Brass in mail

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Brass in mail

Post by Cryptic » 24 Mar 2017, 5:36 pm

Just spotted this amongst a reloading group.
Guy mentioned his GF's dad runs a post office and passed it along to him and reasons given are that there is a small chance of residual gunpowder being in the case.

Apparently a recent update and couple of guys in the group who mail out brass have had their local inform them of it.
Guess it will be post by luck now.

17492754_10155029769939566_6828377533262884873_o.jpg
17492754_10155029769939566_6828377533262884873_o.jpg (122.82 KiB) Viewed 7642 times
Cryptic
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Re: Brass in mail

Post by bladeracer » 24 Mar 2017, 5:47 pm

Cryptic wrote:Just spotted this amongst a reloading group.
Guy mentioned his GF's dad runs a post office and passed it along to him and reasons given are that there is a small chance of residual gunpowder being in the case.

Apparently a recent update and couple of guys in the group who mail out brass have had their local inform them of it.
Guess it will be post by luck now.

17492754_10155029769939566_6828377533262884873_o.jpg

Where did it come from?
Which country refers to cartridge cases as "bullet shells"?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Cryptic » 24 Mar 2017, 6:01 pm

Im following the thread on Australian reloading talk and trade group. Few people are asking their locals about it.
Cryptic
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Cryptic » 24 Mar 2017, 6:09 pm

People here would probably know Bruce Bertram brass. He is on the thread mentioning it was apparently a notification from today.
Cryptic
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Apollo » 24 Mar 2017, 7:19 pm

That reads and sounds like something that has been taken from some Airmail International service.

A copy or link to the whole document, not just a certain part of a page would be more appropriate.

Note ... "in domestic mail to be returned to the sender" .... !!!!

So, they will return (post) it back to the sender...
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Cryptic » 24 Mar 2017, 7:25 pm

Apollo wrote:That reads and sounds like something that has been taken from some Airmail International service.

A copy or link to the whole document, not just a certain part of a page would be more appropriate.

Note ... "in domestic mail to be returned to the sender" .... !!!!

So, they will return (post) it back to the sender...

Was sus on it myself so just following till more circumstantial evidence is available. So far a few people on the thread have mentioned they contacted local and Have been told it is happening and Bruce Bertram is apparently pissed about it and replied on a few comments there.
Would not put it past them though.
Cryptic
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Apollo » 24 Mar 2017, 8:32 pm

Not on topic but a "firearms part" is and has for some time been according to Australia Post been restricted from airmail postage, to be sent sea mail only. Funny about that having done exactly that, sending a rifle bolt by airmail to the USA for repair only a few months ago. Yes, with all the correct export and import permits plus declaired to Aus Post and it still went through. Funny thing is that the same restrictions don't apply for stuff that is sent from the USA to Australia and goes through Aus Post at some stage.

Bruce Bertram isn't really anyone special and I haven't ever had anything to do with him but there are dozens of Aussie Business people that post "Brass".. A lot more known than Bruce so it will be interesting to see what goes on further.

International Airmail Postage, yes I can see it may even have been for years that story. Even domestic airmail...

As I said, not enough information from just the little snip of a page.....

Where ever the photo came from, get them to provide the whole article would be handy.

Anyway, life goes on regardless.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Cryptic » 24 Mar 2017, 8:52 pm

Never dealt with Bruce either I only mentioned him as he popped up on the post saying that he found this out today. If one supplier has been told maybe see if others have heard word today too.
Was only bringing it up see if people had heard about it as apparently has been doing the rounds today on a number of shooters groups.
I get my brass at the range or gunshop so doesnt worry me but felt it might be worthwhile to mention it for others to ask around if this is legit and of concern to them or not.
Cryptic
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Gamerancher » 24 Mar 2017, 9:07 pm

Looks like an internal memo from HSBC not Australia Post. I assume it would be in regard to their own internal mail system that all banks have.
Never had problems getting brass through the post, domestic or international ( with appropriate import paperwork )
I have also imported numerous firearms that have come into the country via air-mail.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Cryptic » 25 Mar 2017, 5:55 pm

Just spotted this on Australia post facebook page.
Either Auspost responder has no idea of their policies or they haven't updated as nothing has changed to what was already there and it has been fine.

