Finally got my BRNO fox 2 shooting like a .222

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Finally got my BRNO fox 2 shooting like a .222

Post by scotty87 » 15 Jan 2017, 2:54 pm

Not bad for a 45 year old gun at least,

Treated it to a new scope, a Bushnell trophy XLT 3-9x40 as the 4x hakko wasnt letting the rifle show its true potential

Magic amount of BM2 seems to be 23.5-24gr with both my 50gr SP projectiles and 35gr VMAX.

Funnily enough both have a similar POI at 100m

IMG_20170115_143525.jpg
IMG_20170115_143525.jpg (432.03 KiB) Viewed 6493 times

IMG_20170115_143610.jpg
IMG_20170115_143610.jpg (413.53 KiB) Viewed 6493 times

IMG_20170115_143649.jpg
IMG_20170115_143649.jpg (404.03 KiB) Viewed 6493 times

Am just about out of BM2 was wondering of people's experiences with BM8208 and the .222 thinking of picking some up as I'm looking to start loading for .243 and maybe .223 this year as well.
scotty87
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: Finally got my BRNO fox 2 shooting like a .222

Post by bigfellascott » 15 Jan 2017, 3:07 pm

Looking like a good start mate, I've used 8208 in my 222 Howa and it shot well (can't remember the load combo but I think it was around the 23gn mark behind a 52gn projie from memory. 2207 goes really well in 222's usually running around 20.5gn to 21.5gn range behind a 50gn projie. I think I tried those 35gn V max in my Sako and it was ordinary from memory (stubby looking projectile if memory serves me correctly).

Mine seems to like the 50gn projies the best although the 52gns probably shot just as good but I'd prefer to run a hunting pill than a target pill when it comes to my hunting. Nosler BT's shoot great in the Howa as does the Sierra Bk and Taipan HP's. Not sure if I've tried the Bergers I have sitting on the shelves in it as yet but should get around to it I suppose.

I seat mine right into the lands more or less (I make sure they feed and extract fine) but they site in fairly close to it (couldn't tell you how close as I don't get into all that stuff, I just seat one in a empty case and just keep trying to close the bolt and put it back in the die and seat it slightly deeper until the bolt closes nicely then test, look for any pressure signs and go from there, seems to work as it shoots fine.

Anyway mate that's definitely good enough to upset foxes and the like so get into em :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by scotty87 » 15 Jan 2017, 5:27 pm

Cheers BFS was doing some reading and saw the 2207 come up as a good powder for some .243 loads even. I think I'll give the BM8208 a go first as there is a load on the adi website for the Hornady 80gr GMX projectile with this powder, which is where I want to start developing a load for a mates .243 HB howa, and I can use the 8208 in my .308 if I had to.

The problem I ran into with the 35gr VMAX is I couldn't seat it to the OAL in the adi data as my die bottomed out, they were cheap though so thought they were worth a muck around.

I put the new scope on cos last time I took it out it showed potential putting three shots in one ragged hole with the 50gr projectiles. The reticle posts were just to thick on the old hakko and I couldn't see the holes at 100, the new Bushnell at 9x works real well. I was using 2.160" oal on these as that's about as long as what will fit in the magazine.

Next excursion over the border I do I might just take this little BRNO and a fox whistle, as it'll mostly be scouting for a while before I get onto any decent game in the state forests, might be able to take a hare with it if I'm lucky, I've yet to shoot anything with it, though I'm sure it's taken alot of game in its past.
scotty87
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 15 Jan 2017, 6:13 pm

Always wanted one. But ended up buying a Marlin BA in 223.
Fark more foxes. :)
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by scotty87 » 15 Jan 2017, 7:25 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Always wanted one. But ended up buying a Marlin BA in 223.
Fark more foxes. :)

Mine was an impulse buy had been fawning over CZ527s for a while then saw this in a local gun store for $450, had to have it, it doesn't shoot factory ammo real well so I'm glad I'm getting some accuracy out of it with handloads. Am eyeing up a Lithgow LA102 in .223 this year though to shoot some heavier projectiles for a bit of fun at the range.
scotty87
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Wm.Traynor » 15 Jan 2017, 7:25 pm

Not nit-picking Scotty but you have more vertical dispersion than horizontal. Makes me suspect a bedding problem.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by scotty87 » 15 Jan 2017, 7:32 pm

Wm.Traynor wrote:Not nit-picking Scotty but you have more vertical dispersion than horizontal. Makes me suspect a bedding problem.

