Lead bullets in 20" .38 / 357 lever rifle

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Lead bullets in 20" .38 / 357 lever rifle

Post by Tiger650 » 15 Jan 2017, 9:08 pm

I have loaded a considerable quantity of .357 / 16gn AR2205 with Hornady 158gn XTP for use in a Rossi Winchester 92, after some care and attention the rifle shoots reliably well but I need to reduce costs.
Recently had the opportunity to shoot a few .38 semi wadcutter rounds and pleased to find the gun cycled well, apparently some Rossi rifles do not like feeding the .38 special and particularly flat nose bullets.
I do not want to cast my own projectiles nor use gas checks but would like to shoot 145 gn hardcast Black Widow at the highest velocity available without leading [lead deposits] in the bore.
The rifle is stainless steel if that matters.
Has anyone here information on loads using AP50N or maybe AP70N in similar circumstances ?
Obviously projectile cost will decrease but also propellant cost, 16gn vs maybe 4 to 7 gn adds up when reloading a lot.
Any help would be appreciated.
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: Lead bullets in 20" .38 / 357 lever rifle

Post by Oldbloke » 15 Jan 2017, 9:40 pm

Suggest you search for loads using red or green dot. Then check the ADI manual to check which has the closest burn rates.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Maxjon » 22 Mar 2020, 2:47 pm

I'm have a swaging setup for .358 lead/alloy bullets. Not sure how they would go? Might have to get a barrel for my cadet action.
Maxjon
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 22 Mar 2020, 3:45 pm

Use powder coated bullets and you don't need to worry about leading.
Or Berry's hardcast copper-plated bullets shoot very well in everything I've tried them in.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Maxjon » 22 Mar 2020, 4:23 pm

bladeracer wrote:Use powder coated bullets and you don't need to worry about leading.
Or Berry's hardcast copper-plated bullets shoot very well in everything I've tried them in.

Thanks!
I'm not a big fan of PC. I have a bottomless .358 supply, due to my swaging setup, so no point buying Berrys. I also have Hitek coating setup if I need it.
Not saying PC is bad, I simply haven't tried it yet....

What's the longest shot you've taken with the 357 mag?
Maxjon
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 22 Mar 2020, 4:50 pm

Bullbarrel033 wrote:[quote="bladeracer"Use powder coated bullets and you don't need to worry about leading.

[/quote

Thanks!
I'm not a big fan of PC. I have a bottomless .358 supply, due to my swaging setup, so no point buying Berrys. I also have Hitek coating setup if I need it.
Not saying PC is bad, I simply haven't tried it yet....

What's the longest shot you've taken with the 357 mag?

HiTek is powdercoat, it's just a brand name, I use Eastwoods.
Why do you swage rather than cast your bullets? Are you swaging them into jackets?
100m, I only got my Rossi '92 a couple months back.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Maxjon » 22 Mar 2020, 5:30 pm

I dont believe Hi tek is PC. Very similar in function, and application, but the chemical composition, is certainly not PC. Swaging produces a more consistent, and concentric bullet, and swages the gascheck on, in one stroke of the press. Admittedly I only bought the .358 die because it was a bargain at the time. But could now be very handy.
Maxjon
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 22 Mar 2020, 6:13 pm

Bullbarrel033 wrote:I dont believe Hi tek is PC. Very similar in function, and application, but the chemical composition, is certainly not PC. Swaging produces a more consistent, and concentric bullet, and swages the gascheck on, in one stroke of the press. Admittedly I only bought the .358 die because it was a bargain at the time. But could now be very handy.

The bottom line is that it does exactly the same thing as any other polymer paint, it coats the bullet to protect the lead from contacting the rifling.
With PC you don't usually need checks. I use checks if I'm lubing them, I don't when I PC them.
Do you have to cast the alloy into wire to be able to use it in the swaging die?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Maxjon » 22 Mar 2020, 6:41 pm

I've done both cast bullets, and wire. The PC I think can perform the duties of a poor mans jacket to provide more tensile strength to the bullet upon firing. That's something Hitek cannot do.
Maxjon
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 22 Mar 2020, 6:44 pm

Bullbarrel033 wrote:I've done both cast bullets, and wire. The PC I think can perform the duties of a poor mans jacket to provide more tensile strength to the bullet upon firing. That's something Hitek cannot do.

Do you buy lead wire or do you have to cast it first?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Maxjon » 22 Mar 2020, 6:51 pm

Done both.....
Maxjon
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 22 Mar 2020, 6:53 pm

Bullbarrel033 wrote:Done both.....

Is lead wire readily available?
What sizes does it come in, I'd like to try some myself. I assume it's just pure lead?
Does it cost more than lead sheet?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Maxjon » 22 Mar 2020, 7:01 pm

The lead wire I tried was given to me. It was not ideal, because it was too small in diameter at 6.2mm in diameter, ideal for .30cal jacketed bullets. It also was too soft for pistol bullets. I like to add a small amount of tin to my .358 bullets, so casting cores in a modified lee 6 cav. was the option.
Maxjon
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 22 Mar 2020, 7:14 pm

Bullbarrel033 wrote:The lead wire I tried was given to me. It was not ideal, because it was too small in diameter at 6.2mm in diameter, ideal for .30cal jacketed bullets. It also was too soft for pistol bullets. I like to add a small amount of tin to my .358 bullets, so casting cores in a modified lee 6 cav. was the option.

So to swage unjacketed lead bullets you first have to cast the alloy into wire?
I think I'll stick with just casting the bullets.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Maxjon » 22 Mar 2020, 8:33 pm

Its totally dependant on projectile use, and or hardness requirements. Swaged bullets, will always be more consistent, and concentric.
Maxjon
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 22 Mar 2020, 8:57 pm

Bullbarrel033 wrote:Its totally dependant on projectile use, and or hardness requirements. Swaged bullets, will always be more consistent, and concentric.

Sure, but I just vary the alloy and the coating to suit my requirements, it's what makes cast bullets so versatile.
They may be more consistent, but they're still cast bullets, and cast bullets can be plenty accurate.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Maxjon » 22 Mar 2020, 9:18 pm

Yes I love cast bullets, and they can be very accurate. They are only cast, until they are swaged. Once swaged, they have no air bubbles or voids, and are way more consistent.
Maxjon
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 22 Mar 2020, 9:19 pm

Bullbarrel033 wrote:Yes I love cast bullets, and they can be very accurate. They are only cast, until they are swaged. Once swaged, they have no air bubbles or voids, and are way more consistent.

Sure, but given they are still a poorly aerodynamic cast bullet, does it make any measureable difference?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Maxjon » 22 Mar 2020, 9:48 pm

Not sure yet.
Maxjon
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 22 Mar 2020, 9:51 pm

Bullbarrel033 wrote:Not sure yet.

Post a thread when you start testing them, I'm interested in the results.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gamerancher » 23 Mar 2020, 8:18 am

There are plenty of folks shooting .357 mag using cast bullets in lever-action rifle silhouette. Mostly for the pistol calibre out to 100m, but a few use them in the open class out to 200m with good results. They have to use a heavier bullet and bump the powder up to knock down the 200m rams though.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Maxjon » 23 Mar 2020, 11:26 am

Gamerancher wrote:There are plenty of folks shooting .357 mag using cast bullets in lever-action rifle silhouette. Mostly for the pistol calibre out to 100m, but a few use them in the open class

out to 200m with good results. They have to use a heavier bullet and bump the powder up to knock down the 200m rams though.

Sounds like fun
Maxjon
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by wrenchman » 23 Mar 2020, 11:34 am

i do shoot alot of the berrys they shoot good and do not cost much
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America