.223 case trim length? And G'day!

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

.223 case trim length? And G'day!

Post by deadkitty » 20 Sep 2016, 4:28 pm

G'day, I've been reloading for about 18months so still have a lot to learn. I'm reloading for a Savage model14/ 114 American Classic in .223Rem. I've been sucked into trying different powders and different bullets types and weights, but primarily my objective is for a highly accurate hunting load. I shoot cats, wild dogs, foxes and the occassional bunny. I use ADI powders 2206H, Benchmark1 and BM2, BM8208 and for sub sonic loads Trail Boss, bullets are 50gr Zmax, 55gr Sierra spitzer and Nosler 64grn Interbond and 69gr HPBT. I have been trying to keep my cartridge length close to maximum in an effort to get maximum reloads out of each case, but I've noticed the trim length in the ADI reloading manual varies per projectile, I 've been keeping my coal below the max (2.254-2.256) am I doing this right?, or should I be following the trim lengths suggested?.
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead, it's only difficult for the others,
it's the same when you are stupid.
deadkitty
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Re: .223 case trim length? And G'day!

Post by SendIt » 12 Oct 2016, 2:48 pm

Just to take a step back here, a few things are getting muddled in the question.

deadkitty wrote:I have been trying to keep my cartridge length close to maximum in an effort to get maximum reloads out of each case, but I've noticed the trim length in the ADI reloading manual varies per projectile.

Where did you read ADI provide different trim lengths for the same same cartridge with different projectiles? You sure you don't mean COAL is different with different projectiles?

deadkitty wrote:I 've been keeping my coal below the max (2.254-2.256) am I doing this right?, or should I be following the trim lengths suggested?.

You'll know some of this but lets just get a few fundamentals clear from the get go.

Trim length is the length an empty case should be trimmed to. There is no 1 exact length that is 'correct'. There is safe range which is between the trim length (minimum), and a maximum length. A case must be trimmed before exceeding this length. These numbers are firm, don't go outside of them.

COAL is the 'cartridge over all length'. The length of a cartridge loaded with a projectile.

You are right here that the COAL length does vary with different projectiles, this is because different shape projectiles will be difference distances from the rifling depending on the shape of the bullet if the COAL of both cartridges is the same.

Read this post by Aster (has pictures instead of my typing a long explanation) - How Vital/Dangerous is out of spec COL

Do you follow?
Sako 85 Hunter Laminated Stainless 30-06 Sprg
Zeiss Conquest HD5 2-10x42

Winchester 1892 44-40
SendIt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 12 Oct 2016, 7:53 pm

32nd of an inch is 20 thou or half a mm. It seems to be a good starting point and often recomended. You can then try a little closer or further away from the lands if you wish.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by deadkitty » 13 Oct 2016, 6:00 am

Thanks Sendit , it was the coal that was different in the ADI booklet, you cleared that up for me nicely i.e. "COAL length does vary with different projectiles, this is because different shape projectiles will be difference distances from the rifling depending on the shape of the bullet if the COAL of both cartridges is the same.", finally the penny drops!.
Thanks old bloke, I measure and trim every case to just under the max case length as described and I'm just starting to work on improving accuracy by seating bullets at different depths.... but I'll have to watch out for what sendit pointed out, duly noted. Thanks guys
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead, it's only difficult for the others,
deadkitty
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Rakk » 13 Oct 2016, 12:31 pm

Do some searching for seating bullets just off the lands.

Delves into the information on finding the ideal COAL that you'll want.
Rakk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by deadkitty » 13 Oct 2016, 2:50 pm

Rakk wrote:Do some searching for seating bullets just off the lands.

Delves into the information on finding the ideal COAL that you'll want.

Thanks mate...done that :thumbsup: Cheers
deadkitty
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Tonit » 27 Oct 2016, 2:42 pm

Rakk wrote:Do some searching for seating bullets just off the lands.

aka the biggest pain in the ass of reloading :lol:
.22-250 Howa Thumbhole Varminter + Weaver Classic 4-20x50
.308 Howa Hunter + Weaver Classic 2-10x50
Tonit
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Return to Reloading ammunition