DIY Trickler
Trickler sml.jpg (353.14 KiB) Viewed 6651 times

Trickler 2 sml.jpg
DIY Trickler disasembled
Trickler 2 sml.jpg (228.8 KiB) Viewed 6651 times
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 22 Sep 2016, 3:07 pm

That's fantastic, oldbloke! I like the measuring spoons, think I'll have to see how much ar2208 they hold and some may go missing from the kitchen. The variable scoop is very neat too.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 22 Sep 2016, 3:44 pm

Might use that trickler idea! :thumbsup:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Oldbloke » 22 Sep 2016, 5:45 pm

I'll take that as a compliment.
Actually that is what this forum is all about.. Exchange of knowledge and ideas. :)
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gamerancher » 22 Sep 2016, 11:39 pm

Oldbloke wrote:I'll take that as a compliment.
Actually that is what this forum is all about.. Exchange of knowledge and ideas. :)

F#ck is it! And here I was thinking it was just a P*ssing contest. :sarcasm:

It's great to see other fella's idea's and innovations. While it's nice to have all the "must have" gear I love seeing blokes build their own stuff that does the job just as well. You aught to see my arrangement for throwing black powder! Rough but it works for me. :thumbsup:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by 5Tom » 25 Sep 2016, 2:01 pm

I've been using the hornady lock'n load auto dispenser for a long time. Have been trying to make good consistent ammo and I just started getting the ball park charge from the Hornady LnL then trickle it into the Lee beam scale (one that came with the press). I have found the auto dispenser can be off and often throws over the charge weight, which is frustrating so the beam scale although slower, is far more accurate and consistent.
5Tom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 25 Sep 2016, 2:09 pm

Chargemaster Combo user here, simple and quick to do now (used to use balance beam scales, tricklers etc etc, don't need any of that now, I just set it up and forget it type thing now, it automatically throws the next charge once the pans replaced on the scales, whilst it doing that I seat the projectile in the previous case that was charged then into the ammo box.

I can't see myself going back to the old ways anytime soon.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bladeracer » 25 Sep 2016, 2:12 pm

5Tom wrote:I've been using the hornady lock'n load auto dispenser for a long time. Have been trying to make good consistent ammo and I just started getting the ball park charge from the Hornady LnL then trickle it into the Lee beam scale (one that came with the press). I have found the auto dispenser can be off and often throws over the charge weight, which is frustrating so the beam scale although slower, is far more accurate and consistent.

Good information.
I have the Lee Perfect Powder Measure but I've never used it as I just have zero faith in a powder thrower of any kind.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 25 Sep 2016, 2:23 pm

bigfellascott wrote:Chargemaster Combo user here, simple and quick to do now (used to use balance beam scales, tricklers etc etc, don't need any of that now, I just set it up and forget it type thing now, it automatically throws the next charge once the pans replaced on the scales, whilst it doing that I seat the projectile in the previous case that was charged then into the ammo box.

Sounds good, but $900 is a hell of a gamble for me just to save a few minutes in a loading session :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gamerancher » 25 Sep 2016, 3:36 pm

Manual powder throwers all take some getting used to. Consistency not only depends on the unit but how consistently you manipulate it. Slamming the handle up and down will give a different charge to a steady throw. Developing a steady consistent throw will give consistent charges. I throw anything from 4gr of pistol powder to 70-odd grains of black-powder ( yes -shock horror, running black-powder through plastic) through the Lee throwers that I have with excellent consistency. Also I have found with the Lee that you'll get better results by positioning the case before lifting the handle.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by sandgroperbill » 25 Sep 2016, 4:05 pm

bladeracer wrote:Good information.
I have the Lee Perfect Powder Measure but I've never used it as I just have zero faith in a powder thrower of any kind.

Are you looking to sell it?
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 25 Sep 2016, 4:30 pm

sandgroperbill wrote:
bladeracer wrote:Good information.

Are you looking to sell it?

Not particularly, and they're only about $50 to buy anyway.

Got lots of bits and pieces I don't use - like the Lee Primer feeders, Lee and Redding beam scales, RCBS case trimmer, crimp dies, full-length dies, and my old .222 Lee Loader - but they all go in a big box just in case I ever need something.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 25 Sep 2016, 4:41 pm

bladeracer wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:Chargemaster Combo user here, simple and quick to do now (used to use balance beam scales, tricklers etc etc, don't need any of that now, I just set it up and forget it type thing now, it automatically throws the next charge once the pans replaced on the scales, whilst it doing that I seat the projectile in the previous case that was charged then into the ammo box.

Sounds good, but $900 is a hell of a gamble for me just to save a few minutes in a loading session :-)

FMD are they that much now :shock: I payed half that thank fook - have a look at the Harrols throwers they go great and are quick and reliable from what I'm told. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigrich » 02 Sep 2018, 5:56 pm

i know this is a old post ( not realy computer savy enough to start a new one ) , can anyone add any new information to this subject ? looking at replacing cheap digital scales that came with my hornady kit, i'm thinking about lyman pro-touch scales, but like the idea of auto charging. any advice would be appreciated :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Next

Return to Reloading ammunition