Swapping black powder for smokeless rifle powder formula?

Black powder rifles and pistols, reloading black powder, and other information. The smoky stuff.

Swapping black powder for smokeless rifle powder formula?

Post by sha » 22 Nov 2013, 8:07 am

Help me BP experts :D

Just curious really but if you had an old black power rifle or cartridges, can you substitute this for modern smokeless rifle powder reasonably easy?

Like is there something like XX grains of BP = XX grains of ADI 2208 or something like that?

Or am I barking up the wrong tree here?
Savage Axis The Definition of Accuracy

Savage 93 .22 WMR
Savage 93R17 .17 HMR
Savage 110FP .308 WIN
sha
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Re: Swapping black powder for smokeless rifle powder formula

Post by Noisydad » 22 Nov 2013, 7:10 pm

YouTube CVA rifles. There's a video of BP muzzle loaders being blown apart by loading an equal volume of smokeless powder! There are older cartridge calibres than can be loaded BP or smokeless such as 32-20; 32-40; 45-70 to name just a few. BP cartridges MUST be filled with powder (sometimes even slightly compressed powder) or with wads to fill up any air space. Air space on top of BP equals pressure spikes that can bulge or burst barrels.
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Hardcast » 22 Nov 2013, 7:13 pm

yep, you're barking up the wrong tree.

Very dangerous, not saying that modern B/P rifles can't be loaded with smokeless, but as far as any formular, no.
Firstly your B/P Rifle, Pistol or Gun must be proof tested for modern use. Most modern built ones are proof tested and say so. Even then, a black powder substitute is the prefered way to go.
Old originals are in no way strong enough to handle the pressure of modern powder.
Secondly, not sure why you would want to do it.
Yes there are plenty of modern rifles, made in Black powder calibes, 32.20, 32.40, 44.40, 45.70 that can and are loaded with smokeless powders.
The 44.40 lever action has been a popular pig gun for many to use, and the 45.70 has killed many larger animals.
I think many would argue that Smokeless powder relies more on pressure build up, hence the bottle neck case design, whereas most Black powder
designs are straight or only just tapered so as to release the gas quickly. Hence, black powder doesn't usually go well in bottle neck cases.

For me, stick to B/P in them.
Hope this helps.
Hardcast
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Redwood » 23 Nov 2013, 7:28 am

Noisydad wrote:BP cartridges MUST be filled with powder (sometimes even slightly compressed powder) or with wads to fill up any air space. Air space on top of BP equals pressure spikes that can bulge or burst barrels.

I've never quite got my head around that.

With the small air space, the explosion moves too fast through the space to me let out or something? Is that the gist of it?
Redwood
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bunnybuster » 02 Dec 2013, 11:41 am

DO NOT try to convert loading data for black to smokeless powder,use a reliable reloading manual/chart for smokeless powder in that

cartridge in the particular rifle you use,do it now before you blind yourself or blast your fingers off,not to mention your ear drums,Hmmmmm ?

BB.
bunnybuster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by iwaslike » 03 Dec 2013, 9:03 am

bunnybuster wrote:DO NOT try to convert loading data for black to smokeless powder,use a reliable reloading manual/chart for smokeless powder in that

cartridge in the particular rifle you use,do it now before you blind yourself or blast your fingers off,not to mention your ear drums,Hmmmmm ?

BB.

So the formula is 'black powder divided by smokless rifles powder equals no fingers' ?

:lol:
Sauer S101 Classic .308
iwaslike
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Monty » 03 Dec 2013, 9:52 am

iwaslike wrote:So the formula is 'black powder divided by smokless rifles powder equals no fingers' ?

That's a pretty universal formula in reloading if you make assumptions about such things ;)
Obligatory moderator signature: If you can't play by the rules, don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Monty

New South Wales

Post by Bourt » 03 Dec 2013, 9:53 am

Monty wrote:That's a pretty universal formula in reloading if you make assumptions about such things ;)

Well that's encouraging for people looking to get into the sport :P
Bourt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Hercl » 03 Dec 2013, 3:05 pm

Bourt wrote:Well that's encouraging for people looking to get into the sport :P

Today's schedule.

12:30 Welcome new members.

1:00pm Shooting session.

1:45pm Lose a finger

2:00pm Lunch.

Come on down! Fun for the whole family :lol:
What is this "too many rifles" you speak of?
Hercl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by sha » 04 Dec 2013, 10:15 am

Thanks all.

Not looking to do this myself so the fingers are just. Just an idea that popped into my head for some reason.
Savage Axis The Definition of Accuracy

Savage 93 .22 WMR
Savage 93R17 .17 HMR
Savage 110FP .308 WIN
sha
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Return to Black powder shooting