How to make tracer rounds (and the legalities of doing so)

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

How to make tracer rounds (and the legalities of doing so)

Post by Techc » 04 Nov 2016, 2:38 pm

I figure this is probably a non starter but if you don't ask, you don't know...

Assuming it's safe and legal to do so, I'd be interested in trying some tracer rounds as a bit of fun in longer range shooting.

Off the bat I believe proper tracer rounds are not allowed by most ranges? I don't know about laws for all the states but I suspect it's the same.

Can anyone tell me is there anything one can do with reloading a cartridge to simulate the effect and make some homemade tracer rounds?

I'm imagining something like a compound/colour of sorts added to the cartridge that leaves a trail as the bullet goes. I realise this wouldn't be the same as the long burning phosphorus type charge or whatever it is in the back of a proper round, but as long as you could see it in daylight that would do.

Just asking for curiosity and obviously only wanting to explore options, if any, that are safe and legal :thumbsup:

So, DIY tracer rounds possibilities?
.223 Remington Savage Model 12 FV
.308 Remington 700 SPS tactical
Leupold VX-3 6.5-20x40mm
Techc
Private
Private

South Australia

Re: How to make tracer rounds (and the legalities of doing s

Post by huccl » 04 Nov 2016, 2:51 pm

Factory tracer ammo would almost certainly fall under "incendiary" ammo which is no-go for us civies.

I suspect modifying a factory round to hold anything that resembles a tracer effect would bring it into that category and mean trouble with the fuzz.
Browning A-Bolt M-1000 Eclipse 308 Win
CZ 453 Varmint 22LR
huccl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 04 Nov 2016, 3:20 pm

Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 04 Nov 2016, 3:39 pm

Looks like the yanks can buy them.

.https://youtu.be/wht6OMKBdc4
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 04 Nov 2016, 3:58 pm

They used to be handy at starting fires (well out of a M60 anyway) :lol:

Personally I can't see why you'd want them anyway, they serve no real purpose for civilian use. :unknown:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by RoginaJack » 04 Nov 2016, 5:48 pm

yep, BIGFELLASCOTT, great fire starters and so was the 303 Bren. :mrgreen:

if you want to use tracers, join the Army Reserve, otherwise leave well alone or Mr. Policeman will get ya! :cry:
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by ob1 » 04 Nov 2016, 7:21 pm

Glow Ammo Cold Tracer stickers. Not real tracers, but no fire risk.
ob1
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by on_one_wheel » 05 Nov 2016, 9:18 am

Other than being highly illegal, tracers and the Australian bush are not a good combination.

Imagine seeing one zip across the country side and starting a bush fire about 10 km from where you let it rip ...
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 05 Nov 2016, 9:52 am

Lots of talk about being 'illegal'.... can someone bring up a reference to 'where' this ban is located... other than an import restriction (like the Adler is 'banned' so we're told)...

Until then....

Tracer rounds are legal.

(happy to modify that statement as required)
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by juststarting » 05 Nov 2016, 12:04 pm

Explosives act 1999 - Explosives Regulation 2003
Current as at 1 July 2016

Schedule 1 Prohibited explosives
section 15
Part 1 Prohibited explosives
1 Small arms ammunition with a bullet or projectile containing
an incendiary, tracer, explosive, lachrymatory or noxious
composition, other than small arms ammunition—
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 05 Nov 2016, 5:52 pm

As juststarting has posted, tracer is illegal in Victoria. You will note the particular Act from which he got the info is NOT the Firearms Act, which is where most people look, but the Explosives Act. I would encourage our interstate friends do do the same. As for Techc, I have made tracer in the past when it was not restricted, and it is very hard, very time consuming and very expensive ($8.00 a round in 1982), the chemicals need to be compressed at the same pressure as the cartridge you are using, ie: 9x19 pistol 30 000psi needs tracer material compressed into the base of the bullet at 30 000psi. and since 9/11 some ingredients may no longer available without a permit such as Hexachloroethane. As info for those who would like to know, for Red tracer - Strontium Nitrate, Green - Barium Nitrate, Orange - Barium Peroxide, each in their own particular ratio to the other chemicals, plus #350 mesh Magnesium, which also needs a Worksafe permit, forget making tracer, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 05 Nov 2016, 6:02 pm

But not modifying my statement just yet..... ;)

JS - you're in Vic.
No.1 - you're in Vic
As am I.

