Brass Cleaning - No Tumbler

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Brass Cleaning - No Tumbler

Post by Wylie27 » 30 Oct 2016, 7:01 am

HI all,

i have about a 1000 pieces of 9mm brass which is in desperate need of cleaning, its a combination of once fired, twice fired and range brass. Given how 2016 has gone for me i havent had the funds for a tumbler, even a cheap one.

So yesterday i decided I was going to clean this brass somehow and this is the method i settled on.

An old Tupperware container that wont be used for food again, white vinegar, water and dishwashing liquid.

I made a solution using
1/4 cup of white vinegar
3/4 cup of hot water
generous squirt of dishwashing liquid
pour over the brass in the container and seal up.

I shook it for about a minute and then let the container sit in the sun. i then shook it for about 30 seconds and let it sit again.. repeated this for a couple of more times. Once i am done, i strain out the mixture and then run the brass under cold water for a few minutes to remove all residue.

It was a beautiful day yesterday so i laid out a towel on my deck and spread out the brass to dry.

Before
IMG_3965.JPG
IMG_3965.JPG (122.02 KiB) Viewed 9930 times

After
IMG_3966.JPG
IMG_3966.JPG (116.16 KiB) Viewed 9930 times

Ok so its not a tumbled, shiny new brass look but i think they will do for reloading and i can see if there is any issues with the cases. I tossed two that were cracked.
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Re: Brass Cleaning - No Tumbler

Post by happyhunter » 30 Oct 2016, 7:25 am

I use white vinegar at 50/50 with cold water in the ultrasonic cleaner. It's quite acid but if the brass is only exposed a for a couple minutes.

Keep in mind that there is a reaction between brass and the solution as the acid removes some zinc from the brass (copper/zinc alloy) and hot water accelerates this process. DON'T use hot water. Once you remove the brass, wash it in a very dilute solution of water and baking soda (and I mean really, really dilute mixture) to neutralize the acid and then rinse in clean cold water.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Wylie27 » 30 Oct 2016, 8:45 am

Thanks for the tip about the bakingsoda .

I started this morning and used cold water, will see how that goes..
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Wylie27 » 30 Oct 2016, 8:46 am

How well does the ultra somic cleaner work?
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by ItsMe » 30 Oct 2016, 9:29 am

Know anyone who could clean your brass for you?
ItsMe
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by happyhunter » 30 Oct 2016, 9:32 am

I got it from Aldi for 25 bucks. Works really well for small batches. I use a beaker and fill it with the home brew solution so there is
just enough to cover the cases. Cases are placed in the beaker primer pocket side down, 20 at a time. Half fill the U/S cleaners chamber and place the beaker in it, run it 4 minutes. The cases come out spotless, inside and out.

Then I run the same batch of 20 through the cleaner again with the water/baking soda solution for 60 seconds to neutralize any acid then rinse them off with tap water. In about an hour I will have 100 clean cases and put then out to dry then load them the next day.

Works good for low volume reloading and I only hunt so suits me. For pistol shooters you might be better off with a much larger ultrasonic cleaner.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Oldbloke » 30 Oct 2016, 12:12 pm

I use a recipe almost the same, but yours seems a little better. Will amend mine. Great for small batches.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Wylie27 » 30 Oct 2016, 12:51 pm

Happy hunter thanks for that.. there's a couple on EBay that seem to be for larger quantities.

If my tax return ever arrives I will look at one.

OldBloke glad I could help, it's just what I had on hand.. the vinegar/water mix is what the wife uses to clean her kitchens at work. Figured if it Could clean a commercial kitchen then why not brass and then I thought I like bubbles it tells me it's cleaning.. so I added dishwashing liquid.
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by happyhunter » 30 Oct 2016, 2:24 pm

Wylie27 wrote:Happy hunter thanks for that.. there's a couple on EBay that seem to be for larger quantities.

If my tax return ever arrives I will look at one.

