Load data for 223

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Load data for 223

Post by Sydneywizard » 16 Nov 2016, 2:19 pm

I'm new to the game of reloading and currently looking at reloading with ADI's AR2206H, a Hornady 52 gn HPBT in 223 Rem. Is anyone able to please advise Start Loads and Maximum Loads for this bullet as I am unable to find the appropriate information in ADI's Handloaders Guide. The closest I can find information on containing AR2206H in the data sheet, is for a 50gn SPR SP and a 53gn SIE HP.

Being a noob, I'd love to learn how you work it out if you can't find the data for a specific bullet.

Any advice you can provide is greatly appreciated.
Sydneywizard
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Load data for 223

Post by bladeracer » 16 Nov 2016, 2:36 pm

Sydneywizard wrote:I'm new to the game of reloading and currently looking at reloading with ADI's AR2206H, a Hornady 52 gn HPBT in 223 Rem. Is anyone able to please advise Start Loads and Maximum Loads for this bullet as I am unable to find the appropriate information in ADI's Handloaders Guide. The closest I can find information on containing AR2206H in the data sheet, is for a 50gn SPR SP and a 53gn SIE HP.

Being a noob, I'd love to learn how you work it out if you can't find the data for a specific bullet.

Any advice you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Use the data for the next heaviest bullet of similar design.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Supaduke » 16 Nov 2016, 2:43 pm

Most loads will be 24gr - 26gr. Pretty hard to go wrong with 2206h. Even with a compressed load you are unlikely to generate dangerous pressures. That being said always start on the low side and work up. But yes a 53gr bullet is close enough to use that data as a start point. It's less than a 2% difference in weight. Safety margins will exceed that by quite a ways.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Sydneywizard » 17 Nov 2016, 5:14 am

Thanks gents. I'll have a crack at it tonight.

I notice ADI, in their review of their powders in the Handloaders' Guide, suggest Bench Mark 1 for 223 REM applications. Would I be better served by switching to BM 1 and what are the implications of a faster burning powder?
Sydneywizard
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Supaduke » 17 Nov 2016, 10:27 am

As a general rule, faster burning powders expel their energy faster. Mostly used in pistols and with lighter projectiles. Pistols because their relatively short barrels means there is not much time for the powder to burn before the projectile has left barrel. Any powder burnt after the projectile has left does nothing and is wasted energy.

Slower burning powders are used in rifles. The powder having more time to burn as the bullet travels up the barrel.

In a perfect world your powder will complete a full burn just as the bullet leaves the muzzle.

Lighter projectiles travel faster so generally benefit from faster powders

Heavy projectiles travel slower so generally benefit from slower powders.

It's a matter of finding the correct ratio when balancing barrel length and bullet weight. There are exceptions to every rule but that is the basic theory.

Too fast a powder and the full burn is completed before the bullet has left the muzzle. Friction then slows the bullet and you lose velocity. Worse case scenario the projectile can 'squib' and lodge in the barrel. Also too fast a powder in a long barrel can cause excessive pressure at the breech end as all the energy is released while the bullet has not travelled far down the barrel.

Too slow a powder and a full burn is not completed before the bullet has left so energy is wasted.

Generally powders are loaded in factory ammo a little on the slow side as a safety margin. Resulting in unburnt powder being expelled and/or muzzle flash.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by nightforcenxs » 17 Nov 2016, 2:07 pm

it says on ADI's website for .223 rem using a 53 gr projectile using ar2206H 25.0gr to 27.0 compressed but you cant go wrong with going 1 whole grain below minimum im using 55gr vmax with 26gr of ar2208 and im getting sub 1/2 inch groups
nightforcenxs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Apollo » 17 Nov 2016, 4:18 pm

The powder that works very well in a number of different .223R's with 52gr Bullets is Bench Mark 2.

It's in the middle of the burn range, gives the best burn rate for velocity achieved and accuracy.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by happyhunter » 17 Nov 2016, 4:32 pm

Sydneywizard wrote:Thanks gents. I'll have a crack at it tonight.

I notice ADI, in their review of their powders in the Handloaders' Guide, suggest Bench Mark 1 for 223 REM applications. Would I be better served by switching to BM 1 and what are the implications of a faster burning powder?

Implications are they reach peak pressure sooner at lower volumes so there is less margin for error. AR2206H is a better powder for beginners as it's almost impossible to over charge the case.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Sydneywizard » 21 Nov 2016, 7:31 pm

Wow guys, thanks for the great info. I feel like I should be paying for the lessons.

Speaking of which, anybody know of anyone running a reloading class or workshop in Sydney. There is a workshop out at Silverdale range next weekend but its a once-off and only a 4 hour practical demonstration. I'm looking for something a little more hands-on as I learn by doing, not watching. That's what Youtube is for.
Sydneywizard
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Bourt » 23 Nov 2016, 10:11 am

A case of beer has been know to work as payment for a reloading lesson or two if there is a forum member or range member nearby ;)
Bourt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 23 Nov 2016, 12:19 pm

I am using AR2208 223 23.5 g 55g Hornady abt 3000 fps
ALSO AR2208 3006 44.1 g 180g Hornady abt 2550 fps

This powder, as you can see, is a great all round propellant. Obviously some propellants will be better suited to specific calibres. But although you may need to compromise a little in performance using one powder will be less waste full if you reload for more than one firearm. Accuracy for both is about 0.8 moa.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 23 Nov 2016, 12:27 pm

Alliant BM8208 has provided the most consistent loads for me in my 223rem. It is achieving under 1/2" at 100m and velocities only vary by about 12fps over 10 shots.

There is no substitute for methodical load development.

I have also tried BenchMark 2 & AR2207. The BM2 was good but the BM8208 is better. The AR2207 will probably get used for pest control rounds as it still gets me sub-MOA but there is less flash from my 18" barrel, which I just feel is better for night time shooting.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Apollo » 23 Nov 2016, 3:05 pm

Alliant BM8208...????

Never heard of it and nothing listed on the Alliant site even close that I could see.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 23 Nov 2016, 3:16 pm

Apollo wrote:Alliant BM8208...????

Never heard of it and nothing listed on the Alliant site even close that I could see.

Me thinks ADI BM8208 was the intention..

As an FYI to the O.P I live in the Hills district of Sydney and more then happy to have you over for an afternoon of reloading. Bring your rifle and components and you can make a doggy bag of several loads to try, if time permits I'll even take you out to St Mary's range and chronograph the loads. I work for Coke of the Cola variety which must be paid when the wife's not looking or it'll get confiscated for being unhealthy. PM me if your keen on any assistance of this kind.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 23 Nov 2016, 4:45 pm

Brett, you are the original "Good Guy"

Not to be associated with the rip of merchants that sell electrical goods
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Supaduke » 23 Nov 2016, 5:49 pm

Change to Coke Zero
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 23 Nov 2016, 5:57 pm

Supaduke wrote:Change to Coke Zero

Bite your tongue good sir !!, If I'm going to drink coke then it'll be the full power version as I like to live dangerously cause the wife will kill me if she finds out :D Saturdays are great for social reloading get togethers cause I'm the boss when she's not home.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Apollo » 23 Nov 2016, 5:59 pm

Brett just wants to show off his collection of little toys...... :friends: :allegedly: :friends:

Don't know how much reloading would get done..... :drinks:
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 23 Nov 2016, 7:22 pm

Apollo wrote:Brett just wants to show off his collection of little toys...... :friends: :allegedly: :friends:

Don't know how much reloading would get done..... :drinks:

I might offer the OP a chance to fondle my massive weaponry but as always it's work before pleasure :)
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Apollo » 23 Nov 2016, 7:32 pm

brett1868 wrote:I might offer the OP a chance to fondle my massive weaponry but as always it's work before pleasure :)

I hope he/she takes you up on the offer. There is absolutely nothing better than hands on instruction/advice. :thumbsup:
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 23 Nov 2016, 8:28 pm

brett1868 wrote:
Apollo wrote:Alliant BM8208...????

Me thinks ADI BM8208 was the intention..

Yep. My mistake. Not thinking straight.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Sydneywizard » 25 Nov 2016, 6:39 am

brett1868 wrote:
Apollo wrote:
As an FYI to the O.P I live in the Hills district of Sydney and more then happy to have you over for an afternoon of reloading. Bring your rifle and components and you can make a doggy bag of several loads to try, if time permits I'll even take you out to St Mary's range and chronograph the loads. I work for Coke of the Cola variety which must be paid when the wife's not looking or it'll get confiscated for being unhealthy. PM me if your keen on any assistance of this kind.

Very generous of you Brett and I'm most grateful. Rest assured, the supply of Coke will be organised and disguised in any manner you see fit to pull the proverbial over the eyes of she who must be obeyed. I'll send you a PM shortly.
Sydneywizard
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Return to Reloading ammunition