hornady or lyman

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

hornady or lyman

Post by johnhunts » 04 Oct 2016, 2:32 pm

First Hi all,
My Question is which kit is better for the novice reloader. The Lyman T-Mag deluxe or the Hornady Lock'n'Load classic?
I will be reloading 338winmag 243 win & 35 whelan.
Thanks for all info.
John
johnhunts
Recruit
Recruit

-

Re: hornady or lyman

Post by Mick280 » 05 Oct 2016, 3:11 pm

I reload for all of my centre fire gear using the Hornady lock and load classic!!
Had it for years and it's never given me any problems!!!
Mick.
Not enough Lever Gunsll
Mick280
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by COLLECTOR 1 » 05 Oct 2016, 8:52 pm

Hi.... I use the Lyman T mags. They never let me down. I've got 2 and they have been literally flogged for 20 odd years. I have spare turrets that have the dies locked in and it's just a matter of swapping over turrets. I reload for about 30 calibre's so you can imagine the pain I would go through changing dies one at a time in an O frame press. The Hornady lock and load system works well, a mate of mine swears by it, but as an O frame it can become a bit teadious swapping dies. The 6 hole turrets on the Lyman lend themselves to neck, FLS and seater for 2 calibres which is time saving, just turn the turret to suit, to easy. The only thing to remember with T mags is to lock the adjustable rod at the rear of the press up hard against the underside of the turret, that way they are truely rock solid when FLSing

Just to add one other comment, I run a Lyman powder thrower on one of my T mags. Very precise and small enough not to be a pain when turning the turret. Hornady powder throwers when fitted up in the lock and load system sit a bit to high for my liking

Hope that helps.

Collector 1
More Brno's than you can poke a stick at..!!!!
COLLECTOR 1
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Broom » 11 Oct 2016, 2:40 pm

Never had a Hornady product I was disappointed with.
Ruger Gunsite Scout in three oh eight. Oh yeah!
Broom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by juststarting » 12 Oct 2016, 9:17 am

John, you might find this useful:
http://myshootingjourney.com/2015/12/20 ... -part-1-2/

Honestly, looking back at it, I would buy individually and avoid kits. You are not going to get everything you need in the kit. And the kit is not going to include quality tools that matter. For example scales - beam or digital, unless you go for the top of the line kits, in which case you would probably have significant savings buying individually anyway.

I would start with making a list and looking for things on eBay. Try to buy from the same seller and just before you get to the payment stage, message them to combine shipping costs on your stuff - also big savings. Money that you do save is better spent on bullets and powder. Hope this helps.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by johnhunts » 12 Oct 2016, 10:57 am

thanks for the response was watching a lyman on ebay but they just put the buy now price up by $300.I think it stinks
johnhunts
Recruit
Recruit

-

Post by Brute » 13 Oct 2016, 8:38 am

Go the Hornady gear.
The Hammer of Dawn
Brute
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Vati » 19 Oct 2016, 10:56 am

Most of the Lyman gear doesn't leap out at me either I've gotta say.

Hornady IMO.
Reach out and touch...
Vati
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 19 Oct 2016, 2:54 pm

Broom wrote:Never had a Hornady product I was disappointed with.

I have - their bloody dies! never again. :thumbsdown:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 19 Oct 2016, 3:06 pm

juststarting wrote:John, you might find this useful:

Honestly, looking back at it, I would buy individually and avoid kits. You are not going to get everything you need in the kit. And the kit is not going to include quality tools that matter. For example scales - beam or digital, unless you go for the top of the line kits, in which case you would probably have significant savings buying individually anyway.

I would start with making a list and looking for things on eBay. Try to buy from the same seller and just before you get to the payment stage, message them to combine shipping costs on your stuff - also big savings. Money that you do save is better spent on bullets and powder. Hope this helps.

Yeah I agree - I found when I bought my Lyman kit it came with stuff I didn't really use or need (gave it away to those who could use it).

