Cast 45/70 project

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Cast 45/70 project

Post by Mango bill » 02 Nov 2016, 8:47 am

I started reloading in 1980 when I couldn't get my new 44/40 to hit an oil drum at 50 yards and have for the last twenty years only shot cast lead except in my .308 7600 Remington.
I brought a Winchester model 1886 in 45/70 some time back and made a project out of turning this big pumpkin launcher into an accurate rifle with cast lead. First I found that the old black powder chambers don't have a throat so I had to find a mould that would fit the chamber, rather than having the chamber reamed I found a mould from CBE in Brisbane and begun casting straight wheel weights with a little bit of tin added and drop them into a bucket of water straight from the hot mould. I get around 1600fps from the big slugs and the accuracy is superb at 100 mtrs and no leading in the bore.
The tree I hang the target on on our property is a big old dead hard wood and I noticed that there was dust raising off the ground some ways back behind the tree and when I investigated I found that the cast bullets had been completely punching through the 23" tree at 100 meters, I couldn't believe my eyes!
I dropped a big old boar last week with it to complete the project and now the 86 has been promoted to my main hunting rifle and the recoil with the cast bullets is a lot more pleasant to shoot than the hot factory loads. Next step is to try it on scrub bulls.
Mango bill
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Cast 45/70 project

Post by Wm.Traynor » 02 Nov 2016, 1:15 pm

Good Luck to you Mb :D Your happiness is catching even if I don't own one.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 02 Nov 2016, 1:28 pm

Bragard, next it will be a 33" tree. :drinks:
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Mango bill » 02 Nov 2016, 2:38 pm

This photo was taken prior to fitting the receiver sight.
It's a big gun to hump around all day so I'm going to have to fit a sling when I can bring myself to drilling a hole in that beautiful stock.
Attachments
P1020883.JPG
P1020883.JPG (126.58 KiB) Viewed 1762 times
Mango bill
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 02 Nov 2016, 5:40 pm

Nice !
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by vmaxaust » 03 Nov 2016, 4:58 am

[quote="Mango bill"]I started reloading in 1980 when I couldn't get my new 44/40 to hit an oil drum at 50 yards and have for the last twenty years only shot cast lead except in my .308 7600 Remington.
I brought a Winchester model 1886 in 45/70 some time back and made a project out of turning this big pumpkin launcher into an accurate rifle with cast lead.

Do you size and lube the cast bullets. Which lube do you use?

Sam
vmaxaust
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Mango bill » 03 Nov 2016, 7:11 am

Hi Sam
I could only find .457 sizing dies but I needed .458 after slugging the barrel so I took the .457 die and used a piece of dowel with fine emery paper and oil wrapped around it and took the other thou out by running it up and down my leg for a while until I removed the other thou and wound up with the .458 die I needed.
I got leading in the bore with the .457 die, you wouldn't think a thou could make that much difference? Incidentally I use bronze wool to remove the leading.

The lube I use is cold water surf board wax ( because it's a bit harder ) and lanolin oil mixed. I pour it into a soft rubber baking tray over the bullets standing on end and push them through the wax when it's gone hard after a few minutes.
It's what I like about casting, anyone can reload or assemble a bullet but it's something different to make tailored one from scratch.
Mango bill
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Return to Reloading ammunition