S&B primer pockets?

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Re: S&B primer pockets?

Post by Cooper » 30 Jan 2017, 7:49 pm

I use S&B brass and S&B primers for .303. Went are had a quick look and measure.
S&B Primer pocket 3.20mm
Winchester brass blue bag primer pocket 3.20mm. (To 3.22)

S&b primer 3.17mm

I bought the Winchester blue bag after hearing people having problems with loose primer pockets and dented up neck with newer red bag stuff etc.
The blue bag s**t is the same. I have Had a primer literally fall out. The S&B seems ok I only have a couple of loadings on it though.
I like the S&B primers I have been getting them for $4 for 100 and the have all gone bang. I was thinking of getting some Winchester Primers to try in the Winchester brass. Pretty sure it's just the brass the has loose primer pockets.
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 30 Jan 2017, 8:04 pm

I'm using S&B cases & primers in the 223. Seem OK. Cases seem to stretch a lot. Have not tried other primers in those cases.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 30 Jan 2017, 8:07 pm

bentaz wrote:I contacted AVBallistics last week to order some 7.7 jap and .303-25 cases, they got back to me today saying no worries on the japs, but it will be at least a week for the others and that they would most likely be S&B cases and that I'd need to get S&B primers as the primer pockets are shallower.
Does anyone here have experience with reloading these cases that can shed a bit more light on the subject?
I don't want to hunt down more primers, not to mention its a real pain in the arse sometimes finding un-postable components when you live in the country.
Thanks in advance for any info you have. :drinks:

I'm using S&B for .303, 7.62x54R, 8x57mm, 6.5x55mm and probably others - all with Remington 9-1/2M primers.
No problems so far, but I will measure some up and if it is a problem cut the pockets deeper with a Primer Pocket Uniformer.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by yoshie » 30 Jan 2017, 9:18 pm

S&B 22 hornet have smaller flash holes and can bend and break primer pins.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by straightshooter » 31 Jan 2017, 7:19 am

bentaz wrote:and that I'd need to get S&B primers as the primer pockets are shallower.

Sounds like gobbledygook to me.
Why would a manufacturer making products for the world market depart from standard industry dimensions?
Could it be they are not smart enough to work out that a little more primer seating pressure may be all that is required for 'harder' primers?
That there is variation in hardness and cup thickness among the various primer makers is fairly common knowledge.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 31 Jan 2017, 7:54 am

bentaz wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:I'm using S&B cases & primers in the 223. Seem OK. Cases seem to stretch a lot. Have not tried other primers in those cases.

Did you buy the primers in geelong?

Got them at Centreway firearms keilor east. Too far for you. Maybe Holt's?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Barrettmr » 31 Jan 2017, 8:03 am

I am using s&b 308 cases at the moment and the pockets vary quite a bit. Some of the pockets are very shallow and most are very tight. I prime with them with the press and have to rotate the case 3 or 4 times to make sure that the primer is fully seated.
Cz 452 22 Redfield 2-7 x 32
Howa 1500 blue varmint 223 thumbhole vx1 3-9x40
Howa 1500 blue sporter 22/250 vx1 3-9x40
Howa 1500 blue ultralite 308 vx1 3-9x40
Howa Mini Action 7.62 x 39 Hawke 2-7
Barrettmr
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Barrettmr » 31 Jan 2017, 10:59 am

bentaz wrote:I emailed AvBalistics back saying if they only have the S&B 303-25s I'll double my jap order and hold off on the 25s for now.
That'll give me something to play with while i hunt around for s&b primers, theres no rush on the brass as at this stage i still need sights and cosmetic work on the gun, I've not yet got any pills or worked out what powder I'll use, etc.
The muzzle end of the barrel was in bad knick so ive shortened it to 20 inch and need to recrown it, i want to find a nice stock set and build a scout style / walk around rifle out of it. Its a nice little project, but one of many so no rush lol

The Barn in Oakey Queensland has about 70 for sale for $2 a case once fired. 303/25. https://thebarn.net.au/categories/Odds+and+Ends/5204
Barrettmr
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Barrettmr » 31 Jan 2017, 11:03 am

bentaz wrote:Thats a bit steep

That's mostly what I have seen them for sale, even through other forums. :unknown:
Barrettmr
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by juststarting » 01 Feb 2017, 1:01 am

Used S&B cases for 308 and 7.62x54R. Depth seems perfectly fine. However, pockets are very tight. To a point where I just didn't have the strength to seat them using Lee priming tool and had to use the priming arm thing on my press. That said, I would have thought it's a good thing?
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by happyhunter » 01 Feb 2017, 6:11 pm

Is the primer pocket thing specific to S&B 303-25 ? ...cos I use S&B cases for 222 Remington and haven't found it to be an issue. Doesn't make sense that S&B would produce cases that aren't to spec.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by chacho » 03 Feb 2017, 10:40 am

bentaz wrote:
bladeracer wrote:if it is a problem cut the pockets deeper with a Primer Pocket Uniformer.

Good idea, i didn't think of that.

Good to add to your case prep anyway, even better if it doubles as a solution to your problem :thumbsup:
chacho
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by juststarting » 05 Feb 2017, 6:57 pm

Sexy.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by reloader762 » 16 Feb 2017, 10:12 pm

bentaz wrote:I contacted AVBallistics last week to order some 7.7 jap and .303-25 cases, they got back to me today saying no worries on the japs, but it will be at least a week for the others and that they would most likely be S&B cases and that I'd need to get S&B primers as the primer pockets are shallower.
Does anyone here have experience with reloading these cases that can shed a bit more light on the subject?
I don't want to hunt down more primers, not to mention its a real pain in the arse sometimes finding un-postable components when you live in the country.
Thanks in advance for any info you have. :drinks:

Have lots of PPU 54r brass that had some primer pockets that were undersizes and made seating primer harder on some cases so I reamed them all out with a primer pocket uniforming tool. They make some that are adjustable so you can adjust the seating depth that you desire. Might be something you could look into and unless it's extreme they don't remove very much metal. I have the Hornady tool that will do both L & S primer pockets that I chuck up in my cordless drill and it works like a charm.
https://discord.gg/Nafuzht
reloader762
Recruit
Recruit

United States of America

Return to Reloading ammunition