Getting tumbling media out of brass?

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Getting tumbling media out of brass?

Post by Cooper » 21 Nov 2016, 8:54 am

Cleaned my first couple of batches in the tumbler with walnut media. Cases look pretty good (223 and 7mm 08) seperated the cases and media. Looked pretty good! On closer inspection of have a couple of specs of tumbler media still in some of the brass. Gave them a good shake out and tap and even got a bit compressed air happening. And repeated trying to get it all out. But can still find the odd spec inside the case. Be buggered if I want to go to this much effort ever time. Also the tumbler hardly touched the primer pockets. Thinking of going a sonic cleaner. Thoughts? thanks
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Re: Getting tumbling media out of brass?

Post by AusTac » 21 Nov 2016, 9:13 am

For my low volume stuff i just use a sonic one, with a wipe of metho and a primer pocket cleaner, comes out tops ready to be dirtied again
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by juststarting » 21 Nov 2016, 9:13 am

I came to the same conclusion about two months ago. The dust doesn't bother me. Just use a brush; and poke the odd granule out of the primer pocket... I don't think some dust is going to make a difference. You could always wash them. But, I just wasn't getting the crap off the brass, so ordered a rotary tumbler and some stainless steel media.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by yoshie » 21 Nov 2016, 4:48 pm

I use one of these
Attachments
download (1).jpg
download (1).jpg (5.41 KiB) Viewed 2868 times
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by tom604 » 21 Nov 2016, 6:09 pm

i just use a paper clip,what ever stays in after that gets shot out :unknown: a speck here or there is nothing to worry about :thumbsup:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by fenderstrat » 22 Nov 2016, 7:31 am

I tap them for a bit on a piece of wood when i get them out of the tumbler, then again when im about to lube them to resize, usually that gets pretty much everything out, if not, the rezising/decapping gets the rest out. a bit annoying but its part of my routine now...
fenderstrat
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Cooper » 22 Nov 2016, 8:37 am

Thanks for the replies. I think I am being a bit overly paranoid about it. I wasn't expecting to have to much after pulling them out of the tumbler. I kind of just expected the tumbling media would just fall out. Pretty sure a sonic cleaner is on my next order. Thanks
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 22 Nov 2016, 9:23 am

used to use a air compressor to clean them out but was a PITA to be honest, I wonder how the steel pins go for this type of work, might be better but never used them. I don't do high volume anymore so just use a cheap Aldi Ultra Sonic Cleaner (was about $12 from memory and holds around 40-50 cases of 223 roughly.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by brett1868 » 22 Nov 2016, 8:54 pm

I use a small screwdriver to clear the flash hole, I tried compressed air once and somewhere on the neighbours roof is a 30/30 case :)
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by sakoBC » 23 Nov 2016, 6:12 am

My brass goes into the tumbler with the primers left in. This avoids getting any media stuck in the primer pocket/flash hole. Then full Length resize and de-prime at the same time.
I keep the tumbler running as I take the cleaned brass out. If you rest the case against the side of the tumbler with the mouth of the case facing down into the tumbler it will vibrate out any residual media.
Primer pockets are cleaned with an appropriate fitting screwdriver.
sakoBC
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by petemacsydney » 23 Nov 2016, 7:44 am

I use a Robbins Main Beam TBM machine to get the corn media out of my primer pockets.
a little expensive, but very useful piece of kit.
_________
Are you ready for the Zombie apocalypse?
petemacsydney
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Return to Reloading ammunition