Yeah bedding is terrible in this stock, it looks like a dogs breakfast when you pull it apart, was going to have a crack at it this year since the Boyds stock I did for my howa turned out alright.

I'll probably use PC-7 again and Kiwi shoe polish as I have a new lot left over from the howa. I'm pretty sure it's touching as the left side of the stock heats up when the barrel gets hot.

Gonna give the stock some tru oil loving as well, it's all dried out and dented.
scotty87
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 15 Jan 2017, 9:04 pm

I would have grabbed it for that price. Looked casually for yonks but found no bargains. Anyway I did OK with the Marlin, only $530 new. Shoots about. .8 moa with handloads. Shot like a 12g with S&B lol.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 15 Jan 2017, 9:17 pm

Nothing wrong with 8208 in em mate, also 2206H goes well in the 222 if you have any of that laying around give it a go too. :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by COLLECTOR 1 » 16 Jan 2017, 5:43 am

Hi there, if you bed it it will tighten that group right up. I've got two of those Fox 222's. the one I use from time to time improved out of sight with a bedding job.

Don't loose the mag, they are worth a fortune second hand, you can't get new, and a CZ is slightly different.

If you roll the rifle over so the barrel is pointing to the left there will be a two digit date on both the barrel and action depicting year of manufacture

They ALL love 50g ballistic tips, I currently run Hornady Z max in mine and they are just explosive, and so so accurate.

Sounds like it was a bargain at that price, one recently went on used guns for over $1300, abet a good one.

Yes I'm bias ...just love em to bits those Fox!s...lol

Collector 1
More Brno's than you can poke a stick at..!!!!
COLLECTOR 1
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by happyhunter » 16 Jan 2017, 5:52 am

Last edited by happyhunter on 21 Feb 2017, 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by BRNO_Bigot » 16 Jan 2017, 7:59 pm

COLLECTOR 1 wrote:Hi there, if you bed it it will tighten that group right up. I've got two of those Fox 222's. the one I use from time to time improved out of sight with a bedding job.

Don't loose the mag, they are worth a fortune second hand, you can't get new, and a CZ is slightly different.

If you roll the rifle over so the barrel is pointing to the left there will be a two digit date on both the barrel and action depicting year of manufacture

<<snipped>>

Collector 1

Couple of things.

1) You can get CZ mags and make them work - see http://www.acme-firearms.com.au/CZ%20Products/CZ%20Magazines.htm near the bottom for instructions. They SAY .223 - but they tell me it also works for Hornet and .222, so good luck. Not saying it'd be a good idea to throw yours away, just that it's not hopeless if you do.

2) Left side of the action and the barrel, there will be a proof mark with a two digit number, which is the year it was proofed.

Nice to see it out and about again.
--
It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny
day that you realise how often they burst into flames.
BRNO_Bigot
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by scotty87 » 17 Jan 2017, 7:52 pm

BRNO_Bigot wrote:
COLLECTOR 1 wrote:Hi there, if you bed it it will tighten that group right up. I've got two of those Fox 222's. the one I use from time to time improved out of sight with a bedding job.

<<snipped>>

Collector 1

Couple of things.

1) You can get CZ mags and make them work - see http://www.acme-firearms.com.au/CZ%20Products/CZ%20Magazines.htm near the bottom for instructions. They SAY .223 - but they tell me it also works for Hornet and .222, so good luck. Not saying it'd be a good idea to throw yours away, just that it's not hopeless if you do.

2) Left side of the action and the barrel, there will be a proof mark with a two digit number, which is the year it was proofed.

Nice to see it out and about again.

Proof year on mine then is 72, hence the 45yrs old estimate.
scotty87
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Return to Reloading ammunition