OldBloke glad I could help, it's just what I had on hand.. the vinegar/water mix is what the wife uses to clean her kitchens at work. Figured if it Could clean a commercial kitchen then why not brass and then I thought I like bubbles it tells me it's cleaning.. so I added dishwashing liquid.

This was where I originally got the using vinegar idea from.
http://www.6mmbr.com/ultrasonic.html
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by on_one_wheel » 30 Oct 2016, 3:37 pm

Before I bought a big laboratory sized US cleaner I basicly used the same method.

White vinegar and water 50:50 soaked for an hour or two and occasionally agitated followed by a hot soapy water rinse.
That worked ok, just a bit of messing around.

Now I just stand about 50 cases up in the US. cleaner with de-gassed, distilled water and a drop or two of dish washing liquid and buzz them until they are done.
Normally a couple of hours has them clean enough for me.

Ps. I never dry them in the oven, that's for impatient people. Instead I blow them mostly dry with compressed air and leave them to dry overnight.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by darwindingo » 30 Oct 2016, 7:40 pm

For you guys that are interested in ultrasonic cleaning, you should do a search on the various circuits for making your own.. J Car has an anti fowling kit for boats that may be suitable ? (for those that would rather not etch their own circuits)..

The use of ultrasonic cleaning extends way beyond brass btw.. Injectors, Jewellery.. etc... Here is another one....
http://kleentek.net.au/shop/ultrasonic- ... vQod1_wFMA

Just think you could potentially make a serious scale one yourself with a little research, to suit whatever scale your needs are ?..

Just thinking out loud..

Could at least be something worth looking into perhaps ?..

:drinks:
“Accidental Discharges” DO NOT OCCUR !!

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

I love my country, but fear my government.
darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by on_one_wheel » 30 Oct 2016, 7:47 pm

darwindingo wrote:For you guys that are interested in ultrasonic cleaning, you should do a search on the various circuits for making your own.. J Car has an anti fowling kit for boats that may be suitable ? (for those that would rather not etch their own circuits)..

The use of ultrasonic cleaning extends way beyond brass btw.. Injectors, Jewellery.. etc... Here is another one....
http://kleentek.net.au/shop/ultrasonic- ... vQod1_wFMA

Just think you could potentially make a serious scale one yourself with a little research, to suit whatever scale your needs are ?..

Just thinking out loud..

Could at least be something worth looking into perhaps ?..

:drinks:

I might make a massive one and attach it to the 4wd. It'll be good for buzzing the mud off the paintwork, cleaning the injectors, engine block, fuel tanks, fuel lines and windows all at the same time.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by darwindingo » 30 Oct 2016, 7:50 pm

Post some pics if you do :lol:
“Accidental Discharges” DO NOT OCCUR !!

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

I love my country, but fear my government.
darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by JimTom » 22 Jan 2018, 3:41 pm

And here I was researching whether tumbler or ultrasonic was the best method, and you crafty buggars are doing it on the cheap.
Reckon I’ll give the water, vinegar etc solution a crack.
Another piece of great info I’ve got off this forum.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 22 Jan 2018, 5:03 pm

I been doing it for about five years. Does the job. Not bling, but fine for most.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 22 Jan 2018, 5:58 pm

Yeah oldbloke like you I don’t need them to be super shiny. Just clean enough to reload is fine.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Sarco » 22 Jan 2018, 7:04 pm

Supercheap do a 2.5lt US cleaner for about $110. This allows quite large batches to be done.

