1st time reloading

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

1st time reloading

Post by Mongrel » 09 Dec 2016, 7:28 pm

Well, i was all excited to try out my new press i got a few weeks back. Well i already collet/neck sized the brass and cleaned and deprimed them.
So i spent a bit of time sorting out the brass and then priming 130 cases. I then set up the dies and seated a bullet with no primer or powder just to make sure
i got the OAL correct. Got to 2.800 which is what the manual said.
So i grabbed my 308 out of the safe and round wont load..$%&% %$^^ !$%$.
So i grabbed a few more rounds that were prepped and none will chamber the bolt gets to about 1inch from end and stops :(
Grabbed a new round just to make sure and straight in no worries.
I then proceeded to youtube and tried to full length size one. Ive &$%%# 2 cases so far beyond use and im no closer to getting it sorted.

Anyone else use lee dies with a hornady lock n load classic press?

TIA Jamie
Norinco 22lr
Howa 1500 308
Just the beginning :)
Mongrel
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: 1st time reloading

Post by Apollo » 09 Dec 2016, 7:45 pm

Let's go to the last part first.

In what way have you stuffed 2 cases after trying to FLS them..??

If they are that bad, a photo would be handy.

Previous part, you neck sized cases and seated a bullet but they won't chamber, but do the cases chamber prior to seating a bullet...??

What exact type of Lee Dies as they can be a little different and there are two ways to set them up depending what type of press you have. Re-read the instructions cause if you set them up following the Lee Press setting then using another type of press (ie one that cams over) then you will have a problem. The Lee instructions do show two different ways to adjust their dies. A trick for the unwary.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 09 Dec 2016, 7:50 pm

Mongrel wrote:Well, i was all excited to try out my new press i got a few weeks back. Well i already collet/neck sized the brass and cleaned and deprimed them.
So i spent a bit of time sorting out the brass and then priming 130 cases. I then set up the dies and seated a bullet with no primer or powder just to make sure
i got the OAL correct. Got to 2.800 which is what the manual said.
So i grabbed my 308 out of the safe and round wont load..$%&% %$^^ !$%$.
So i grabbed a few more rounds that were prepped and none will chamber the bolt gets to about 1inch from end and stops :(
Grabbed a new round just to make sure and straight in no worries.
I then proceeded to youtube and tried to full length size one. Ive &$%%# 2 cases so far beyond use and im no closer to getting it sorted.

Anyone else use lee dies with a hornady lock n load classic press?

TIA Jamie

The bolt stops an inch short of battery?
That can't be a matter of case sizing.
What bullet are you using?
Is it the same bullet as your loaded rounds?
How are the cases damaged?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by happyhunter » 09 Dec 2016, 7:58 pm

Last edited by happyhunter on 26 Apr 2017, 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Bills Shed » 09 Dec 2016, 8:29 pm

Just a thought, was the shoulder damaged when you ,neck? Sized them. To be a inch out of battery means there is something out of spec. My money is on a slightly crumpled / damaged case during sizing. As above, did the case fit the chamber before you sized it?
Bill
Swaging your own projectiles is the ultimate in flexibility.
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Oldbloke » 09 Dec 2016, 8:33 pm

An inch is a hell of a long way. Sorry to ask but, are they 308?
Suggest pics of cases and the dummy round. With ruler beside for size.

Heres how to set up dies.
http://www.chuckhawks.com/adjust_reloading_dies.htm
Last edited by Oldbloke on 09 Dec 2016, 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bills Shed » 09 Dec 2016, 8:34 pm

Just a thought, was the shoulder damaged when you ,neck? Sized them. To be a inch out of battery means there is something out of spec. My money is on a slightly crumpled / damaged case during sizing. As above, did the case fit the chamber before you sized it?
Bill
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Mongrel » 09 Dec 2016, 9:21 pm

Apollo wrote:Let's go to the last part first.

In what way have you stuffed 2 cases after trying to FLS them..??

If they are that bad, a photo would be handy.

Previous part, you neck sized cases and seated a bullet but they won't chamber, but do the cases chamber prior to seating a bullet...??

