.690 minies

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

.690 minies

Post by bigpete » 18 Jan 2017, 2:50 pm

Been looking at Track of the Wolf today,and they've got some hollow base 730gn .690 minie bullets there. Now I'm trying to plan/save for a kudu hunt in Africa with my grundmann muzzleloading shotgun,and,while patched round balls do shoot surprisingly awesome out of it,I worry that they may not penetrate enough. Hence why I'm keen on the conicals. Does anyone run these through a 12 bore of any sort ? May main concern is excess pressure,and the fact there's .035" difference between the bore diameter and the conical. Any advice at all is welcome,as long as its on topic. Cheers, Pete
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Re: .690 minies

Post by bigpete » 18 Jan 2017, 9:15 pm

The plan is to run them in my muzzleloader for if I get to Africa hunting kudu. I could just try flaring the skirt prior to loading somehow
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 19 Jan 2017, 8:58 pm

bigpete wrote:The plan is to run them in my muzzleloader for if I get to Africa hunting kudu. I could just try flaring the skirt prior to loading somehow

Doesnt Noisydad do that in his press?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Deco » 25 Jan 2017, 10:19 am

bigpete wrote:The plan is to run them in my muzzleloader for if I get to Africa hunting kudu. I could just try flaring the skirt prior to loading somehow

Interesting choice, what's inspired this over just using a rifle you've already got?
Browning X-Bolt Hunter in .270 Winchester
Deco
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Return to Reloading ammunition