What are the best rounds to reload?

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

What are the best rounds to reload?

Post by Bushie » 14 Feb 2017, 6:23 pm

Where do you guys think Is a good place to start and what rounds are the best cost wise?
12G > Anything else
Bushie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: What are the best rounds to reload?

Post by brett1868 » 14 Feb 2017, 6:29 pm

That's a loaded question....hope you're prepared for the onslaught, this is probably a better question then "Which Scope", "Tikka or Sako", "Advice on first weapon" and "Spit or Swallow". :)
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 14 Feb 2017, 6:31 pm

Bushie wrote:Where do you guys think Is a good place to start and what rounds are the best cost wise?

Wow - talk about a wide open question :-)

I'm going to say .223 Remington.
Huge variety of bullets.
Cheap bulk brass and bullets available at times.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 14 Feb 2017, 6:51 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Bushie wrote:Where do you guys think Is a good place to start and what rounds are the best cost wise?

Huge variety of bullets.

Inclined to agree. BUT what is the intended use?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Barrettmr » 14 Feb 2017, 7:08 pm

I would venture the thought that the best bullets to reload would be the one's that your reloading now :lol:
Cz 452 22 Redfield 2-7 x 32
Howa 1500 blue varmint 223 thumbhole vx1 3-9x40
Howa 1500 blue sporter 22/250 vx1 3-9x40
Howa 1500 blue ultralite 308 vx1 3-9x40
Howa Mini Action 7.62 x 39 Hawke 2-7
Barrettmr
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by sandgroperbill » 14 Feb 2017, 8:05 pm

The ones that cost the most from the lgs. Savings per round is greatest then.

For me, that's .458.
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 14 Feb 2017, 9:00 pm

I'd say the best ammo to load is the one's you own! I'd only be worried about cost if I shot a heap each week, I don't so I don't get all worried about that sort of thing, more interested in getting the rifle to shoot well and the ability to roll my own when I need too.

The projectile is usually the most expensive component and they range from cheap to expensive depending on cal of course but generally you can find cheaper offerings or expensive offerings so chose what works for you and see how it goes, with a bit of luck you will find something cheap that shoots well and buying in bulk usually saves you the most $$ in the long run.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by juststarting » 14 Feb 2017, 10:28 pm

All of them.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 14 Feb 2017, 10:29 pm

Actually, I recon a musket. Just pop the powder in, whack the ball in there and off you go. I mean, as far as the process goes, that would be the easiest :)
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 14 Feb 2017, 10:35 pm

Actually, I recon a musket. Just pop the powder in, whack the ball in there and off you go. I mean, as far as the process goes, that would be the easiest

This is more akin to an answer a BA would provide to justify the JIT manufacturing process, not at all what I'd expect from an I.T worker, maybe you're going to the wrong meetings? :D
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by juststarting » 14 Feb 2017, 10:42 pm

:twisted:
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by superdave » 14 Feb 2017, 11:36 pm

bladeracer wrote:

Huge variety of bullets.

+1
They are reasonably simple, take a modest amount of powder and the projectiles don't cost a lot.

The ones that will save you a lot per round are likely to be the magnums. Over in NZ, they typically cost $4-5 a shot.
I think I could probably load one for about $1.50- 2.00, assuming I had the dies and other stuff.
superdave
Recruit
Recruit

New Zealand

Post by GLS_1956 » 15 Feb 2017, 1:08 am

Rifle; 223Rem, 308Win, 30/06, and 303Brit. Hardest rifle cartridge I've found to reload is 22Hornet, with thin brass and shallow body taper you can easily crush the case.

Handgun cartridges, the revolver rounds are easier since you headspace on the rim and can crimp the bullets at the case mouth. Semiauto runds are harder because of you having to use body/taper crimp and make sure you're good for case mouth headspacing.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by Bushie » 15 Feb 2017, 5:31 am

bladeracer wrote:

Huge variety of bullets.

Not gonna lie I was really Hoping someone would say .223 seems Like such a fun round to play around with
12G > Anything else
Bushie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Bushie » 15 Feb 2017, 5:35 am

bentaz wrote:
What guns do you have?

I've got something to admit everyone, I currently own no guns :)))
However the liscense and PTA are processing and the fort firearm I will own shall be a Miroku mk70 and I read up on relapsing shotgun shells and everyone thinks it's not worth it which is saddening but around March I'm gonna pick up my first rifle, currently looking at the Stirling m14, just a cheap .22 which I also don't plan on reloading cause messing around with Rimfore cartridges seems really dodgy to me, but like I said before I've always been vey keen on .223 and I can see myself owning one of them mid year! Depending on how much cash I can make at KFC while I also try and not flunk at school cause all I do is daydream about guns all day :'))))
12G > Anything else
Bushie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Wylie27 » 15 Feb 2017, 6:09 am

Ohh no stop the process now or you will be forever broke. No girlfriends, ****** car, no friends... no really .22 is a gateway drug..