auspost.jpg
auspost.jpg (148.35 KiB) Viewed 7516 times
Cryptic
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 25 Mar 2017, 6:20 pm

Cryptic wrote:Just spotted this on Australia post facebook page.
Either Auspost responder has no idea of their policies or they haven't updated as nothing has changed to what was already there and it has been fine.

auspost.jpg

Can't find it. Do you have a link or at least a date of when the discussion occurred?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Cryptic » 25 Mar 2017, 6:59 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Cryptic wrote:Just spotted this on Australia post facebook page.

auspost.jpg

Can't find it. Do you have a link or at least a date of when the discussion occurred?

Friday 24th march 21:23hrs

https://www.facebook.com/australiapost/posts/10154585067310667
Cryptic
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 25 Mar 2017, 7:27 pm

Just complete Wankers.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 25 Mar 2017, 7:28 pm

Thanks for that.

I can't see it being a problem as they would first need to somehow become aware of the contents of the package. And then they would need to show you something that prohibits it being posted. The first document is clearly not an official document, it looks like simply an internal memo to staff advising them that empty brass is ammunition, and ammunition is prohibited - their statement including brass as ammunition does not agree with their own provisions which specifically prohibit ammunition as "Explosives".
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Apollo » 25 Mar 2017, 7:35 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Just complete Wankers.

I bet Aus Post would freak out if they knew about the quantity of Smokeless Powder and Ammunition they have handled and delivered that's in plain white padded bags from a certain NSW Gunshop.

How do I know.....Maybe I took delivery of a few quantities as well as a local GS got a delivery.....

Burnt powder dangerous goods eh...!! :shock:
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Cryptic » 25 Mar 2017, 7:49 pm

Bladeracer the 1st pic was indeed an internal memo according to the person that posted it and a few others have said they knew people in a post shop that viewed it or asked their locals so will see how legit and noteworthy it is.
There are a number of people demanding clarification so hopefully its just a semi screw up.

I recall years ago a similar thing when word was put around about the ban on import of thumbstud knives coming in and everyone called BS on it too.
It actually became official as customs had their own means testing of 1 hand operation. Knives then came with stud removed and separate in a bag with an allen key to adjust tension to loosen the blade :lol: :lol: Great loophole.
They woke up and removed that stupid rule in 2015 reallowing stud back in thankfully.

I will keep updating with what I find of interest on here or any releases from Auspost clarifying it fully.
Cryptic
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 25 Mar 2017, 9:56 pm

I wanna know how new unused brass can have traces of unburnt powder in em. :D and why do they send empty cases back via the Mail system, aren't they dangerous if we send them but apparently they are safe when they send em via mail :lol: what a bunch of f***ing knob jockey's we have in this country!
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Cryptic » 25 Mar 2017, 11:09 pm

People giving them hell on FB and they keep changing their stories to what they posted earlier.

auspost2.jpg
auspost2.jpg (140.17 KiB) Viewed 7477 times

Auspost4.jpg
Auspost4.jpg (129.05 KiB) Viewed 7477 times

auspost3.png
auspost3.png (161.89 KiB) Viewed 7477 times
Cryptic
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Cryptic » 25 Mar 2017, 11:16 pm

Auspost are now replying with simply that they are looking into this further lol.
Guess they realised they need to actually look into it and get everyone on the same level.
Cryptic
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Gamerancher » 26 Mar 2017, 9:15 am

This is a classic example of how "Facewad" and "Twitt-brain" starts the stream of "Fake-news". Something is posted by some-one which is totally out of context, devoid of scrutiny, without reference and is taken up by the masses and soon becomes "fact". Whoever started this sh*t must be pissing themselves laughing at all the commotion it has now generated.
"Heard any good rumors lately, no, want to start one?"
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 27 Mar 2017, 6:23 am

Gamerancher wrote:This is a classic example of how "Facewad" and "Twitt-brain" starts the stream of "Fake-news". Something is posted by some-one which is totally out of context, devoid of scrutiny, without reference and is taken up by the masses and soon becomes "fact". Whoever started this sh*t must be pissing themselves laughing at all the commotion it has now generated.
"Heard any good rumors lately, no, want to start one?"

