Cartridge conversions, brass reforming.

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Re: Cartridge conversions, brass reforming.

Post by TheDude » 13 Feb 2017, 2:32 pm

Most oddball I've done is making 577 snider and 577-450 MH out of 24 gauge brass shot shells. Was a bit of trial and error annealing the brass enough and sizing down to put the shoulder on it for the martini. If they crushed quick they could generally be salvaged for the shorter snider cases.

Had to stop using them in my snider though, the Nepalese made the chamber a bit too big. The thin 24ga blow out and split on the first firing. Moved to Bertram and have had a dozen firings and still going strong.
TheDude
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Noisydad » 13 Feb 2017, 3:21 pm

I've successfully fireformed .303 cases to .410 shotgun.
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Gamerancher » 14 Feb 2017, 8:45 am

.300 Whisper from .223 cases, 7mm TCU from .223, 6.5 x 57 Ackley from .257 Roberts, 7 x39 from 7.62 x 39, 35 Winchester from stretched .30-40 Krag, a bunch of Ackley Improved from standard ( they're the easy ones). Sizing up in calibre is relatively easy, anneal and go up in steps. Sizing down can lead to thick necks and pressure problems in some cases. Neck turning can sometimes be necessary and a P.I.T.A.
I have a bunch of "wildcat" cases,( dummy ) that were just the result of mucking around and seeing what I could do with old cases just lying around.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Wes » 14 Feb 2017, 1:43 pm

Noisydad wrote:I've successfully fireformed .303 cases to .410 shotgun.

Not sure I get it? So you can use brass cases instead of plastic ones for slugs?
Wes
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 15 Feb 2017, 1:41 am

Wes wrote:

Not sure I get it? So you can use brass cases instead of plastic ones for slugs?

nope for shot we did this 20 years ago and used a wad shot and then just a light smear of silicone to seal it and away we go bunny bashing
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by reloader762 » 16 Feb 2017, 2:40 pm

Not really an oddball or obsolete cartridge but 300 Sav. ammo and reloadable brass can be hard to find at times so I just make my own for once fired 308 Win. or 7.62 x 51 NATO brass people just leave lying around the range. It's an easy conversion since the 300 Sav. was the parent cartridge both of those we derived from. Neck trimming is not all that much trouble as a power assist trimmer make quick work of it. Neck turning isn't needed as the Sav. 99 chamber is generous in the neck area even using the Mil Spec. brass which I use with my cast loads.

https://discord.gg/Nafuzht
reloader762
Recruit
Recruit

United States of America

Post by brett1868 » 16 Feb 2017, 2:54 pm

Did 500 50BMG to .416 Barrett before sourcing genuine cases. Bastard of a job and quite a bit of work involved but the end result was actually a damn good quality case. My advice is to use thin coats of lube (Redding neck sizing wax from memory), wipe clean after each stage and reapply. Due to the amount the neck had to be pulled down I annealed after every 2nd stage.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 16 Feb 2017, 5:03 pm

bentaz wrote:Nice one, what do you shoot 300Sav out of?

out of a savage perhaps......

Why wouldnt you just ream it out to a 308win chamber..... I KNOW I KNOW.... nostalgia and that... I think Savage even did a run of 300s recently....

Me, I dont do oddball... though I've been trying to convince myself to find a nice Carcano for a number of years now....next auction....
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 16 Feb 2017, 6:30 pm

bentaz wrote:Perhaps, but out of a savage is pretty general, maybe he cant ream it out to 308 because its not a Winchester?

Carcano is on my list too, something about it being the most unloved milsurp out there males me want one.

On a different note, i've just ordered 250 30ought6, half to become 7.7jap and the other half in 8mm krout.

Well.... either a 99 or a 110 :thumbsup:

What if it was a Rooga, you'd be in a pickle...

Couple of yrs ago at auction i missed a micky mouse carcano, went for something ridiculous 1 to 2 hungie... I think I was a bit too slow raising the arm......I'll try at the next one....

Why are you resizing for the 'krout'??....just go the ppu loaded ammo, The 303 was around one dollar or so a round when i last purchased...
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 16 Feb 2017, 9:05 pm

bentaz wrote:I've already got 500 cast pills in 8mm, powder n primers waiting. The ought 6 brass is cheap as chips and reloading is fun for me.

I meant for a brass supply, cheaper to buy them loaded....
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by reloader762 » 16 Feb 2017, 9:37 pm

bentaz wrote:Nice one, what do you shoot 300Sav out of?

My old Sav. 99 I got back in the late 80's it just has a plain Jane stock but it's a excellent shooter. I always wanted one of those 6.5 or 7.7 Japanese rifles but I just never have found one around these parts. I did get to handle a 6.5 Jap that belonged to my old boss at work that his father brought back from WWll. I did some preservation work on it just to keep the rifle in as is condition but he want ever shoot it as his father who passed several years ago said it had done all the killing it will ever do so I respect that.
Last edited by reloader762 on 16 Feb 2017, 9:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
reloader762
Recruit
Recruit

United States of America

Post by reloader762 » 16 Feb 2017, 9:58 pm

Wes wrote:

Lots of old BP shotguns will use brass case ammo instead of plastic ones,some make there own. On occasion I run across steel case shotgun ammo in .410 sold by Bear from Russian but I haven't seen any in awhile but it's out there.
reloader762
Recruit
Recruit

United States of America

Return to Reloading ammunition