There is no such 'Explosives Act' in Vic... there is Cth law by the name that does not prohibit tracers...

Please find the relevant VICTORIAN law that says such tracers are illegal.... I'd be surprised if there wasn't such a law.. just havent seen it yet...

There is the DG(Vic) act & regs, as far as I'm aware - is not concerned with such frivolities :)

Until you fellas find something; I'll be googlising DIY tracers :thumbsup:
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Ed9362 » 06 Nov 2016, 5:09 pm

lol,

I could just see you in court standing up saying well people I don't know, on some internet forum couldn't find a law saying I couldn't.... so obviously it is legal.
I wonder if the judge and police would check this thread to see if its legal or not.
Ed9362
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Supaduke » 06 Nov 2016, 5:20 pm

The answer is easy. Do any gunshops sell it? No. Why not? it's certainly made in commercial quantities. I would certainly buy some, heaps of it.
They don't sell it because it's illegal.

Edit: I believe those with an ammunition collectors permit can hold tracer and AP ammo that is of historical significance but they certainly can not use it. Meaning it's needs to be surplus ammo.

For the average A/B/C/D license holder it's a no go. I can't think of any 'genuine reason' you would require Tracer, AP, incendiary or any combination of those.

Unless pigs start wearing vests.
Or vampire pigs start attacking and can only be killed with fire.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 06 Nov 2016, 7:21 pm

Why the hell would anyone want to risk firing tracer rounds. It's complete stupidity and irresponsible idea.
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 06 Nov 2016, 7:23 pm

So the way society works is that everything is illegal unless there's a law that say you can do something?? thats some effed up tyrannical existence...

if you however actually read my comment;
I'd be surprised if there wasn't such a law.. just havent seen it yet...

I repeat - show me where it states that tracer or incendiary ammunition is illegal.

"just 'cause" is not enough.
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Noisydad » 07 Nov 2016, 6:06 am

Just take up black powder shooting with any caliber bigger than .50. In the right light and breeze you can just watch the actual bullets flying. It's very, very cool!
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 07 Nov 2016, 7:28 am

on_one_wheel wrote:Why the hell would anyone want to risk firing tracer rounds. It's complete stupidity and irresponsible idea.

In a tinder dry bush.... yes
At the range...why the heck not
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Bourt » 07 Nov 2016, 9:06 am

on_one_wheel wrote:Why the hell would anyone want to risk firing tracer rounds. It's complete stupidity and irresponsible idea.

Pretty scathing statement mate, calm down.

What would be wrong with firing one at a range with a suitable back drop and surrounding ground... Nothing stupid or irresponsible about that.

To everyone getting worked up over this :roll:

OP was crystal clear he was interested in exploring the idea for fun, if it was safe and legal to do so.

Stop berating people over nothing.
Bourt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Ed9362 » 07 Nov 2016, 8:31 pm

for some reason my marlin 30/30 leaves a streak through the air which can be seen at night.

for years a mate told me he could see the bullet going through the air when I fired that rifle at night. I kept telling him it was impossible and he was imagining it.

the I let someone else shoot it a few times one night and bugger me dead I could see it also. im assuming it is powder burning outside the barrel some-how but you can see a streak all the way to the target. it is quite cool.
Ed9362
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by lole » 18 Nov 2016, 3:31 pm

On shots over a few hundred metres you can some interesting effects in the day too.

See this little dot plowing through the air with a wake all around it. Quite cool.
lole
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by on_one_wheel » 18 Nov 2016, 3:47 pm

Bourt wrote:

Pretty scathing statement mate, calm down.