What exact type of Lee Dies as they can be a little different and there are two ways to set them up depending what type of press you have. Re-read the instructions cause if you set them up following the Lee Press setting then using another type of press (ie one that cams over) then you will have a problem. The Lee instructions do show two different ways to adjust their dies. A trick for the unwary.

Ok firstly thanks.
Ive neck sized all my used cases so i cant try them. They Were all factory rounds fired once through my rifle.
The dies are LEE ultimate die set 308 winchester And my press is a Hornady Lock n Load Classic.
Ive tried both ways they list on the instructions, none work.

And here is the pics of the rounds and also the damage caused from excessive pushing.

reloading 1.jpg
reloading 1.jpg (120.04 KiB) Viewed 5052 times

Realoding 2.jpg
Realoding 2.jpg (110.25 KiB) Viewed 5052 times

Stuffed cases.jpg
Stuffed cases.jpg (143.12 KiB) Viewed 5052 times

Also like to add that the stuffed collet size brass i didnt have the decapping pin in.
Norinco 22lr
Howa 1500 308
Mongrel
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Bills Shed » 09 Dec 2016, 9:40 pm

Does a neck sized case chamber? ( without the projectile ).
Bill
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Mongrel » 09 Dec 2016, 9:42 pm

Bills Shed wrote:Does a neck sized case chamber? ( without the projectile ).
Bill

Nope :(
Norinco 22lr
Howa 1500 308
Mongrel
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Mongrel » 09 Dec 2016, 9:56 pm

OK guess what?????
I just tried 12 rounds none fitted or came even close, tried factory and ofcourse went in smooth. Tried my 1st seated bullet and it went in fine.
Then i tried all the 1st 12 which wouldnt go in all night and they all worked flawlessly, smooth as.
W T F!!!!!! could cause this? Dont get me wrong im happy there working but why all of a sudden????

Thanks all for your input

Dazed and Confused
Norinco 22lr
Howa 1500 308
Mongrel
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by juststarting » 09 Dec 2016, 10:04 pm

Mongrel, that messed up case is a right of passage for getting used to the Collete die! I have a souvenir just like that.

It sounds like you are not adjusting the Collete die correctly.

1. Get a permanent marker.
2. Insert shell holder
3. Raise the ram with the shell holder
4. Screw in the die so it touches the shell holder
5. As you are doing that, make sure the press handle is down so the ram stays in position.

6. Now, screw down the tightening nut almost all the way, but not fully and draw a line on the die and the nut. Screw the die down one more turn so the line you drew is aligned again.

7. Now, insert case, raise the ram and apply pressure, just enough untill you start filling spring-like tension, almost like a spring is pushing down on the ram and you are pushing the ram into that spring. Once you feel that - stop.

8. Drop the ram.

9. Chamber the case. Should work. It actually requires a lot less pressure than you think initially.

10. Take the projectile and just drop it into the mouth of the case. If it falls through, pop the case back into the press and apply little bit more pressure, untill there's appropriate neck tension. If not, go back to step 7.

Hope that helps.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 09 Dec 2016, 10:05 pm

Uh, didn't see your last post.

No idea.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Mongrel » 09 Dec 2016, 10:15 pm

juststarting wrote:Mongrel, that messed up case is a right of passage for getting used to the Collete die! I have a souvenir just like that.

It sounds like you are not adjusting the Collete die correctly.

1. Get a permanent marker.
2. Insert shell holder
3. Raise the ram with the shell holder
4. Screw in the die so it touches the shell holder
5. As you are doing that, make sure the press handle is down so the ram stays in position.

6. Now, screw down the tightening nut almost all the way, but not fully and draw a line on the die and the nut. Screw the die down one more turn so the line you drew is aligned again.

7. Now, insert case, raise the ram and apply pressure, just enough untill you start filling spring-like tension, almost like a spring is pushing down on the ram and you are pushing the ram into that spring. Once you feel that - stop.

