Complete newcomer to reloading

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Complete newcomer to reloading

Post by Deacon » 09 Mar 2017, 11:33 am

Hey fellas
The volume of shooting I'm doing has picked up pretty significantly of the last 5 months and reloading is beginning to look pretty dang appealing to my wallet. As a complete novice, could anyone point me in the right direction for a basic reloading set up? I'll be reloading mainly .223 and 30-30 with the possibility of a .308/30-06/.303 in the near future if that makes much of a difference.

Thanks
Deac
Deacon
Private
Private

Australian Capital Territory

Re: Complete newcomer to reloading

Post by Noisydad » 09 Mar 2017, 11:42 am

Welcome to the fever! Any of the well known brands will get you going and be reliable. Perhaps if dollars are an issue get cheaper kit such as Lee' s offerings and spend a bit more on quality scales. Powder throwers are nice but not really necessary so just start with a press and the dies you need rather than a whole kit.
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 09 Mar 2017, 6:31 pm

How many times has this question been asked.

The Lee anniversary or the challenger kit both are great value at about $250. Do the job for most hunters.

leeprecision.com/50th-anniversary-breech-lock-challenger-kit.html

westernfirearms.com.au/reloading-supplies-c-51.html
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gamerancher » 10 Mar 2017, 7:11 am

Yeah, that's always my advice to a newbie. Add dies to suit, your components, a good reloading manual and you're good to go.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Deacon » 10 Mar 2017, 4:36 pm

What about those little lee loaders? Not the press just the little die kit thing. Anyone used one of them? The price is definitely right :lol:
Deacon
Private
Private

Post by Supaduke » 10 Mar 2017, 4:40 pm

They are good for loading a few rounds in the field , not much chop for any sort of bulk loading.

Get yourself a lee anniversary kit. Everything you need for a newbie to get started. Decent quality , makes good ammo and not too expensive.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Nick-J » 10 Mar 2017, 4:48 pm

I can second the Anniversary Kit. Only thing that gave me the absolute sh*ts was the scales which I replaced with a digital hornandy set today ($70).
Nick-J
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by yoshie » 10 Mar 2017, 7:27 pm

I started with the anniversary kit, i added an auto disk powder measure which charges the case through the expander die and electronic scales but a good set of beams wont run out of batteties. I loaded many thousands 357s with it. I made up a few boards with a coulple of hundred holed drilled not quite all the way through. then later i upgraded to a 4 hole turret and retired my single stage then got a load master which can be a pain to use some times. Now i use all 3, load master for 44 mag, 357 and 9mm. Turret for 22 hornet, 223, 30-06, 444 and 9.3x62. I use the single for 6.5x284 and will use it when i start casting to size and gas check. If i were you i'd start with a simple kit and add to it. Lee is reasonably priced and i cant fault their stuff (except the stupid primer thing on the load master).

If you were interested in any pistol cals as well as the rifle cals yoy mentioned, I'd suggest the lee turret kit on fleeBay for about $290 all you'll need is a rifle charging die and maybe the roller handle.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by sandgroperbill » 12 Mar 2017, 12:38 pm

Spend a little more out of the gate and get a lee turret kit. Still has e erything you need, and is easier to change calibers if you'll be reloading for several different calibers (as I do), and is also a little faster for larger quantities. Not as fast as progressive, but gets the job done
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Gamerancher » 12 Mar 2017, 1:14 pm

To quote the original poster, " could anyone point me in the right direction for a basic reloading set up?" :unknown:

Basic kit would consist of:
Single stage press
Priming tool ( for large and small primers )
Case deburring tool
Primer pocket cleaner
Scales
Bugger me if that 'aint what you get with the Lee Challenger Kit. But wait, there's more!!!
You also get:
Powder thrower
Shell holder kit for priming tool
Powder funnel
Case lube
All for the one low price of around $250 :sarcasm:

Yes, there are better set-ups. Yes, progressives are better for high volume...... The bloke was asking about a simple, cheap, start-off kit. :allegedly:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by sandgroperbill » 12 Mar 2017, 5:37 pm

I don't recall anyone telling him to go get a progressive.
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by tom604 » 12 Mar 2017, 5:42 pm

get a progressive :lol: i went the hornady way,the lock n load for different calibers just makes things so easy :thumbsup:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 12 Mar 2017, 7:41 pm

http://leeprecision.com/lee-loader-308-win.html
This is the cheapest option but only neck sizes and scoop for powder. But will load respectable ammo if used correctly.
I started with one of these then progressed to a good press etc. Most do.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by wanneroo » 18 Mar 2017, 12:29 pm

As I have found reloading, the more you want to automate tasks, the more you will spend.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the regular single stage presses out there from the usual manufacturers.

With Lee stuff I find some of it is passable to use and some is great. If I was going to buy a turret press I'd get the Redding T-7 but that costs more than the Lee. I used the Lee powder measure for a while and it's OK but I'm much happier with the RCBS quick change powder measure.

You can buy a "kit" put together by a manufacturer but I ended up buying everything individually. Also too you will end up spending more than you think as you upgrade or decide a piece of gear doesn't work for you. Once you get it all figured out, the gear lasts for years.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by AusTac » 18 Mar 2017, 12:37 pm

I use the little lee loader hammer kit for 303 british, makes some good ammo, for banging off, a little down and dirty but it does the trici for me, i load maybe 20-40 at a time, 2 boxes at a time is about my limit, gets real old real quick over that amount
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Return to Reloading ammunition