Lee Classic press problem

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Lee Classic press problem

Post by Dean » 20 Mar 2017, 5:57 pm

Gents, Im new to the reloading game and have set up a Lee Classic Four Turret Press. On top of it I have a Lee Pro Auto Disk powder measure. But being a mathamatical pigmy I cant work out wich measure disks to use as they are in CCs not grains. Im wishing to load useing 45.5 grains of ADI 2208 powder pushing 155gr Optimus HBC (P) pills. Can any bugger help a brother out with wich diks to use to throw 45.5 grs please?
Dean
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Lee Classic press problem

Post by yoshie » 20 Mar 2017, 9:25 pm

I sat down and measured each hole out for each powder, I've got lists for AP50n, AP70n trailboss, AR2205 and VVn310. But since the largest hole only throws 20.6 g of 2205 you might need the double disk kit or a adjustable charge bar
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by TheDude » 20 Mar 2017, 9:26 pm

Would highly recommend getting a set of scales to verify your charge before shooting them. From what I can see varget which is listed as equivalent to 2208 has a volume measure density VDM 0.07310. http://leeprecision.com/cgi-data/instruct/VMD.pdf

Cc = grains x vdm. That would put you charge at 3.326

According to http://www.tannersbrass.com/images/lee- ... %20001.jpg you're off the scale of what the powder disks can drop. I really would recommend getting some scales and dropping from them, for rifle ammo you will get a much more consistent result.
TheDude
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Gamerancher » 20 Mar 2017, 11:04 pm

This is why I always recommend that first time reloaders buy a single stage press. Anyway, you need to buy the double disk kit and work out using a set of scales which setup will yield the weight you are looking for. I'll have a look at it tomorrow and see if I can get the results you want.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Cryptic » 20 Mar 2017, 11:52 pm

*EDIT*
There is a pamphlet in the auto disk box has all the measurements on them in both grain and CC. Mine had it and if not can download it too from lee.

I see what you mean. Going by the charge 45.5x.0725vmd for 2208 comes up 3.29825 CC the highest value on chart is 3.14 using 2 1.57 disks. May not go higher.
Cryptic
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Cryptic » 21 Mar 2017, 12:11 am

TheDude wrote:Would highly recommend getting a set of scales to verify your charge before shooting them. From what I can see varget which is listed as equivalent to 2208 has a volume measure density VDM 0.07310. http://leeprecision.com/cgi-data/instruct/VMD.pdf

Cc = grains x vdm. That would put you charge at 3.326

According to http://www.tannersbrass.com/images/lee- ... %20001.jpg you're off the scale of what the powder disks can drop. I really would recommend getting some scales and dropping from them, for rifle ammo you will get a much more consistent result.

On the Lee sheets Mulwex is ADI found that out just recently.
Cryptic
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by duncan61 » 21 Mar 2017, 2:05 am

I know nothing about this powder thrower but for .243 and 7 mm I weigh each charge on the scales for every round and only trust the powder thrower on .222 and smaller.It sounds like you are loading for .284 or something similar.Weigh each charge and funnel it in
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by No1Mk3 » 21 Mar 2017, 5:40 am

G'day Dean,
As Cryptic wrote, you can't exceed 43.3g of 2208 even with the double disk, as 2x .157 disks still only meter 3.14cc of powder. You will need to purchase a powder thrower such as the Lee Auto Drum, if you wish to keep case actuated operation, for rifle loading. I use a manual operated RCBS Uniflow on my turret with good results, and Hornady Lock n Load case activated measure on my progressives. If cost is a real factor at the moment, you could ream the disks of a double disk kit to 13.5mm, which should throw about 45g of 2208, then linish the holes carefully, using a powder scale ( an absolutely necessary item for reloading) to check charge weights, until you reach 45.5g, but MARK the disks with the new size! Best bet is just buy the proper thrower, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Wylie27 » 21 Mar 2017, 5:53 am

You got a smart phone? Get an app called Reloader VMD.. it will do the calculations for you based on your powder choice and tell you which hole to use.

Of course weigh afterwards..
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by superdave » 21 Mar 2017, 6:23 am

I have a lee classic turret setup same as described, and also had a "Duh........how do I work out which disk and setting to use....?" moment exactly like Dean.

All things considered, it's probably safer and more consistent to use a different measure system altogether, as 2208 doesnt seem to meter very well. I have gotten around the problem by using a Lyman gen 6 powder measure which pours and weighs powder automatically. Much faster and easier.
superdave
Recruit
Recruit

New Zealand

Post by Dean » 21 Mar 2017, 7:20 am

Cheers boys I have taken all info on board.
Dean
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Gamerancher » 21 Mar 2017, 12:58 pm

G'day Dean, went out and tried the double disks for you. As someone worked out above, in practice all I could get out of the doubled 1.57 holes ( largest in the set ) is 43grains of powder. If your load is for a 308 win, that's gunna get you around 2600+f/s. Any reason why you want the higher load?
Getting consistent powder charging with the Lee thrower requires smooth consistent operation of the press. Any slamming of the handle or a "sticky" case will cause a change in powder throw. Loading accurate ammo requires keeping variabilities to an absolute minimum.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Return to Reloading ammunition