A few projectiles a little loose in neck of cartridge

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

A few projectiles a little loose in neck of cartridge

Post by Seik » 18 Jul 2013, 11:00 am

Hi all,

I've recently started reloading with a hand-me-down reloading kit.

For the most part it's all fine, but I notice a few projectiles are the tiniest bit loose in the next of the brass. With a modest amount of grip I can turn them slightly and reckon I could wiggle them out if I tried hard enough.

Any problems with shooting these, or would I be better to start again?

I guess one of the dies is the problem? they was rolling round in a chest of tools and odds and ends for god knows how long before I got it, so maybe one copped a ding somewhere along the way...

Thanks
Last edited by Seik on 19 Jul 2013, 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Seik
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: A few projectiles a little loose in neck of cartridge

Post by Brute » 19 Jul 2013, 9:56 am

They shouldn't be lose at all mate.

I wouldn't shoot them. Try a mates reloading die if you can, otherwise a new set (seating and shaping) die is about $70.
The Hammer of Dawn
Brute
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Bourt » 19 Jul 2013, 12:10 pm

Seik wrote:I guess one of the dies is the problem? they was rolling round in a chest of tools and odds and ends for god knows how long before I got it, so maybe one copped a ding somewhere along the way...

The seating die just pushes the pill in, so if anything it will be the sizing die. I've used RCBS dies with no problem.

Bullets are always rock solid in the cases.
Last edited by Bourt on 12 Aug 2013, 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bourt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Aster » 19 Jul 2013, 5:00 pm

How many times has your brass be fired? If they've been used, resized and trimmed a lot that could be the issue, but you'd be talking about a lot of reloading. As you say you've only recently started hand loading I assume you're brass probably isn't more than maybe 2 or 3 times fired? If that's the case your brass shouldn't be the problem.

A bad sizing die could't definitely be the culprit. As above, take some of you brass to a friends press if possible, otherwise it might be time to pony up for a new pair of dies.

In any case it would best to redo the problem cartridges. At best, some movement in the pills will make uneven seating depths and cartridge lengths which will affect your accuracy.

At worst, when chambering a round if the pill were to be push back into the case so it was not sealed, you could have a serious failure when firing. Lose pills and powder rattling around is a recipe for injury.
See you on the firing line.
Aster

-

Post by lole » 22 Jul 2013, 2:58 pm

Safety first friend.

Might be all good now while your acutely aware of the issue and judge some as 'tight enough', but in time you could forget about a loose one, it could get a bump or two and worsen the problem, and you fire it without remembering resulting in an accident.

Reload the problem ones, if nothing else it's just more experience for you.
lole
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Aster » 22 Jul 2013, 3:51 pm

lole wrote:Safety first friend.

That's it.

There is a sailing expression which goes "If in doubt, don't".

Good motto to shoot by as well.
See you on the firing line.
Aster

-

Return to Reloading ammunition