I guess you have to sit down and really work out what you need and honestly I think I'd buy individual components as I needed them - that way you can work out what will or won't be of use to you as you go along.

Main things you will use in reloading are:

Press

Dies (3 die set)

Primer Tool

Powder Funnel

Scales

Deburring Tool

Reloading Manual -Nick Harveys better than the yank versions with powders we don't use or you have to find the names and convert them to the aussie brands) easier to just get his book and learn how to reload using powders we get here.

Reloading Block (I make these out of timber off cuts (drill a heap of holes in them to suit the cal you reload for) saves a few $$ and works every bit as good as the bought ones.

Lube (Hornady One Shot and a zip lock bag soon has the cases lubed up and ready to reload

That should see most up and running and reloading in no time

You can also get reloading data from the ADI website and as always start at the recommended min load for your particular firearm and work up gradually keeping an eye out for any potential pressure signs (the manual will tell you all about that side of reloading anyway so definitely get one of those and read it before venturing into the reloading caper. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by brett1868 » 19 Oct 2016, 4:33 pm

What sate are you located in? Might be able to point you towards some shops in your area. Depending on the attitude of your local Gunshop it's a good idea to build a relationship with them. Some shops actually value patronage and repeat business customers and generally look after you better with discounts and prices. Zhen from MidwayAus on eBay carries a lot of the Lee gear along with various brands of dies. http://stores.ebay.com.au/midwayaustralia/ Don't rule out other brands such as RCBS.
As the others said, make a list then work through filling it as finance allows.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by johnhunts » 19 Oct 2016, 5:28 pm

bigfellascott wrote:

Yeah I agree - I found when I bought my Lyman kit it came with stuff I didn't really use or need (gave it away to those who could use it).

I guess you have to sit down and really work out what you need and honestly I think I'd buy individual components as I needed them - that way you can work out what will or won't be of use to you as you go along.

Press

Dies (3 die set)

Primer Tool

Powder Funnel

Scales

Deburring Tool

Reloading Manual -Nick Harveys better than the yank versions with powders we don't use or you have to find the names and convert them to the aussie brands) easier to just get his book and learn how to reload using powders we get here.

Reloading Block (I make these out of timber off cuts (drill a heap of holes in them to suit the cal you reload for) saves a few $$ and works every bit as good as the bought ones.

Lube (Hornady One Shot and a zip lock bag soon has the cases lubed up and ready to reload

You can also get reloading data from the ADI website and as always start at the recommended min load for your particular firearm and work up gradually keeping an eye out for any potential pressure signs (the manual will tell you all about that side of reloading anyway so definitely get one of those and read it before venturing into the reloading caper. :thumbsup:

I will take the advice given & write a list then shop around

Thanks Again for the information
John
johnhunts
Recruit
Recruit

-

Post by bigfellascott » 19 Oct 2016, 8:17 pm

johnhunts wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:

Press

Dies (3 die set)

Primer Tool

Powder Funnel

Scales

Deburring Tool

I will take the advice given & write a list then shop around

Thanks Again for the information
John

Your welcome mate, have a look on forums like Australian Hunting Net (AHN) they often have people selling all manner of gear so you can save a few $$ buying 2nd hand presses, dies, scales etc etc, they also often have projectiles, cases etc up for sale so worth checking there regularly to save a few $$ too, or post a wanted ad and list what you are after, often people will reply with help with things you may be after.

Good luck and enjoy the new hobby - it can be expensive to get set up but it's worth it in the long run I reckon, especially as your firearms collection grows and you reload for other cals etc :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by brett1868 » 19 Oct 2016, 9:02 pm

With reloading gear it's a buy once cry once, most of it should last a lifetime and in years to come if you leave the sport you'll still get some money back selling it.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Wylie27 » 20 Oct 2016, 6:40 am

I didn't cry when i got my press. $90 for Lee pro 1000 setup for 9mm. Then $20 in replacement parts.. the guy claimed it was broken, wouldn't index etc.. I cleaned it......

:)
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Return to Reloading ammunition