8. Drop the ram.

9. Chamber the case. Should work. It actually requires a lot less pressure than you think initially.

10. Take the projectile and just drop it into the mouth of the case. If it falls through, pop the case back into the press and apply little bit more pressure, untill there's appropriate neck tension. If not, go back to step 7.

Hope that helps.

Cheers JS :)
Besides the marker i used a pen on top of the die and did exactly that. Pulled the lever, checked to see if bullet fell through and readjusted it till it was tight.
And yes it was almost no pressure at all, i was very surprised at how little it would take.
And i see u read my next post, Got me stumped :(
Norinco 22lr
Howa 1500 308
Mongrel
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Apollo » 09 Dec 2016, 10:18 pm

Rounds not feeding with Bolt 1" back, now feeding.. I'm thinking the round did not chamber correctly, perhaps caught on the feed lip but roughly crooked and the bolt locked / wouldn't push it all the way. Don't force them either. Maybe now they will all feed and nothing is wrong.

Last photo, case on the left. I have one of those a mate did in my RCBS Press with Redding Die. He set the die incorrectly, way too low and I believe the neck caught and got pushed into the case. This one by the way does feed in a chamber. Will it blow out...?? I don't know and really I don't think I'd load it up and see what happens. Even though it's a brand new Lapua Case, it's a talking point case at this stage. His mistake, didn't read the instructions. My loss but I kept the case to remind him that mistakes do happen....
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by juststarting » 09 Dec 2016, 10:19 pm

Kinda pulling this out of my... Could it be that you had an abstraction that got dislodged with factory round pushing it through? Check the bore.

Or force of the bolt squeezing the neck? Maybe try with more fresh cases and see if you can replicate or if it works?
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Mongrel » 10 Dec 2016, 5:26 am

juststarting wrote:Kinda pulling this out of my... Could it be that you had an abstraction that got dislodged with factory round pushing it through? Check the bore.

Or force of the bolt squeezing the neck? Maybe try with more fresh cases and see if you can replicate or if it works?

Thx again. Bore is/was clean. Not sure what changed one sec nothing loads next they all.are.with no issues.
I will try some more tonight and see what happens.

Crossed fingers
:)
Norinco 22lr
Howa 1500 308
Mongrel
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Flyer » 10 Dec 2016, 4:33 pm

EDIT: Looking at the case on the left, the mouth of the neck is a lot larger than the others - too much pressure?
The laws of physics do not apply to politics.
Flyer
Corporal
Corporal

-

Post by duncan61 » 10 Dec 2016, 5:06 pm

I am going to ask one simple question are you using case lube for resizing.I have started using a spray on type.The 7mm will be a complete bitch if the die is not clean and lubed correctly and I swipe the inner case with a cotten bud miniscule amount of lube but you can feel it
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by duncan61 » 10 Dec 2016, 5:13 pm

Also when I have made 10 I cycle them all through the mag then put them away.I used to do a bit of amateur guiding for blokes I met at the range or anyone who was into shooting and nothing does your nut more than hunting for 2 hours.You give them the shot and they have equipment issues.
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Mongrel » 10 Dec 2016, 6:06 pm

Thanks guys for all your input it has been invaluable as usual :)
I spent the last few hours going through what you guys posted and youtube and now there all finished. After neck sizing i cycled random rounds through the gun then when all were finished i grabbed 25 random rounds and cycled through the gun no issues at all.

Still dont know why they wouldnt chamber first time round, but im glad that they do now.

p.s. i did spray the cases with some lanox to lube them up.
Norinco 22lr
Howa 1500 308
Mongrel
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by duncan61 » 10 Dec 2016, 6:26 pm

Good one.Thanks for not taking offence.I made some pretty basic errors when i first started like reloading wet shotshells ooppps.Using to much bees wax lube and the powder didnt go in the case on a hornet the list goes on
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Mongrel » 10 Dec 2016, 7:45 pm

duncan61 wrote:Good one.Thanks for not taking offence.I made some pretty basic errors when i first started like reloading wet shotshells ooppps.Using to much bees wax lube and the powder didnt go in the case on a hornet the list goes on

When did u say something offensive?
All i read was helpful information...appreciate it
And yeah im gonna make a few more errors b4 i get it down pact

Thanks Jamie
Norinco 22lr
Howa 1500 308
Mongrel
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by superdave » 27 Dec 2016, 5:36 am

le-wilson-308-winchester-case-gage-04029.jpg
le-wilson-308-winchester-case-gage-04029.jpg (222.8 KiB) Viewed 4065 times

Hi Mongrel (and everybody else :) ), you seem to have your sizing problem resolved for now.

