222 REM MAGNUM BRASS?

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

222 REM MAGNUM BRASS?

Post by Cooper » 23 Oct 2016, 8:40 pm

222 magnum brass seems to near impossible to find. I have read that can be made out of 204 Ruger brass. Some say it is easy and others say it is not that easy. Hoping someone has tried it or can tell me where to find some 222 magnum brass? Thanks
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Re: 222 REM MAGNUM BRASS?

Post by MalleeFarmer » 24 Oct 2016, 7:28 am

G'day the .204 is a Necked down .222rm and so would be simple to resize from one to the other in theory. Though I have never done it and only use a .204
"Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals and happiness." Thomas Jefferson
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 24 Oct 2016, 7:28 am

The 222 Rem Mag is the parent case used to make the .204 Ruger and both have a case length of 1.850". While you can neck down a larger calibre to a smaller one, I'm not sure you can go from smaller to larger without the risk of splitting the necks. The .204 is prone to neck splits with Hornady factory ammo so maybe avoid their brass. Sorry I couldn't be of more help but maybe others can jump in on the practicalities of necking up brass. Possibly Bruce at Bertrum Brass may be able to point you in the right direction to locate it, if they don't already make it themselves (03) 5792-292.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by MalleeFarmer » 24 Oct 2016, 7:31 am

Also as Brett suggested with neck splits you may need to anneal the necks to get a safe up size.

Alternatively Rebel Gun Works carry .222rm brass
https://www.rebelgunworks.net/collectio ... 22-rem-mag
"Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals and happiness." Thomas Jefferson
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Cooper » 24 Oct 2016, 8:20 am

I'll give rebel a try. Fingers crossed they actually have it in stock. Otherwise I'll try Bertrum Brass.
I think the shoulder is (very) slightly different on 204 brass. Some say they have just run it through a 222 MAG full length die and it has worked. Others say it is not that simple. Hopefully I can source the correct brass. Thanks
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by happyhunter » 24 Oct 2016, 8:27 am

Cooper wrote:I'll give rebel a try. Fingers crossed they actually have it in stock. Otherwise I'll try Bertrum Brass.
I think the shoulder is (very) slightly different on 204 brass. Some say they have just run it through a 222 MAG full length die and it has worked. Others say it is not that simple. Hopefully I can source the correct brass. Thanks

Yeah, you are right about the shoulder. It's kicked out a little on the 204 to increase powder capacity.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by MalleeFarmer » 24 Oct 2016, 8:51 am

I was not aware of the shoulder difference. Interesting.
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by happyhunter » 24 Oct 2016, 9:28 am

happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by MalleeFarmer » 24 Oct 2016, 11:19 am

Well after some research the .222RM is quite a bit different to the .204 I have attached a Photo of the .222rm-.222rmAI and the .22-204 (apologies it's not the .204) which is exactly the same as a .204 with a .22 Neck. The .204 shoulder is pushed further forward than even the RemMagAI and is I believe blown out when compared to the .222rm looks like buying new brass would be your best bet.
Attachments
IMG_4363.JPG
.222RM--//--.222RMAI--//--.22-204
IMG_4363.JPG (53.45 KiB) Viewed 5682 times
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 24 Oct 2016, 2:36 pm

MalleeFarmer wrote:Well after some research the .222RM is quite a bit different to the .204 I have attached a Photo of the .222rm-.222rmAI and the .22-204 (apologies it's not the .204) which is exactly the same as a .204 with a .22 Neck. The .204 shoulder is pushed further forward than even the RemMagAI and is I believe blown out when compared to the .222rm looks like buying new brass would be your best bet.

When you push it through the sizing die it should bump the shoulder back.
I would buy or borrow some .204 brass, full-length size in your .222RM die, seat some cheap bullets and fire-form them.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Lorgar » 24 Oct 2016, 3:48 pm

brett1868 wrote:While you can neck down a larger calibre to a smaller one, I'm not sure you can go from smaller to larger without the risk of splitting the necks.

Mucking around a while ago I necked up some .243 brass to .308. Only did a few, no annealing, they didn't split but a portion of the neck was very obviously thinner than the rest of it.

