Redding 460XVR FLRS Die Issue

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Redding 460XVR FLRS Die Issue

Post by brett1868 » 03 Nov 2016, 8:12 pm

I purchased a Redding Titanium 460 S&W Mag die set from Sinclair International in March this year and only recently used it to reload some cartridges. I noticed when full length resizing that there’s a distinct bulge in the base of the case approximately 0.190” from the base. I use a Dillon XL650 and managed to resize just over 200 cases before noticing the problem. I bought a Lee die se today (Thanks Zhen) and using 2 brand new Hornady cases I put 1 through each die taking measurements before and after. Measurements are listed below and both cases started with identical measurements. Attached picture shows the case resized on the Lee die on the left and the Redding die to the right, notice the distinct rim.

Lee
Mouth of die 0.470”
Case Neck O.D 0.4735”
Case approx. 0.230” from base 0.475”
Case Length 1.7895”

Redding Die – P/N 87191
Mouth of die 0.467:
Case Neck O.D 0.470”
Case approx. 0.230” from base 0.471”
Case Length 1.7995”

I suspect something isn’t right with the Redding die set and returning it to the U.S is a pain in the ass but i'll see what answers come back to the email I sent Redding. The cases still chamber but a 200gr projectile with 45.5gr of AR2205 up its backside I don't want to chance a separation,“especially” in a revolver.

IMG_2750.JPG
IMG_2750.JPG (131.11 KiB) Viewed 2527 times
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Re: Redding 460XVR FLRS Die Issue

Post by Oldbloke » 03 Nov 2016, 9:34 pm

Have you got a clearer pic?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 03 Nov 2016, 10:08 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Have you got a clearer pic?

That picture was the best of a bad bunch, difficult to capture the bulge on the right angle to make it standout. I think the die is a few thou tight and over squeezing the case which explains the bulge and growth in length. I've emailed Redding and I'm curious as to what they come back with, I've got a few of their die sets and they've always been good.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by darwindingo » 03 Nov 2016, 10:14 pm

That don't look good at all :wtf:

:drinks:
“Accidental Discharges” DO NOT OCCUR !!

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

I love my country, but fear my government.
darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Oldbloke » 04 Nov 2016, 3:21 pm

Yep, the numbers say it's a bit tight.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gamerancher » 04 Nov 2016, 4:35 pm

Is it "bulging" or is it taking the case walls down to a smaller diameter than the thicker web at the base. I have RCBS .44mag dies that do this. P.I.T.A and looks sus' but have reloaded the cases dozens of times with no worries. When I seat the bullet the round has an "hourglass" look.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Bark » 23 Nov 2016, 3:21 pm

Any update, Brett?

I have some similar, but less pronounced marks on my cases. Eager to know more..
Bark
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 23 Nov 2016, 4:07 pm

My Apologies, I meant to update this thread earlier.

Is it "bulging" or is it taking the case walls down to a smaller diameter than the thicker web at the base. I have RCBS .44mag dies that do this. P.I.T.A and looks sus' but have reloaded the cases dozens of times with no worries. When I seat the bullet the round has an "hourglass" look.

The second description by the look of it, case smaller then webbing + case length growing. After firing a few that were on the warm side, I'm concerned enough about the thickness that I'll write these cases off as "Educational" expenses. The Lee die works perfectly fine and cases look perfect after a FLRS so I'll put the Redding's back on the shelf or maybe I'll give the neck sizing only a try.

Below is the response from Redding,

Brett,
Sorry to hear the trouble you are having. Our single ring carbide sizing die has a ring diameter that is the appropriate size for reducing the case mouth. The diameter of this ring needs to be smaller in order to provide neck tension for the bullet after flaring and seating.
For this reason I would suggest backing the carbide die up in the press and sizing the portion of the case that holds the bullet.
Size approximately 10 cases (as above) and load them up and try them in all cylinders. This will ensure sizing say the top half of the case will not give you any trouble.
This is a common practice when using a single ring carbide sizing die.

Thank you for using Redding Reloading Equipment.

Have a nice day,
Scott Lawrence
Customer Service Supervisor
cssl@redding-reloading.com
www.redding-reloading.com
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by ebr love » 09 Dec 2016, 8:27 am

So is that their long winded way of saying it's effectively a neck-sizing die?
TIKKA T3 TAC .300 WIN MAG
HOW SPORTER 270 WIN
HOWA YOUTH .204 RUGER
MARLIN 1889 .38-40
ebr love
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 09 Dec 2016, 10:34 am

ebr love wrote:So is that their long winded way of saying it's effectively a neck-sizing die?

Seems so and I've asked them to send me a de-capping die since their sizer is only suitable for neck sizing. As expected, no reply as yet :(
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Return to Reloading ammunition