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/Produc ... -5L/378300

I used one of these which I moved on when I moved to a stainless steel pin wet tumbler (Lortone QT66)
Sarco
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 22 Jan 2018, 7:13 pm

Even in the wet tumbler I use a similar solution mostly water about 1/4 cup Vinegar a good squirt of the cheapest detergent and a small squeeze of lemon juice. I run them for probably longer than needed but I dont think it is doing them any harm. Then they go straight to the sink and have clean water run into the tumbler and the pins / brass run through my hands until the water runs cleans. I then give them the upside down removal shake and tap a put into and ice cream container of clean water. Then I take them from there at the base give them a good flick just to make sure no pins are inside place them on a towel give them a quick rub down place them in case holder and leave to dry a week or so.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by in2anity » 22 Jan 2018, 9:14 pm

OP has specified the old NRA solution (minus the salt) I’ve been cleaning my brass using ONLY this method for many many years; works a treat. We used to clean fullbore brass using this method when I was a wee lad. Shoulders and necks split the same regardless of cleaning method. I really don’t see the need for a tumbler except to make your brass pretty and “tacticool”.
Last edited by in2anity on 22 Jan 2018, 9:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Roo farmer » 22 Jan 2018, 9:15 pm

Apart from looking nice, does shiny brass serve the purpose any better than dull brass?
Roo farmer
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 22 Jan 2018, 9:49 pm

Roo farmer wrote:Apart from looking nice, does shiny brass serve the purpose any better than dull brass?

NO NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO

Pop Corn.jpg
Pop Corn.jpg (58.56 KiB) Viewed 8345 times
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 22 Jan 2018, 10:01 pm

Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 22 Jan 2018, 10:43 pm

Roo farmer wrote:Apart from looking nice, does shiny brass serve the purpose any better than dull brass?

Yes...it helps to fulfill some necessary requirements of OCD...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by sungazer » 23 Jan 2018, 10:46 am

The answer is I don't really know. But does a bit of carbon change the neck tension from case to case. Dirty primer pockets does the primer get seated firmly? Is there a bit of carbon over the flash hole? If you were certain of all those things then I would say don't clean. If not clean and make them all the same.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by wanneroo » 23 Jan 2018, 12:50 pm

I see wet tumbled shiny brass as one of the ways to get back to a baseline for the case. Getting rid of excess powder and primer residue or as I sometimes deal with military surplus brass, excess primer or neck sealant is one benefit. The other is that with shiny cases I have been able to more readily identify issues such as potential case separation, split necks, excess gouges in brass, etc
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by JimTom » 23 Jan 2018, 1:55 pm

Tried the 1/4 vinegar 3/4 water solution today to clean some brass. Also used the diluted bicarbonate soda pre rinse as suggested by Happyhunter. Left it in for an hour agitating it every so often and what do you know, it worked a treat, although I must say that the insides weren't anywhere near as clean as the 9mm brass in the photo on the original post.
Still needed to give the primer pockets a bit of a clean too, nevertheless, I think it's a good method if you don't have an US cleaner or case tumbler.
Just by two bobs worth.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Wylie27 » 23 Jan 2018, 4:07 pm

Hey scooter,

To get it that clean you need to let it sit for longer than an hour. I think from memory it was 3 or 4 hours.

I have since bought a cheap ebay wet tumbler 3kg one for $89 and it works well
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by sungazer » 23 Jan 2018, 4:10 pm

Go the 5kg one Ive had the 3 it was a pain opening not really big enough for your hand. I had my 4 year old willing to help. also 50 308 was a push. The 5kg not much more expensive a real step up. Probably same motor dont know yet. but better.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by JimTom » 23 Jan 2018, 4:12 pm

Thanks Wylie27. So I take it there were no problems leaving brass soak that long in the solution? Appreciate the input, also is the wet tumbler a better option than the other methods in your opinion mate?
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Wylie27 » 23 Jan 2018, 4:44 pm

Scooter i didnt have any issues. After soaking i dunked the brass in a bicarb / water solution for a bit and then air dried. With the wet tumbler it does a better job in half the time. I can clean a thousand 9mm in a few hours. But the manual method worked great too. Just took longer.

Sungazer the 3kg is fine for me, i can clean about 150 odd 9mm brass at a time. Let it run for 1 hour or so.
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Next

Return to Reloading ammunition