You could feel when raising the ram the neck just didn't want to expand, and when it finally did it even felt more like a section of the neck finally failing and letting go rather than an even expansion (as confirmed by looking at them after).

Annealing may improve but I haven't tried.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by happyhunter » 24 Oct 2016, 5:31 pm

You get 6x47 cases buy necking up 222 Rem mag cases. Those are the guys that have been buying up the brass in bulk. Sako and Norma make brass for the 222 Rem Mag so at worst it has to be ordered, but I'm sure somebody would have it. The hassle of sizing up, having to turn then anneal the necks sounds like too much effort when you can just order the brass.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Oldbloke » 24 Oct 2016, 6:54 pm

Must be gold plated. Another good reason to stick with the common/popular calibres.

Just my 2 bobs worth.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 24 Oct 2016, 7:07 pm

resize run-of-the-mill 223Rem, will be a couple of mm short in the neck....so what
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Cooper » 24 Oct 2016, 8:14 pm

I've order some 222 MAG @ $126 for 100. I won't see it December. Hopefully I get it! I reckon I'll have a go at making some out of 204 brass.
223 brass seems a bit short. Maybe a 222 MAG AI would be the go. Using the 204 brass as you wouldn't need to push the shoulder back as far.
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Supaduke » 25 Oct 2016, 9:15 am

Oldbloke wrote:

Must be gold plated. Another good reason to stick with the common/popular calibres.

Just my 2 bobs worth.

I have to agree. I understand people like having exotic chamberings but I like my components to be cheap and easy to find.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Gamerancher » 25 Oct 2016, 1:18 pm

Never had a problem necking brass up. Actually most of my "odd" chamberings use necked up brass. .300 Whisper- necked up .221 Fireball, .40-70 Straight Sharps- stretched and necked up .30-40 Krag. 7mm TCU- necked up .223Rem. I could go on but I think you get it.
I've had more problems with necking down - too much brass = thick neck = neck turning required - yuck!
Good quality brass to start and anneal if going up a lot. Then size up in stages, one calibre at a time.
I've even necked old .257 Roberts brass,( that had at least 10 firings ), up to a 6.5/257 Ackley. That brass went on to fire another dozen or so times in my Silhouette rifle before being put away when I rebarreled that rifle to 7-08.

On the other hand, try to push a shoulder back, especially a sharp one, usually results in crushed cases.

$1.26 per case for correct brass? What's the problem?
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 25 Oct 2016, 2:35 pm

Supaduke wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:

Just my 2 bobs worth.

I have to agree. I understand people like having exotic chamberings but I like my components to be cheap and easy to find.

Yep. And there is always a common round that will do the job. Having said that if grand pa left you an odd calibre rifle wouldn't you want to use it?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by happyhunter » 25 Oct 2016, 2:46 pm

The 222 Remington Magnum is quite an interesting cartridge. You see some nice second hand Sako rifles chambered in it for sale from time. I'd own one for sure.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Cooper » 25 Oct 2016, 2:52 pm

I haven't got the brass yet. But I don't really have problem paying for the brass. It is for a Sako .222 Mag that was bought brand new in the early 70s and only even had one owner. Cancell out the cost of the brass add a bit of extra powder compare to .223 and price of shooting a nice old gun like that is priceless!
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Gamerancher » 25 Oct 2016, 10:29 pm

"old gun" , 1970's?
If it 'aint over a hundred years old, it's modern. :sarcasm:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by deye243 » 25 Oct 2016, 10:49 pm

brett1868 wrote:The 222 Rem Mag is the parent case used to make the .204 Ruger and both have a case length of 1.850". While you can neck down a larger calibre to a smaller one, I'm not sure you can go from smaller to larger without the risk of splitting the necks. The .204 is prone to neck splits with Hornady factory ammo so maybe avoid their brass. Sorry I couldn't be of more help but maybe others can jump in on the practicalities of necking up brass. Possibly Bruce at Bertrum Brass may be able to point you in the right direction to locate it, if they don't already make it themselves (03) 5792-292.

wrong i ran a 6x45 for 15 years and never had a problem have mate that had 25 223 they never had a problem either you just have use your head
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Cooper » 24 Jan 2017, 6:15 pm

Finally received my 222 mag brass today. Now to work up some loads!
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Return to Reloading ammunition