That sounds sensible.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 27 Mar 2017, 9:08 am

There are plenty of stores still sending reloading stuff by mail.Has anyone not received their order.Could this be an attempt to stop LAFO making ammo for calibres not on there lic.All my firearms are common chambering but some exotic stuff you have to order
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 12 Apr 2017, 12:50 pm

bentaz wrote:Anyone heard anymore about this?
I don't do facebook because its so rife with bullsh!t, was this just some more of it?

I don't do it either. I think you right.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 12 Apr 2017, 3:00 pm

The original FB post has been deleted, after few people called out the original person who has posted this crap. What he did is post a partial photo of a memo. When asked for more and context the story started to fall apart. Then it just sat there with more of the same. He refused to post more, only saying he's a proprietor of a post office. True or not -
unknown. So it went nowhere, actual request for info from AusPost went unanswered and so the post got deleted.

The photo of the memo used wrong terminology. The words were there but the order was all wrong. And few people picked that up, casting doubt on authenticity or integrity of the document.

Fake news for those who haven't seen the original thread on Facebook and propagated their own hysteria. If you've read the original post, it was a pretty clear troll, at least until there's more evidence to the contrary.

Been sending brass and receiving brass. No problem. Also, I don't understand how a it could be determined to have brass... Packages are generally closed and wrapped before they are handed over the counter for domestic shipping. None of that made sense.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 12 Apr 2017, 3:07 pm

Even little things like, talking about domestic and international shipping of cases... Cases are prohibited items. Meaning that it will be federal police doing the investigation and customs doing the confiscation. Not local authorities. Or empty shotgun cartridges. They are not cartridges and the document is written well enough to not make that mistake. That entire document does not read like it is intended for AusPost. It could be an internal memo of some courier company, but doesn't read or pass the sniff test of AusPost.

Then again, AusPost smells pretty bad already, so I could be wrong.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Cryptic » 12 Apr 2017, 4:28 pm

Popped up again in a few threads there but Aust post hasnt bothered answering anyone back so no further clarification. People are still sending no problem yet others report their local has told them no.
Might just go into one of those areas they pick and choose what to grab like supplements some they will take and say not allowed but other times its fine.
Aust post have given me the s**ts with that before on supplements ordered overseas by trying tell me not allowed yet ordered em for years then they say oh ok must be something else we thought.
Cryptic
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by colinbentley » 16 Apr 2017, 3:08 pm

I've ordered new brass in the mail and received without a problem. But what about this. I regularly buy projectiles which are shipped in mail, again, nothing dangerous about them but recently tried two different companies in the USA both if whom said they could not ship projectiles. Pity.......they were cheap.
colinbentley
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 16 Apr 2017, 3:52 pm

colinbentley wrote:I've ordered new brass in the mail and received without a problem. But what about this. I regularly buy projectiles which are shipped in mail, again, nothing dangerous about them but recently tried two different companies in the USA both if whom said they could not ship projectiles. Pity.......they were cheap.

I think you need an import permit to buy bullets from outside Oz.
Get them through Brownells.com.au as they already have the permits in place.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by colinbentley » 16 Apr 2017, 3:58 pm

Ah but to me a bullet is brass, primer, powder and a projectile. What harm can a projectile do on its own ? It's lead and copper.
colinbentley
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 16 Apr 2017, 4:02 pm

https://www.border.gov.au/Busi/Impo/Proh/Firearms-and-weapons/ammunitions-magazines

"To import ammunition and components of ammunition into Australia, importers must obtain prior to importation, one of the following;

written certification from the police firearms or weapons registry in their state or territory
written permission to import from the Commonwealth Attorney-General's Department
written permission to import from the Minister for Immigration and Border Protection (large calibre ammunition only).
Ammunition for use with firearms, also known as rounds, bullets, and cartridges, is controlled under the Regulations. This includes ammunition for paintball markers, soft air (BB) pellets as well as ball or shot projectiles for muzzle-loading firearms.
Components of ammunition include projectiles, cartridge casings, whether new or spent, and primers designed or adapted for use in ammunition are also controlled under the Regulations. "
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Next

Return to Reloading ammunition