1st time reloading

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Re: 1st time reloading

Post by duncan61 » 10 Dec 2016, 5:06 pm

I am going to ask one simple question are you using case lube for resizing.I have started using a spray on type.The 7mm will be a complete bitch if the die is not clean and lubed correctly and I swipe the inner case with a cotten bud miniscule amount of lube but you can feel it
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by duncan61 » 10 Dec 2016, 5:13 pm

Also when I have made 10 I cycle them all through the mag then put them away.I used to do a bit of amateur guiding for blokes I met at the range or anyone who was into shooting and nothing does your nut more than hunting for 2 hours.You give them the shot and they have equipment issues.
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Mongrel » 10 Dec 2016, 6:06 pm

Thanks guys for all your input it has been invaluable as usual :)
I spent the last few hours going through what you guys posted and youtube and now there all finished. After neck sizing i cycled random rounds through the gun then when all were finished i grabbed 25 random rounds and cycled through the gun no issues at all.

Still dont know why they wouldnt chamber first time round, but im glad that they do now.

p.s. i did spray the cases with some lanox to lube them up.
Norinco 22lr
Howa 1500 308
Just the beginning :)
Mongrel
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by duncan61 » 10 Dec 2016, 6:26 pm

Good one.Thanks for not taking offence.I made some pretty basic errors when i first started like reloading wet shotshells ooppps.Using to much bees wax lube and the powder didnt go in the case on a hornet the list goes on
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Mongrel » 10 Dec 2016, 7:45 pm

duncan61 wrote:Good one.Thanks for not taking offence.I made some pretty basic errors when i first started like reloading wet shotshells ooppps.Using to much bees wax lube and the powder didnt go in the case on a hornet the list goes on

When did u say something offensive?
All i read was helpful information...appreciate it
And yeah im gonna make a few more errors b4 i get it down pact

Thanks Jamie
Norinco 22lr
Howa 1500 308
Mongrel
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by superdave » 27 Dec 2016, 5:36 am

le-wilson-308-winchester-case-gage-04029.jpg
le-wilson-308-winchester-case-gage-04029.jpg (222.8 KiB) Viewed 4104 times

Hi Mongrel (and everybody else :) ), you seem to have your sizing problem resolved for now.

For future reference, I suggest buying one of these in the caliber you're loading for. It's a case gauge, with the correct dimensions for the case. In other words if you've set everything up right, and run the case through, it should drop easily into the gauge and sit inside as it is in the photo.

The other end is important as well, if the neck sits outside the end of the steel, then you should seriously look at trimming your cases. This can be another reason why the bolt won't close, as I found to my annoyance when my AR15 wouldn't go into battery because I as a beginner assumed that my cases were probably ok.

The case gauge is a very fast, easy way to check that your case has been formed properly and will chamber reliably.

I run all my cases through this way and very seldom have anything that won't chamber.

I had one the other day in 9mm, but that was because I obviously had missed it to begin with.
superdave
Recruit
Recruit

New Zealand

Post by Mongrel » 27 Dec 2016, 3:22 pm

superdave wrote:
le-wilson-308-winchester-case-gage-04029.jpg

Hi Mongrel (and everybody else :) ), you seem to have your sizing problem resolved for now.

For future reference, I suggest buying one of these in the caliber you're loading for. It's a case gauge, with the correct dimensions for the case. In other words if you've set everything up right, and run the case through, it should drop easily into the gauge and sit inside as it is in the photo.

The other end is important as well, if the neck sits outside the end of the steel, then you should seriously look at trimming your cases. This can be another reason why the bolt won't close, as I found to my annoyance when my AR15 wouldn't go into battery because I as a beginner assumed that my cases were probably ok.

The case gauge is a very fast, easy way to check that your case has been formed properly and will chamber reliably.

I run all my cases through this way and very seldom have anything that won't chamber.

I had one the other day in 9mm, but that was because I obviously had missed it to begin with.

Cheets mate. Looks like an easy and quick way to check.
So far they seem to be ok. Ive fired bout 10 of my reloaded rounds through and no issues so far.
Norinco 22lr
Howa 1500 308
Mongrel
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by brett1868 » 27 Dec 2016, 4:43 pm

Where you at Mongrel? Was thinking you'd be out at the compound repelling Zombies :)
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Mongrel » 27 Dec 2016, 7:31 pm

brett1868 wrote:Where you at Mongrel? Was thinking you'd be out at the compound repelling Zombies :)

Lol gday brett. Yeah mate we are at your spot. Very hot here nd unfortunately we wont be here when u get here. My dogs arent coping well and its only getting hotter. When u get here watch out for ticks as ive had 5 on me today. But didn't bite me luckily. As for hunting havent seen anything again besides few roos . But having a ball shooting targets and relaxing.
Your firebreaks are getting overgrown now aswel.

Talk more later mate
Norinco 22lr
Howa 1500 308
Mongrel
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by brett1868 » 27 Dec 2016, 7:52 pm

Mongrel wrote:
brett1868 wrote:Where you at Mongrel? Was thinking you'd be out at the compound repelling Zombies :)

Lol gday brett. Yeah mate we are at your spot. Very hot here nd unfortunately we wont be here when u get here. My dogs arent coping well and its only getting hotter. When u get here watch out for ticks as ive had 5 on me today. But didn't bite me luckily. As for hunting havent seen anything again besides few roos . But having a ball shooting targets and relaxing.
Your firebreaks are getting overgrown now aswel.

Talk more later mate

Bugger, not having much luck out there mate with mud the first time and dust this time but at least in the heat you're not going to get bogged :) I'll catch up with you later in the week as I'm rethinking my trip up there cause no chance of getting any meaningful work done in >40c.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Return to Reloading ammunition