Reloading for 300wm

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Reloading for 300wm

Post by Australian_Patriot » 05 Jan 2017, 1:40 pm

Gday Guys, Merry Christmas and Happy new year to all.

I shoot a Tkka T3x in an MDT chassis, I am hunting inside 500m, however would like to be able to target shoot effectively to 1k +, would a SMK HPBT 175, 195 or 200 + projie be the way to go? I only want one round/load for both hunting and long range target.

My next question is (excuse my naivety on the subject - I havent been reloading for long), since measuring my CBTO I have realised i can seat a 175 smk hpbt bullet out farther of the case, allowing more powder capacity, I am currently 60 thou off the lands, CBTO is 2.883 to fit an MDT mag. ADi rifle data states that for my below load not to use no more than than 76.5 of 2213, however since i am seating the bullet out farther is there a rule of thumb on the increase of powder? ex. +.2, +. 4 etc.

My current load is:

175 SMK HPBT
76 gr of 2213sc
CBTO 2.883
60 thou off lands.

I welcome any feedback from anyone who has a ton more experience than i do.

Cheers,

Australian_Patriot
"Fast is fine but accuracy is final."
Australian_Patriot
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Re: Reloading for 300wm

Post by BBJ » 06 Jan 2017, 9:17 am

I'll leave the 1k target shooting to the other guys as I'm no expert there.

300 Win Mag is suitable for hunting <500m but that projectile really isn't.

Sierra acknowledge this themselves on their website.

While they are recognized around the world for record-setting accuracy, MatchKing® and Tipped MatchKing® bullets are not recommended for most hunting applications.

Even though it's a hollow point it's not designed to expand. It's not designed to do anything on impact in fact, as a match bullet it's just designed for accuracy and nothing else.

Depending on the tissue or bone hit it may pencil through, or explode into shrapnel, or who knows. That's the problem, it won't be consistent and you'll likely end up with wounded game running.

On small and medium size game at mid range the SMK HPBT would be ok, purely because of the overwhelming energy the 300 win mag will put behind them. I wouldn't use them for deer at all. Or any hunting really TBH.

A proper hunting bullet will be build to rapidly expand on impact and stay in one piece, dumping all it's energy into the target, and break bone instead of bouncing or exploding off it.

Different jobs required different tools really...
Weatherby Vanguard .223 Remington
Tikka T3 Varmint Stainless .243 Winchester
R.I.P. M1 Garand .30-06 Springfield

Leupold VX-R 4-12x40
BBJ
Corporal
Corporal

Northern Territory

Post by Vati » 06 Jan 2017, 9:21 am

If you want one projectile for both have a look at "Berger VLD Hunting" projectiles.

They're match grade hunting bullets designed for expansion.

http://www.bergerbullets.com/products/hunting-bullets/

Available in these weights:

155 gr VLD Hunting
168 gr VLD Hunting
175 gr VLD Hunting
185 gr VLD Hunting
190 gr VLD Hunting
210 gr VLD Hunting
Reach out and touch...
Vati
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Australian_Patriot » 06 Jan 2017, 8:04 pm

"On small and medium size game at mid range the SMK HPBT would be ok, purely because of the overwhelming energy the 300 win mag will put behind them.

BBJ: I agree with this statement completely. I have been taking goat and small pig at 300m so far in the head and has been putting them down effectively. As you said, most likely due to the energy of the 300wm.

Cheers Vati for that link. I didnt know Berger made hunting/match grade bullets.

Does anyone know anything on this topic below?

Since measuring my CBTO I have realised i can seat a 175 smk hpbt bullet out farther of the case, allowing more powder capacity, I am currently 60 thou off the lands, CBTO is 2.883 to fit an MDT mag. ADi rifle data states that for my below load not to use no more than than 76.5 of 2213, however since i am seating the bullet out farther is there a rule of thumb on the increase of powder? ex. +.2, +. 4 etc.
Australian_Patriot
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 06 Jan 2017, 8:18 pm

Australian_Patriot wrote:Does anyone know anything on this topic below?

Since measuring my CBTO I have realised i can seat a 175 smk hpbt bullet out farther of the case, allowing more powder capacity, I am currently 60 thou off the lands, CBTO is 2.883 to fit an MDT mag. ADi rifle data states that for my below load not to use no more than than 76.5 of 2213, however since i am seating the bullet out farther is there a rule of thumb on the increase of powder? ex. +.2, +. 4 etc.

I don't know of any rule as such, just watch pressure signs as with any load.
I doubt there's going to be much difference in velocity though.

Are you actually seeing any better accuracy from reducing the jump?
Looking at the bullet it might almost be a hybrid tangent/secant ogive?
https://www.sierrabullets.com/store/product.cfm/sn/2275/308-dia-175-gr-HPBT-MatchKing

If it is then jump shouldn't be so critical.
Attachments
2275.jpg
2275.jpg (61.64 KiB) Viewed 3738 times
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Baronvonrort » 06 Jan 2017, 8:36 pm

Australian_Patriot wrote:
Does anyone know anything on this topic below?

There is no general rule because case volume varies with different brands of brass, I would test with + .2 increments then stop when signs of increased pressure occur.

What you are trying to achieve is best group accuracy which is done by tuning the load to rifle dynamics
, sometimes more powder doesn't result in better accuracy
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Australian_Patriot » 07 Jan 2017, 11:49 am

I haven't test fired the new loads seated further out yet, I will test soon though.

Cheers for the responses. Shall watch for pressure signs etc.
Australian_Patriot
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Supaduke » 07 Jan 2017, 3:19 pm

More often than not, I have found the most accurate loads to be towards the lower end of the scale. I highly doubt those few extra points of a grain will be of any benefit.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by VICHunter » 18 Jan 2017, 1:42 pm

Supaduke wrote:More often than not, I have found the most accurate loads to be towards the lower end of the scale.

Power / velocity is no guarantee of accuracy, that'll be the case for some combos.

Test and see what works for your rifle, that's the name of the game :thumbsup:
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Return to Reloading ammunition