What would be wrong with firing one at a range with a suitable back drop and surrounding ground... Nothing stupid or irresponsible about that.

To everyone getting worked up over this :roll:

OP was crystal clear he was interested in exploring the idea for fun, if it was safe and legal to do so.

Stop berating people over nothing.

Perhaps we should be encouraging dangerous behavior and irresponsible ideas here :unknown:

Safe and legal it's not.

It's now mid November and around the country we have some of the most fuel loaded country in years in most district's.

Youd have to be a blody idiot to consider it. It's most definitely the no.1 most stupid idea I've ever read on this forum.
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 18 Nov 2016, 6:02 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:Perhaps we should be encouraging dangerous behavior and irresponsible ideas here :unknown:

Safe and legal it's not.

It's now mid November and around the country we have some of the most fuel loaded country in years in most district's.

Youd have to be a blody idiot to consider it. It's most definitely the no.1 most stupid idea I've ever read on this forum.

Still yet to be proven...

Yes. in dry bush, or anywhere you cant control the result if there is any chance of fire... its wrong and ill-advised ...I don't think anyone is arguing with that.
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by brett1868 » 18 Nov 2016, 10:09 pm

Ed9362 wrote:for some reason my marlin 30/30 leaves a streak through the air which can be seen at night.

for years a mate told me he could see the bullet going through the air when I fired that rifle at night. I kept telling him it was impossible and he was imagining it.

the I let someone else shoot it a few times one night and bugger me dead I could see it also. im assuming it is powder burning outside the barrel some-how but you can see a streak all the way to the target. it is quite cool.

I assume if your shooting at night you're using a spotlight, the trace you see is the reflection of light from the base of the projectile. I was watching some 338 projectiles flash downrange at >2700fps on Tuesday night at St Marys and easier to see if behind the shooter.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by RoginaJack » 21 Nov 2016, 8:35 pm

Spotlighting with the mate on the 308 I could see the bullet base clearly travelling down the light path but lost it just before it slammed into the pigs...mesmerising!
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Bourt » 23 Nov 2016, 10:08 am

on_one_wheel wrote:Perhaps we should be encouraging dangerous behavior and irresponsible ideas here :unknown:

Safe and legal it's not.

Same over reaction as before...

No one has encouraged any dangerous or irresponsible behaviour. He's just exploring ideas.

OP clearly said in the opening post "Assuming it's safe and legal"

Explaining the illegality and safety concerns of it could easily have been without calling someones curiosity stupid and irresponsible.
Bourt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by yoda72 » 05 Jan 2017, 12:27 am

Just a quick note on tracers.

In the Army we use 4-bit in our machine guns with 1 tracer between every 4 rounds of ball ammunition.
The tracers will shoot higher every time due to the tracer rounds being of lower weight than their ball cousins.

The use of tracers at a range will not be harmful as long as they don't start a fire but will not give you an accurate indication of where your rifle is shooting.
Good fun but not to used in the bush
BRNO ZKW 465- 17 ACK Hornet 8x56mm Kahles
BRNO Mod 2E- Zeiss 3-9x42mm
Rem 700 17 Rem- 10x Burris
Rem 700 .223 VSSF- 3.5-10x40mm Leupold MK4
SMLE .303 Sporter- 4x40mm Tasco worldclass
SMLE 1942 "HB" fullwood W aperture sight
yoda72
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 05 Jan 2017, 4:14 am

Plus 1 for watching rounds at night behind the shooter.Years ago before I turned pro I watched 2 blokes shoot a roo in the chest.One had a .22wmr.and the other a .22 long rifle and you could clearly see the magnum going quicker and hitting harder.they were a little apart on the back of the ute and I could see the bullets merge
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by duncan61 » 05 Jan 2017, 4:22 am

A mate I used to shoot with claimed my bullets were bending away then straightening up again near the target.I am sure it would be our positions and the light beam reflecting
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Blackened » 06 Jan 2017, 9:47 am

He hadn't just watched "Wanted" had he? :sarcasm:
Blackened

New South Wales

Return to Reloading ammunition