Dumb question time

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Dumb question time

Post by Adlippy » 31 Jan 2017, 1:11 pm

I started playing around with my press today to see how it all works, had a few missups due to lack lube, but sorted that out. I had brought a bag of once fire cases which turns out need a little trim. I have got one of those lee quick trim things but I have notice that due to lube ( they seen to stick like glue) the trimmings are getting stuck down inside the neck, how do you get them out, I am guessing it's not good to leave them there.

For the record I am still using "dummy" rounds not ready for the primers, powder yet, still working on bullet seating

Thanks
Sako Finn Fire II 22lr, Nikon pro staff 3x9x40
Sako Finn fire II 17HMR, Meopta Meopro 3x12x50
Tikka Hunter 22-250 Meopta Meopro 6x18x50
Stoeger condor 12g
Adlippy
Private
Private

New South Wales

Re: Dumb question time

Post by Baldrick314 » 31 Jan 2017, 1:37 pm

I clean the inside of my case necks after sizing with an ear bud. Just swirl it around the inside of the neck, should stop the problem from happening in the future.

To fix the ones it's already happened to I'd use a cleaning brush of the appropriate calibre dipped in whatever cleaning fluid you have on hand. I use shellite but metho or turps should achieve the same result. Couple of passes through the neck and you should be right.
.177, .22lr, .22-250R, 2x .308W, .30-30W, 7.62x54r, 8x56r, 9x19, .357 Mag, 12GA
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by superdave » 31 Jan 2017, 2:31 pm

Depends what lube you have in there. If its oil based, I'd spray brakleen into the neck and then shake it, or maybe throw all your cases into a pot with hot water and dishwash liquid, swirl them around a bit and then dump everything into an old towel.

I you have a tumbler, 10 or 20 minutes in corn or walnut media will do the same thing.
superdave
Recruit
Recruit

New Zealand

Post by Bourt » 31 Jan 2017, 3:52 pm

Is it the Lee trimmer that screws into your press, or the one with the shell holder than goes in a power trill and the length gauge/trimmer you insert by hand?
Bourt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Adlippy » 31 Jan 2017, 4:28 pm

It's the trimmer that screws into press, I will give the ear Buds a go, don't know why I didn't think of that, I did buy a sonic cleaner the other day but that adds a few extra steps to the whole production process which I was trying to avoid but if needs must, and I've just remembered I have a dehydrator in the cupboard of broken dreams at home which would be more efficient than my hosts hair dryer, she wasn't impressed for some reason.
Stoeger condor 12g
Adlippy
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 31 Jan 2017, 4:31 pm

A large plastic jar with some hot water and dish washing liquid. Give it a good shake and soak for 15 minutes.

PS. What is your avatar?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Adlippy » 31 Jan 2017, 4:57 pm

It's moose in a Mounties uniform sitting on a rock next to a fly rod, I took the photo a few years ago being meaning to change it
Stoeger condor 12g
Adlippy
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Carter » 01 Mar 2017, 12:27 pm

IMHO don't stress too much if you think there might be a tiny bit in there.

Obviously clean out what you can, but if there is a a granule or two potentially left in a case it will shoot out without incident.
Carter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Return to Reloading ammunition