scales review - have anyone used this?

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

scales review - have anyone used this?

Post by juststarting » 27 Oct 2016, 12:32 pm

---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Re: scales review - have anyone used this?

Post by pomemax » 27 Oct 2016, 12:35 pm

did it say preheat before use ?? bet is should read warm up before use
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by MalleeFarmer » 27 Oct 2016, 12:37 pm

Looks good does it measure in grains? It says other units but it may just be milligrams/grams/oz etc. otherwise no reason it wouldn't be ok for measuring powder.. and Projectiles and cases if you're weight sorting them. Still imo I think specific powder/loading scales would be better but that could purely be because they say that on the box.. may not be any better than the ones you sent the link for.
"Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals and happiness." Thomas Jefferson
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 27 Oct 2016, 12:58 pm

I guess it's cheap enough to be worth trying.
I use the Gempro250 for accuracy to 0.01gn, but I also know that such accuracy has no practical value in reloading. 0.1gn is adequate but it leaves me wondering if I'm under or over by that 0.05gn that is being rounded off :-)
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 27 Oct 2016, 12:59 pm

Working in grains or grams and milligrams is 6 of one and half a dozen of the other... You just convert the load and pin it on the wall in front of you, in grams and mg, just like you would in grains. Grams and milligrams are actually more granular. For example, 1 grain is 0.0647989 grams. It could also be 0.07gm, 0.08gm, 0.05gm or 0.04gm - depends on the error margin and graduation of your scale. And if you want to get into that, then - there is no such things as "powder specific" scales. They are either jewellery scales or lab scales. Error margin on this scale is 1mg while the $300+ RCBS are 6mg. Which is around 0.09 grains or 4.5 granules of stick powder like AR2208 (yes, I need a life!).

Aaaaanyway, I actually have RCBS digital scales now, but was looking at scales for a friend as a present and discussing it with another friend who is a biomed researcher and this came into field of view. But I think the quality, speed and its ability to hold zero may be questionable. Hence I asked about this specific scales, which seem to be a lot cheaper and more accurate than 'powder specific' scales.

Also, I have this scales:
[url]http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/30g-0-001g-Reloading-Powder-Grain-Milligram-Jewelry-Lab-Weight-Balance-Scale-/221967640686?hash=item33ae4d686e:g:PkAAAOSwLqFV9kFz
[/url]
Accuracy wise, I have not seen anything better. Speed and holding zero, as well as tiny little measuring plate that's no good for powder receptacle of any sort is another question. On the other hand I have something that looks very similar, but by Hornady I bought for like $30 from Militaria Expo and they are just s**t in every way. Just goes to show you never know.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 27 Oct 2016, 1:02 pm

bladeracer, I wrote above just before you posted I guess, but yes, pretty much. There's no substitute for good balance beam scales to verify, I think, but I feel like I am going brain dead when I am loading 50 cartridges in say 0.5 grain increments. 100 - and I will be there all night.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Return to Reloading ammunition