Tikka T3x .308 reloading

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Tikka T3x .308 reloading

Post by CrypticVanguard » 23 Feb 2017, 12:34 am

Hey, guys.

Just bought a brand new Tikka T3x Varmint chambered in .308, and was wondering if I could have some pointers as to precision handloads.

I have a box of 165gr Sierra Game Kings, and AR2208 powder.

Any input or advice would be great.

Thanks,
Cryptic.
CrypticVanguard
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Tikka T3x .308 reloading

Post by Mick280 » 23 Feb 2017, 11:23 am

G'Day Mate!!
What do you want to know specifically?
Mick.
Not enough Lever Gunsll
Mick280
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 23 Feb 2017, 11:43 am

How precise do you want to be? What tools do you have? Precision comes in increments of diminishing returns with each increments cost rising exponentially. At a minimum you'll need a good set of precision scales, bullet comparator and micrometre seating die. This gets you to a consistent state of charge and OAL only, next comes multiple levels of case prep followed by bullet prep with quality testing of each load.

Maybe if you can let us know what you're trying to achieve so any advice can be better tailored to your needs.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by CrypticVanguard » 23 Feb 2017, 3:10 pm

Hey, guys. Thanks for the quick replies!

I've just got the basic Lee Reloading Kit and digital scales. Looking for accurate loads to test out from other's recommendations. I've heard 45.5gr of AR2208 works well with the 165gn SGK pill. Just looking for advice, really.

Thanks,
Cryptic.
CrypticVanguard
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 23 Feb 2017, 3:15 pm

CrypticVanguard wrote:Hey, guys. Thanks for the quick replies!

I've just got the basic Lee Reloading Kit and digital scales. Looking for accurate loads to test out from other's recommendations. I've heard 45.5gr of AR2208 works well with the 165gn SGK pill. Just looking for advice, really.

Thanks,
Cryptic.

Have you reloaded before or is this your first time?

Generally it's a good idea to start near the min recommended for the projectile and powder combo and work up in say .3gn increments keeping an eye out for pressure signs (look that up to get an idea if you don't know) also a good idea to get yourself a reloading manual if you are starting out as it has plenty of advice and tips etc plus load data so you can do it safely.

Anyway let us know where you are at with the reloading ie beginner or have a good understanding and we can help you from there. :drinks:
Last edited by bigfellascott on 23 Feb 2017, 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by CrypticVanguard » 23 Feb 2017, 3:17 pm

I've reloaded for .223Rem before, but this would be my first time Reloading for .308Win.
CrypticVanguard
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by CrypticVanguard » 23 Feb 2017, 3:23 pm

I have about 5 different handloading guides, the latest being the ADI Reloaders Guide 2016 Edition. I would really just like to keep the least rounds as possible used to find the perfect gn ratio as money is tight at the moment.
CrypticVanguard
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 23 Feb 2017, 3:25 pm

CrypticVanguard wrote:I've reloaded for .223Rem before, but this would be my first time Reloading for .308Win.

Cheers mate, no diff reloading wise, is that load near max or not? I'd say start under it say a Gn and just go up in .3gn increments keeping any eye out for pressure signs and see what sort of groups you get from it, sooner or later you will find a load it likes.

What's the rifle going to be for hunting or Target work? As Brett said you can go full on with tuning the cases etc to get the best out of it or if it's for hunting basic handloads will do.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 23 Feb 2017, 3:33 pm

CrypticVanguard wrote:I have about 5 different handloading guides, the latest being the ADI Reloaders Guide 2016 Edition. I would really just like to keep the least rounds as possible used to find the perfect gn ratio as money is tight at the moment.

