Top Score Projectiles

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Top Score Projectiles

Post by Khan » 31 Jan 2017, 10:32 am

Always interested to hear about new stuff to the shooting market.

Anyone tried Top Score Projectiles in their level-action or pistol?
44 Rem. Magnum Marlin Model 1894
.280 Rem. Browning X-Bolt Hunter
Khan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Re: Top Score Projectiles

Post by Baldrick314 » 31 Jan 2017, 11:00 am

I've been using them in my pistols for years, can't fault them. They're about $15/500 cheaper than any others I can find and they function as well as I can shoot. Clean up has been easy, no excessive fouling.
.177, .22lr, .22-250R, 2x .308W, .30-30W, 7.62x54r, 8x56r, 9x19, .357 Mag, 12GA
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Wheelbarrow » 02 Mar 2017, 3:02 pm

Good they've lasted.

Personally I've always stuck with the mainstream stuff because I didn't want to work up loads with boutique ammo that might dry up in a bit.
Nikon Monarch 4-16x42
Ruger Hawkeye Standard chambered in .270 Win
Wheelbarrow
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by in2anity » 03 Mar 2017, 7:05 am

Yes I've shot them through my marlin 30/30. They are a little softer than hawkesburys and westcastings, which is good and bad. They seem to group well with Trail Boss, but I'd be hesitant pushing them past 1500fps. He can upsize them for you which is a massive plus - marlin microgroove barrels seem to like a slightly larger projectile (like one or two thou larger than grooves). Great plinker though; generally less finicky than some of the competitor's projectiles I'd say.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Harper » 16 Mar 2017, 1:20 pm

in2anity wrote:They are a little softer than hawkesburys and westcastings, which is good and bad.

What's the good and the bad of it?
Savage 14/114 American Classic 30-06 Springfield
Savage Axis 25-06 Remington
Harper
Corporal
Corporal

Northern Territory

Post by bladeracer » 16 Mar 2017, 1:50 pm

Harper wrote:
in2anity wrote:They are a little softer than hawkesburys and westcastings, which is good and bad.

It would be good if you wanted softer bullets and bad if you wanted harder bullets.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 17 Mar 2017, 5:19 pm

Harper wrote:

Soft rounds group pretty tight with the right amount of fast-burn powder. They also expand properly when hunting (if you can land the shot). Catch is you can't push em fast else they lead your barrel and/or they fail to obturate (and rattle down the barrel like chucking a sausage down a hallway). Also slow lead loads drop like a stone past 80yds, so you really gotta be on top of you trajectories and distance judging, not to mention slow lighter lead projectiles (30 cal) lose stability after a comparatively short distance. Harder projectiles on the other hand can be pushed faster, so they're flatter and a bit more versatile. It really simplifies things if you can be confident to just point and shoot without considering drop. But they can punch right through game though which is bad. Also In my experience they're not quite as accurate as the softer ones.

Also worth noting, some rifles like softer bullets, some like harder.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Return to Reloading ammunition