Difference between copper plated and copper jacket bullets?

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Difference between copper plated and copper jacket bullets?

Post by jays » 13 Oct 2016, 8:43 am

What's the difference between copper plated and copper jacketed bullets?

:mrgreen:
jays
Private
Private

Victoria

Re: Difference between copper plated and copper jacket bulle

Post by bladeracer » 13 Oct 2016, 8:54 am

jays wrote:What's the difference between copper plated and copper jacketed bullets?

:mrgreen:

Copper plated bullets are basically cast lead with a protective coating.
Jacketed bullets are soft lead encased in a hard copper shell.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Turkle » 13 Oct 2016, 10:10 am

Jumping in... difference between cast lead and soft lead?
Tikka T3 Super Varmint - .22-250 Rem
Marlin XS7 - 7mm-08
Winchester 1902 - .22
Burris Eliminator / Weaver Super Slam
Turkle
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 13 Oct 2016, 10:22 am

Hard cast, not cast lead. I think it boils down to velocities you can shoot them at?
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 13 Oct 2016, 10:23 am

Turkle wrote:Jumping in... difference between cast lead and soft lead?

None.
I mean't a cast lead bullet dropped from a mould as opposed to lead poured or swaged into a jacket.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 13 Oct 2016, 10:25 am

juststarting wrote:Hard cast, not cast lead. I think it boils down to velocities you can shoot them at?

Yep, hard cast refers to the alloy used and/or heat treatment to allow higher velocities without excessive leading, and/or better penetration of game.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 13 Oct 2016, 4:24 pm

Difference is this
Copper plated or washed as sometimes used is simply electroplated, only a few microns thick. Only there for good looks. Is effectively just a lead projectile

Copper jacketed is: The jacket is made from sheet copper, perhaps 10 or 15 though of an inch thick, (sometimes thicker) then the lead is "swaged" or pressed into the jacket. Or perhaps the reverse order.

This one is jacketed.

Hornady.jpg
Hornady.jpg (4.3 KiB) Viewed 5200 times
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 13 Oct 2016, 4:28 pm

Difference is this
Copper plated or washed as sometimes used is simply electroplated, only a few microns thick. Only there for good looks. Is effectively just a lead projectile

Copper jacketed is: The jacket is made from sheet copper, perhaps 10 or 15 though of an inch thick, (sometimes thicker) then the lead is "swaged" or pressed into the jacket. Or perhaps the reverse order.

This hornady interlock is jacketed.

Hornady.jpg
Hornady.jpg (4.3 KiB) Viewed 5199 times
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 13 Oct 2016, 11:26 pm

I'll have a crack of combining all the info in 1 post....
Copper Jacketed as Oldbloke points out consists of a copper cup punch from copper alloy sheet into which a lead slug is inserted before being shaped with a series of dies (swaging) They originally developed jacketed bullets to overcome the limitations of velocity with lead. A lead bullets fouls rifles barrels and increases fouling exponentially with velocity meaning that as velocity increased barrels had to be cleaned more often which was not an ideal situation to be in when trying to shoot the enemy or practical for use in machine guns.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hkr1NS7bEUU

Copper Plated / Wiped / Coated (same thing) is generally done via electrolysis to deposit a very thin layer of copper. The reason behind this is mainly for lubrication and it's just thick enough to allowing slightly higher velocities than plain uncoated lead. Lead needs to be lubricated to reduce fouling, older style lubes were a wax/grease type but that isn't conducive to mass production. Newer style coatings using polymers or 2 pak style paints are popular but require multiple applications and drying time between coats so the next big thing was copper plating as it was a single application and thousands of projectiles could be plated very quickly in one application with minimal drying time.

Cast lead / Hard Cast lead - Lead hardness can be measured in Brinell units (HB) and depending on the use of the projectile you may want a slightly harder projectile for use in say a rifled barrel to reduce lead fouling where as in a smooth bore gun you can use a softer lead. Hardness can be controlled by "Alloying", mixing lead with small amounts of Antimony and or tin to achieve the desired Brinell hardness. I think Noisydad does a lot of casting and maybe he can add more info if required.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by juststarting » 14 Oct 2016, 7:31 am

How does gas checking come into this equation and how is it compared to other fouling reduction methods?
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Lorgar » 01 Dec 2016, 10:56 am

I'm by no means an expert on this, but my understanding of gas checks is they're only useful when you start to drive cast bullets faster.

With too much *bang* behind them, heat and gas damage the bullet and increase fouling.

The stronger gas check at the base lets you drive the bullet faster without the deformation and fouling you'd get at higher velocity without one.

That's my understanding.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 02 Dec 2016, 7:17 am

Raw lead has a brinnell hardness of ~5 bh. Hard cast lead is usually in excess of 15 bh (there's no standard so it's really up to the manufacturer's discretion/marketing strategy). Gas cutting will occur on both of these at certain pressure levels. Obviously the softer the lead, the lower the pressure needs to be to avoid gas-cutting. Copper gas checks mitigate this problem by sealing the base of the projectile, so you can push lead faster (without gas cutting occurring). Lubing will also help mitigate gas-cutting.

Then comes fouling; all lead will foul badly if you push it too hard. Again, the harder the lead, the faster it can be pushed before leading occurs. This is where coating and lubing also come into play - both help prevent leading. Coating is predominately for preventing leading, whereas lubing is both preventing leading and a gas sealant.

This is an extremely complex subject - but also a very interesting one :D
Last edited by in2anity on 02 Dec 2016, 11:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 02 Dec 2016, 7:35 am

in2anity wrote:Raw lead has a brinnell hardness of ~8 bh. Hard cast lead is usually in excess of 15 bh (there's no standard so it's really up to the manufacturer's discretion/marketing strategy). Gas cutting will occur on both of these at certain pressure levels. Obviously the softer the lead, the lower the pressure needs to be to avoid gas-cutting. Copper gas checks mitigate this problem by sealing the base of the projectile, so you can push lead faster (without gas cutting occurring). Lubing will also help mitigate gas-cutting.

Then comes fouling; all lead will foul badly if you push it too hard. Again, the harder the lead, the faster it can be pushed before leading occurs. This is where coating and lubing also come into play - both help prevent leading. Coating is predominately for leading preventing, whereas lubing is both leading prevention and a sealant.

This is an extremely complex subject - but also a very interesting one :D

Gas checking the bullet also helps minimise the leading as it scrapes the bore.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Chickenhawk » 02 Dec 2016, 9:48 am

in2anity wrote:Raw lead has a brinnell hardness of ~8 bh.

Aaaah, the old Brinnell hardness, something we're all familiar with :lol:
Chickenhawk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by in2anity » 02 Dec 2016, 9:57 am

Chickenhawk wrote:
in2anity wrote:Raw lead has a brinnell hardness of ~8 bh.

Aaaah, the old Brinnell hardness, something we're all familiar with :lol:

Wow did i make some mistakes when I first started shooting lead. My initial reasons for shooting lead were simply to cut costs, but now the subject absolutely fascinates me - I love shooting lead. Shooting and reloading lead has taught me so much more than I would never have normally been exposed to. :drinks:
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Joom » 06 Dec 2016, 10:45 am

Mods said they might do a dedicated black powder and casting forum soon :thumbsup:
Remington 700 and... Who needs another rifle?
Joom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Return to Reloading ammunition