For future reference, I suggest buying one of these in the caliber you're loading for. It's a case gauge, with the correct dimensions for the case. In other words if you've set everything up right, and run the case through, it should drop easily into the gauge and sit inside as it is in the photo.

The other end is important as well, if the neck sits outside the end of the steel, then you should seriously look at trimming your cases. This can be another reason why the bolt won't close, as I found to my annoyance when my AR15 wouldn't go into battery because I as a beginner assumed that my cases were probably ok.

The case gauge is a very fast, easy way to check that your case has been formed properly and will chamber reliably.

I run all my cases through this way and very seldom have anything that won't chamber.

I had one the other day in 9mm, but that was because I obviously had missed it to begin with.
superdave
Recruit
Recruit

New Zealand

Post by Mongrel » 27 Dec 2016, 3:22 pm

superdave wrote:
le-wilson-308-winchester-case-gage-04029.jpg

Hi Mongrel (and everybody else :) ), you seem to have your sizing problem resolved for now.

For future reference, I suggest buying one of these in the caliber you're loading for. It's a case gauge, with the correct dimensions for the case. In other words if you've set everything up right, and run the case through, it should drop easily into the gauge and sit inside as it is in the photo.

The other end is important as well, if the neck sits outside the end of the steel, then you should seriously look at trimming your cases. This can be another reason why the bolt won't close, as I found to my annoyance when my AR15 wouldn't go into battery because I as a beginner assumed that my cases were probably ok.

The case gauge is a very fast, easy way to check that your case has been formed properly and will chamber reliably.

I run all my cases through this way and very seldom have anything that won't chamber.

I had one the other day in 9mm, but that was because I obviously had missed it to begin with.

Cheets mate. Looks like an easy and quick way to check.
So far they seem to be ok. Ive fired bout 10 of my reloaded rounds through and no issues so far.
Norinco 22lr
Howa 1500 308
Mongrel
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by brett1868 » 27 Dec 2016, 4:43 pm

Where you at Mongrel? Was thinking you'd be out at the compound repelling Zombies :)
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Mongrel » 27 Dec 2016, 7:31 pm

brett1868 wrote:Where you at Mongrel? Was thinking you'd be out at the compound repelling Zombies :)

Lol gday brett. Yeah mate we are at your spot. Very hot here nd unfortunately we wont be here when u get here. My dogs arent coping well and its only getting hotter. When u get here watch out for ticks as ive had 5 on me today. But didn't bite me luckily. As for hunting havent seen anything again besides few roos . But having a ball shooting targets and relaxing.
Your firebreaks are getting overgrown now aswel.

Talk more later mate
Norinco 22lr
Howa 1500 308
Mongrel
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by brett1868 » 27 Dec 2016, 7:52 pm

Mongrel wrote:
brett1868 wrote:Where you at Mongrel? Was thinking you'd be out at the compound repelling Zombies :)

Lol gday brett. Yeah mate we are at your spot. Very hot here nd unfortunately we wont be here when u get here. My dogs arent coping well and its only getting hotter. When u get here watch out for ticks as ive had 5 on me today. But didn't bite me luckily. As for hunting havent seen anything again besides few roos . But having a ball shooting targets and relaxing.
Your firebreaks are getting overgrown now aswel.

Talk more later mate

Bugger, not having much luck out there mate with mud the first time and dust this time but at least in the heat you're not going to get bogged :) I'll catch up with you later in the week as I'm rethinking my trip up there cause no chance of getting any meaningful work done in >40c.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Return to Reloading ammunition