Reloading doesn't make it cheaper, it allows you to shoot more for the same price..
:lol:
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Bills Shed » 15 Feb 2017, 6:13 am

All I can say is welcome. We all start at the beginning, and the end is nowhere in sight. When you get to reloading , ask the question again and the answers may mean more to you.
Keep it steady and stay sane

Bill
Swaging your own projectiles is the ultimate in flexibility.
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Bills Shed » 15 Feb 2017, 6:13 am

All I can say is welcome. We all start at the beginning, and the end is nowhere in sight. When you get to reloading , ask the question again and the answers may mean more to you.
Keep it steady and stay sane

Bill
Swaging your own projectiles is the ultimate in flexibility.
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Bushie » 15 Feb 2017, 8:03 am

Wylie27 wrote:Ohh no stop the process now or you will be forever broke. No girlfriends, ****** car, no friends... no really .22 is a gateway drug..

Reloading doesn't make it cheaper, it allows you to shoot more for the same price..
:lol:

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHA I've been lucky enough to be blessed with a girlfriend who supports my passion, money on the other hand, ILL work that out somewhere down the track haha :)
12G > Anything else
Bushie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Lokvo » 15 Feb 2017, 10:28 am

I'd like to reload but just don't have the space for it or work bench :( how feasible is reloading via something like a lee hand press? or is that just really a pain?
CZ 455 Varmint .22LR w/ Nikon P-Rimfire 2-7x32 || Henry Lever H001TMV .22LR || Howa 1500 .223REM MDT HS3 Chassis w/ Leupold VX2 6-18x40
Lokvo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 15 Feb 2017, 10:31 am

Lokvo wrote:I'd like to reload but just don't have the space for it or work bench :( how feasible is reloading via something like a lee hand press? or is that just really a pain?

People do it but i would find it very tiresome before long, i'd imagine.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Lokvo » 15 Feb 2017, 10:34 am

Even for small number of reloads like around 20 - 40 rounds once a week? for 223.
CZ 455 Varmint .22LR w/ Nikon P-Rimfire 2-7x32 || Henry Lever H001TMV .22LR || Howa 1500 .223REM MDT HS3 Chassis w/ Leupold VX2 6-18x40
Lokvo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 15 Feb 2017, 10:47 am

You can do it... but i wouldn't. I find reloading tedious at the best of times. Doing it with a lee hand loader would drive me nuts!

But... you CAN do it. There's at least one or two people here that just use the Lee hand loader.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Lokvo » 15 Feb 2017, 12:05 pm

No worries. I guess I'll just have to see how i go later down the track. My lgs sells 20 rounds of 233 for around $30, cheapest is $25 for PPU 223. Is that the average price in QLD?
Lokvo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Wylie27 » 15 Feb 2017, 12:07 pm

You can get ADI outback ammo for like $169 for 200 rounds up in QLD. 55gn blitzkings I think from memory
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 15 Feb 2017, 5:00 pm

Lokvo wrote:Even for small number of reloads like around 20 - 40 rounds once a week? for 223.

You could do those with a Lee Loader without too much trouble.
I have the Lee Hand Press as well but I've only used it for priming so far. I already have the bench press pretty well set up so it's dead easy to throw in some dies and churn out some ammo. The Hand Press was more of an option for loading at the range.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 15 Feb 2017, 8:00 pm

I love reloading 9mm...500+ rounds an hour through the Dillon, might get up to 1200 if I whip the boy :)
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by simmo » 15 Feb 2017, 11:43 pm

Lokvo wrote:I'd like to reload but just don't have the space for it or work bench :( how feasible is reloading via something like a lee hand press? or is that just really a pain?

I use an arbour press with Wilson neck sizing/decaping and seating dies to reload for .260, .308 and 6.5x55 calibres. With thee tools you get high performance and very consistent :thumbsup: ammo for all applications. Your output per/hr will likely be lower than with a quality bench mounted by press but quality will be fine

https://brtshooterssupply.com.au/produc ... k-die.html

https://brtshooterssupply.com.au/produc ... eater.html
simmo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Bushie » 16 Feb 2017, 5:34 am

If I picked up a hand loaded, theoretically, could I do everything I need to do to reload on that, plus a primer feeder?
12G > Anything else
Bushie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 16 Feb 2017, 5:47 am

Bushie wrote:If I picked up a hand loaded, theoretically, could I do everything I need to do to reload on that, plus a primer feeder?

You would also need dies and shell holder of course for each caliber.
But yes, you could load ammo using Lee-style powder dippers, one of which comes with their die sets.
I don't know of a primer feeder that would fit the hand press but I avoid primer feed systems anyway.
Try one of the stand-alone hand held priming tools if you prefer not to load primers manually.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Next

Return to Reloading ammunition