Roger that, so where does that load you like sit in relation to max load recommended?
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by WaltzingMatilda » 23 Feb 2017, 10:34 pm

Cryptic,
Can you give some more info re barrel length and twist rate.
Also, is this just for hunting (in which case - what) or for range use?
Cheers
Walt
WaltzingMatilda
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by in2anity » 25 Feb 2017, 8:45 am

Each gun has slightly different harmonics due to changes in metallurgy - so thinking that "a" single load will be the best based of someone else's findings won't necessarily give you the most accurate load for your rifle. Like the boys have said, you need to work your load up (from light) systematically and thoroughly with groups of reasonable sample size - personally I start with at least 10 shots per incremement, then narrow down and increase the sample sizes when I start to see positive trends. IMO a lot of shooters come to conclusions without the statistics to back it up - IMO you can't really judge a bullet simply based off a once-off 5-shot group. Unfortunately this doesn't lend itself well to conserving projectiles. I guess it all depends on what sort of accuracy you'll be happy with - are you hoping for moa or 0.5? - in terms of effort, time and money spent on equipment, there's a big difference between these two goals.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Wobble » 16 Mar 2017, 2:26 pm

in2anity wrote:IMO you can't really judge a bullet simply based off a once-off 5-shot group.

A pair of 5 shot groups is a good tell IMO.

3 seems to be a perceived magic number for a lot of people. With so few shots it's easy to fluke a good group, even pull a shot but have inaccurate ammo send it back in the right direction for a clover leaf.

I can't help but laugh/roll my eyes when people brag over an awesome 2 shot "group" they're waving a picture around of :lol:
Weatherby Vanguards in .300 Weatherby Magnum and .243 Winchester
Wobble
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Gwion » 16 Mar 2017, 2:33 pm

When i am confirming a load, be it rimfire or home loads for 223 or 7-08, i take an average of 3 consecutive 5 round groups and call that the load's standard accuracy.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by bigfellascott » 16 Mar 2017, 2:36 pm

Wobble wrote:A pair of 5 shot groups is a good tell IMO.

3 seems to be a perceived magic number for a lot of people. With so few shots it's easy to fluke a good group, even pull a shot but have inaccurate ammo send it back in the right direction for a clover leaf.

I can't help but laugh/roll my eyes when people brag over an awesome 2 shot "group" they're waving a picture around of :lol:

What if you do say half a doz 3 shot groups that were very consistent, would that not be a good indicator of how the rifle shoots with that particular load?

Normally I just shoot a 3 shot group to find something that shoots fine, then confirm it's ok by doing as I said above if the results are consistent I'm happy to roll with it (hunter here not a target shooter) so really the first shot is of more importance to me than say all bullets in the one hole type thing. :drinks:

I've even got ammo I haven't tested on paper to see how it groups, but have tested it on bunnies out to 270m or so and have been able to remove heads of them with it at that distance so figured it must shoot good enough for my needs (had to knock up some loads in a hurry and didn't worry about testing them due to needing to be out hunting instead of shooting paper so figured I'd soon find out how they shoot and still haven't bothered testing them on paper to this day and honestly have no intentions of doing so as they shoot fine the way they are. :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Wobble » 16 Mar 2017, 3:39 pm

Of course, several 3 shots groups will show a pattern.

A single 3 shot group won't show you anything useful was my point.
Weatherby Vanguards in .300 Weatherby Magnum and .243 Winchester
Wobble
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by in2anity » 17 Mar 2017, 6:57 pm

Wobble wrote:A pair of 5 shot groups is a good tell IMO.

Yes agreed - you can get a really good idea of the accuracy curve with pairs of 5. It's a slow process with a sporter barrel though (due to heat issues). Hence why I'm a big fan of heavy barrel rifles - short and stiff is fine if you want to shed some weight. Once you can see the accurate part of the curve you can hone in on a more granular level. That said, accuracy isn't everybody's thing - you don't need sub moa to put meat in the freezer. Many shooters are happy coming to accuracy conclusions a lot faster, so long as it's good enough for the distances they work within. Whatever floats your boat...
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 17 Mar 2017, 7:02 pm

Massively off-topic question- but do you shoot at ANZAC in Sydney big fella? You so remind me of a bloke who tests loads there sometimes...
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 17 Mar 2017, 7:07 pm

No mate, I live in the bush so don't real have much of a need to visit ranges. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Stager shooter » 12 Apr 2017, 10:29 am

Hi there, don't muck around. To achieve hole in hole at 100m start with 165g SST with 46g of 2209 powder. You will need to seat your bullets out to overall length 72mm. These projectiles are priced well. To go hunting close range I change to 165 Nosler accubonds. They shoot the same. I have used 4 different rifles to prove this load.
Stager shooter
Recruit
Recruit

New Zealand

Return to Reloading ammunition