Cases sticking in press 3/4 into the press?

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Cases sticking in press 3/4 into the press?

Post by ployer » 18 Oct 2016, 9:38 am

I've reloaded a bit on mates gear, starting to do my own now though. Didn't seem to have the problem there.

When putting cases through the sizing die I find some go through easy enough but some get stuck about half way into the press.

I can push it through or pull it out but some of them take serious effort to get done.

It's all same brand brass, fired similar times.

I'm doing the same each time as best I can tell so wondering why some get SO stuck and what to do to improve it.
ployer
Private
Private

Victoria

Re: Cases sticking in press 3/4 into the press?

Post by bladeracer » 18 Oct 2016, 9:48 am

What caliber?

New or old die?

Tried a different lube?

Tried cleaning the die?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 18 Oct 2016, 10:43 am

How are you lubing them? are you lubing inside the necks? that helps if you aren't.

I've actually switched over to One Shot or Inox or Silicon spray (I put my cases in a zip lock bag and spray em in that and get a heap out and spray the mouths of the cases and generally that seems to have fixed the problem, I don't spray the mouths on all of em but as soon as a feel the issue starting again I grab a heap more a spray em - seems to work well for me doing it this way. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by juststarting » 18 Oct 2016, 11:38 am

ployer, I would bet that this is the same issue I had when I started...

Buy $5 dry graphite lubricant from Bunnings or even a supermarket and dip case necks into it. Like Scott pointed out above, lubricate inside of the neck. I bet this is the root cause.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 18 Oct 2016, 11:39 am

Or switch to collet dies, no lube required at all.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 18 Oct 2016, 11:42 am

No, colette die does neck only. He said he is doing full length.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 18 Oct 2016, 11:54 am

juststarting wrote:No, colette die does neck only. He said he is doing full length.

Yes, I should've been more specific, switch to collet dies and neck size only...no lube and great case life :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 18 Oct 2016, 11:58 am

True, true. I use Colette almost exclusively. Still though, need to know how to FL size.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by sandgroperbill » 18 Oct 2016, 12:04 pm

But he mentioned he was using a friend's gear, which may imply same cal and possibly sharing ammo. If the ammo may be used in more than one rifle, then fl sizing is preferable.
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by ployer » 02 Nov 2016, 9:52 am

Hi guy, to answer all the above

.308 Winchester.

Dies bought new 6 months ago?

Using the RCBS lube, no others tried.

Lubing the outside of necks with fingers and the inside with a plastic bottle brush type thing.

Die is a full length die. Didn't have a neck only to test at this point.

Yes to using a friends gear, his is reloading .308 Win and .300 Win Mag on it.

ployer
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Mango bill » 02 Nov 2016, 11:37 am

I had similar problem with a set of Hornady .308 dies a few years back and the only way to overcome it was the gun shop I brought them from had to polish a poofteenth out of them because they were a bit on the tight side.
Mango bill
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 02 Nov 2016, 1:25 pm

Are lubing ALL of the outside of the case, you only mention the neck sbove? When FLS die is used you need to lube inside and outside of the neck and tbe full body of the case.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by tex1972 » 30 Dec 2016, 10:29 am

I had the same problems with RCBS lube, binned it and changed to Wurth silicone spray.
tex1972
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Noisydad » 30 Dec 2016, 11:53 am

Try STP engine oil treatment on a lube pad. Works great and one bottle lasts a lifetime. Don't try to push tight cases in to the die in one go work it in, draw it out, work it in a bit deeper until done.
Edit: Just occurred to me that some Barry White music may help this process. :lol:
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by superdave » 30 Dec 2016, 12:32 pm

Are you by any chance using military once fired brass? some of that stuff gets battered about on its way out of rifles and machineguns, and is hard to get back in spec.
superdave
Recruit
Recruit

New Zealand

Post by Wm.Traynor » 30 Dec 2016, 1:13 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Are lubing ALL of the outside of the case, you only mention the neck sbove? When FLS die is used you need to lube inside and outside of the neck and tbe full body of the case.

ditto
Not sure if you are using cases from different rifles
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Bills Shed » 30 Dec 2016, 3:50 pm

From the reading, the OP is only lining the out side of the neck. If he is FLS he needs to lube the whole of the out side of the case.
Bill
Swaging your own projectiles is the ultimate in flexibility.
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by reloader762 » 30 Dec 2016, 10:05 pm

I agree with all the above post,if you FL resize you have to lube the entire case as the entire case expands in the rifles chamber. If you just want to neck size only using FL resizing dies and the cartridge was fired and is only going to be used in your rifle,you just lube the neck and shoulder area only and adjust the die body up in the press so it only sizes the neck an bumps the shoulder slightly. You can do this by drawing a line down the side of the case neck and shoulder with a black marker and watch the progression of the sizing of the case as you adjust the die body down and removes the mark you placed on the case. If cartridges are going to be fired in different rifles or different action types than FL resizing is the way to go.

Be careful not to get to excessive with the lube as it can cause pressure dents on the shoulder area of the case,also make sure if you using new dies to give them a good cleaning before first use to remove an polishing or grinding compounds left behind by the mfg. process. On most die sets there is also a small hole on the side of the sizing die that allow air to vent as the case is resized,make sure that hole is clear and clean. Often time it will be clogged with polishing compound from the mfg. process or lube from repeated sizing,a small paper clip or a blast of compressed air can be used to keep it cleared out.

RCBS case lube is a good lube.personally I like Imperial Sizing Wax or in a pinch you can use KIWI Mink Oil paste in the same way,a little goes a long way an a tin will last a long time. I can get a tin of the KIWI for about $5 here in the states.
https://discord.gg/Nafuzht
reloader762
Recruit
Recruit

United States of America

Post by happyhunter » 31 Dec 2016, 5:57 am

I've only ever FL resize and only lube the outside of the case below the shoulder and a tiny amount of lube inside the case neck, as per the instructions that come with the LEE kits. Never had problems with a stuck case.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by sandgroperbill » 31 Dec 2016, 10:48 am

Same here. Only trouble I've ever had with fl sizing has been with PPU brass, so I don't use it any more. Apart from that, little lube on a coton wool bud for the inside of the neck, then the whole outside and all good. Lately I've been using graphite powder. Bit dirty but easy and works a treat
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Return to Reloading ammunition