Brass in mail

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Re: Brass in mail

Post by Cryptic » 25 Mar 2017, 11:16 pm

Auspost are now replying with simply that they are looking into this further lol.
Guess they realised they need to actually look into it and get everyone on the same level.
Cryptic
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Gamerancher » 26 Mar 2017, 9:15 am

This is a classic example of how "Facewad" and "Twitt-brain" starts the stream of "Fake-news". Something is posted by some-one which is totally out of context, devoid of scrutiny, without reference and is taken up by the masses and soon becomes "fact". Whoever started this sh*t must be pissing themselves laughing at all the commotion it has now generated.
"Heard any good rumors lately, no, want to start one?"
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 27 Mar 2017, 6:23 am

Gamerancher wrote:This is a classic example of how "Facewad" and "Twitt-brain" starts the stream of "Fake-news". Something is posted by some-one which is totally out of context, devoid of scrutiny, without reference and is taken up by the masses and soon becomes "fact". Whoever started this sh*t must be pissing themselves laughing at all the commotion it has now generated.
"Heard any good rumors lately, no, want to start one?"

That sounds sensible.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 27 Mar 2017, 9:08 am

There are plenty of stores still sending reloading stuff by mail.Has anyone not received their order.Could this be an attempt to stop LAFO making ammo for calibres not on there lic.All my firearms are common chambering but some exotic stuff you have to order
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 12 Apr 2017, 12:50 pm

bentaz wrote:Anyone heard anymore about this?
I don't do facebook because its so rife with bullsh!t, was this just some more of it?

I don't do it either. I think you right.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 12 Apr 2017, 3:00 pm

The original FB post has been deleted, after few people called out the original person who has posted this crap. What he did is post a partial photo of a memo. When asked for more and context the story started to fall apart. Then it just sat there with more of the same. He refused to post more, only saying he's a proprietor of a post office. True or not -
unknown. So it went nowhere, actual request for info from AusPost went unanswered and so the post got deleted.

The photo of the memo used wrong terminology. The words were there but the order was all wrong. And few people picked that up, casting doubt on authenticity or integrity of the document.

Fake news for those who haven't seen the original thread on Facebook and propagated their own hysteria. If you've read the original post, it was a pretty clear troll, at least until there's more evidence to the contrary.

Been sending brass and receiving brass. No problem. Also, I don't understand how a it could be determined to have brass... Packages are generally closed and wrapped before they are handed over the counter for domestic shipping. None of that made sense.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 12 Apr 2017, 3:07 pm

Even little things like, talking about domestic and international shipping of cases... Cases are prohibited items. Meaning that it will be federal police doing the investigation and customs doing the confiscation. Not local authorities. Or empty shotgun cartridges. They are not cartridges and the document is written well enough to not make that mistake. That entire document does not read like it is intended for AusPost. It could be an internal memo of some courier company, but doesn't read or pass the sniff test of AusPost.

Then again, AusPost smells pretty bad already, so I could be wrong.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Cryptic » 12 Apr 2017, 4:28 pm

Popped up again in a few threads there but Aust post hasnt bothered answering anyone back so no further clarification. People are still sending no problem yet others report their local has told them no.
Might just go into one of those areas they pick and choose what to grab like supplements some they will take and say not allowed but other times its fine.
Aust post have given me the s**ts with that before on supplements ordered overseas by trying tell me not allowed yet ordered em for years then they say oh ok must be something else we thought.
Cryptic
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by colinbentley » 16 Apr 2017, 3:08 pm

I've ordered new brass in the mail and received without a problem. But what about this. I regularly buy projectiles which are shipped in mail, again, nothing dangerous about them but recently tried two different companies in the USA both if whom said they could not ship projectiles. Pity.......they were cheap.
colinbentley
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 16 Apr 2017, 3:52 pm

colinbentley wrote:I've ordered new brass in the mail and received without a problem. But what about this. I regularly buy projectiles which are shipped in mail, again, nothing dangerous about them but recently tried two different companies in the USA both if whom said they could not ship projectiles. Pity.......they were cheap.

I think you need an import permit to buy bullets from outside Oz.
Get them through Brownells.com.au as they already have the permits in place.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by colinbentley » 16 Apr 2017, 3:58 pm

Ah but to me a bullet is brass, primer, powder and a projectile. What harm can a projectile do on its own ? It's lead and copper.
colinbentley
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 16 Apr 2017, 4:02 pm

https://www.border.gov.au/Busi/Impo/Proh/Firearms-and-weapons/ammunitions-magazines

"To import ammunition and components of ammunition into Australia, importers must obtain prior to importation, one of the following;

written certification from the police firearms or weapons registry in their state or territory
written permission to import from the Commonwealth Attorney-General's Department
written permission to import from the Minister for Immigration and Border Protection (large calibre ammunition only).
Ammunition for use with firearms, also known as rounds, bullets, and cartridges, is controlled under the Regulations. This includes ammunition for paintball markers, soft air (BB) pellets as well as ball or shot projectiles for muzzle-loading firearms.
Components of ammunition include projectiles, cartridge casings, whether new or spent, and primers designed or adapted for use in ammunition are also controlled under the Regulations. "
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 16 Apr 2017, 4:11 pm

colinbentley wrote:Ah but to me a bullet is brass, primer, powder and a projectile. What harm can a projectile do on its own ? It's lead and copper.

No, that would be a cartridge. The bullet is only the piece that hits the target. When you launch the bullet then it becomes a projectile.

I agree, a bullet, or even a cartridge, does no harm at all, but our firearms laws haven't made any sense since the late fifties.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 16 Apr 2017, 4:18 pm

colinbentley wrote:Ah but to me a bullet is brass, primer, powder and a projectile. What harm can a projectile do on its own ? It's lead and copper.

I just laughed out loud when I realised you started the whole grammar thread ;-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by colinbentley » 16 Apr 2017, 6:15 pm

Why is that?
colinbentley
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 16 Apr 2017, 9:19 pm

colinbentley wrote:Why is that?

Referring to cartridges as bullets just struck me as strange from somebody that is concerned about lack of language skills was all :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 16 Apr 2017, 10:58 pm

No. calling a cartridge a 'bullet' is what those f***ing idiots on the news, along with the GCA/AMF do...... unless you're taking the pi%% and winding old BOG up :lol: :lol:
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by colinbentley » 17 Apr 2017, 8:53 am

If it makes you feel better I'll say three hail Marys and ask the forgiveness of the gun God.
colinbentley
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 17 Apr 2017, 10:21 am

colinbentley wrote:If it makes you feel better I'll say three hail Marys and ask the forgiveness of the gun God.

That would be Johnny Moses, right?? :P
No worries Col...
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by bladeracer » 17 Apr 2017, 12:17 pm

colinbentley wrote:If it makes you feel better I'll say three hail Marys and ask the forgiveness of the gun God.

I wasn't having a go at you, I thought it might give you a giggle as well :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by colinbentley » 17 Apr 2017, 2:03 pm

I honestly did not appreciate the difference between "bullet" and "cartridge". I was wrong in my terminology and I won't make the same mistake again. I am happy for people to correct me if I use a word incorrectly.
colinbentley
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 18 Apr 2017, 12:22 am

---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria