Brass prep and storage

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Brass prep and storage

Post by juststarting » 26 Mar 2017, 11:31 pm

Hi All

Just a random thought I had today... Wondering what do people do with brass prep and priming it. For example, I tend to resize, trim, prime and store around 100 cases or so; or whatever I think I will shoot next time I go shooting.

What do you do for storage? Prep as needed, prep and prime, just prep - no prime....
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Re: Brass prep and storage

Post by duncan61 » 27 Mar 2017, 12:32 am

tumble clean resize case trim then store.I ream prime and use on the day I reload
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by AusTac » 27 Mar 2017, 5:20 am

I'll usually shoot it, store it, and then one day when i'm bored go through the whole process in one day, otherwise i forget where i'm up to or do things in the wrong order lol
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by bigfellascott » 27 Mar 2017, 5:58 am

AusTac wrote:I'll usually shoot it, store it, and then one day when i'm bored go through the whole process in one day, otherwise i forget where i'm up to or do things in the wrong order lol

That's pretty much how I do it too, just shoot em and when I'm ready to reload I resize em, prime em, reload em and shoot em.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by juststarting » 27 Mar 2017, 8:32 am

Thanks, guys. So the other question is, does it degrade anything if you store primed cases?
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Supaduke » 27 Mar 2017, 8:36 am

As long as the moisture is keep out it won't degrade in any short amount of time. Should be ok for years.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 27 Mar 2017, 8:51 am

I never store primed cases for any longer then a day or two because once primed they need to be stored the same as primers where as un-primed cases can be stored any way I need.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by duncan61 » 27 Mar 2017, 8:54 am

I would not store primed brass.Its 2 easy to do it all at once
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 27 Mar 2017, 9:05 am

brett1868 wrote:I never store primed cases for any longer then a day or two because once primed they need to be stored the same as primers where as un-primed cases can be stored any way I need.

My thoughts exactly, I'd rather just prime and charge etc when I need em, I don't see any advantage in priming them and then storing away.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by AusTac » 27 Mar 2017, 9:16 am

brett1868 wrote:I never store primed cases for any longer then a day or two because once primed they need to be stored the same as primers where as un-primed cases can be stored any way I need.

Yeah bit of a pain in the arse and kinda a waste of space if its not shootable ammo, thats the only reason i don't do it
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Gamerancher » 27 Mar 2017, 9:28 am

If you have the "secure" storage space available, and it's at the same conditions your primer storage, they will not degrade in any way that your primers sitting in their packet won't. I will quite often prepare and prime a batch of cases and just put them away for later. I always store them base up in the ammo boxes to keep any crap out. It is a real bonus when I have to load up for a competition to find 100 cases ready to go that I had forgotten about. As sometimes I'm reloading the night before I go away to a shoot, it sure shortens reloading time. :thumbsup:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Wylie27 » 27 Mar 2017, 9:59 am

Pistol shooter here, I prep andclean my brass and then throw them in Tupperware containers and they could sit there for weeks.

I use a progressive press so I deprime, prime and load all in the one action.

I have primed cases prior and then stored them in my ammo safe with my unused primers.
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by juststarting » 27 Mar 2017, 1:01 pm

Am I missing something? "Same as primer storage" - isn't it the same as ammo storage?
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 27 Mar 2017, 1:19 pm

juststarting wrote:Am I missing something? "Same as primer storage" - isn't it the same as ammo storage?

Yep but i take it he was referring to "same environmental conditions as your primer storage"; as in, if your primers stay good and your primed brass is stored in the same conditions all will be good.

Personally, i will prime a box of 50 or 100 at a time. Depending on time constraints i will either store them for later or just load them. If i have a lot of brass prep to do i will just prep and prime while watching a movie but if prep required is minimal i will resize, prime, load. I go over my brass with more detailed prep every 3-4 loadings.

Speaking of which, i have 50 7-08 prep'ed, primed and ready to load. I should do it while this weather is so crap because i will be hiking & fishing for the next two days and Thur/Fri will be too busy. 600yd shoot on Saturday. :thumbsup:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Gamerancher » 27 Mar 2017, 4:06 pm

Yep. you got it Gwion. Maybe I should of spelled it out more somehow? :unknown: Answering the question asked, i.e. "does it degrade?"
Also, I do all the reloading for all three shooters in the family and when getting ready for a multi-gun shoot, you tend to get sick of it. So it is common for me to clean and prep cases, including priming, when I have the time and put them away until getting ready for the next time. Each to his own. :thumbsup:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Apollo » 27 Mar 2017, 4:40 pm

juststarting wrote:Am I missing something? "Same as primer storage" - isn't it the same as ammo storage?

State Laws..!!

If you need to lockup your powder, primers and powder then the same story. If you prime cases with primers they need to be under lock and key.

It doesn't take that long to prime cases...

I'd rather have hundred's of empty cases laying around than lock them all up as if they are loaded rounds.

BTW... Primers are sealed... end of story. Try and kill one with water, oil or whatever then install it... It will fire. They have a protective coating on the primer material and hence why they are not supplied in sealed packages. Same difference, in their package or in a cartridge case they are sealed against contaminates....
Last edited by Apollo on 27 Mar 2017, 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by TheDude » 27 Mar 2017, 4:43 pm

I reload about a dozen different calibres and have a couple of hundred of each on the go at a time except the black powder cartridges. Once a 100 round batch is shot I deprime and wet tumble and store in the plastic ammo boxes in their batches.

When I low then I'll go through and anneal (every 5 reloads), size, trim and prime a batch. Another day I'll then go through and drop powder and pills in them.

Black powder I deprime and tumble all fired cases as soon as I get home from a shoot. 577 snider I anneal every time as well since the chamber in mine is so stuffed it really works the brass sizing them back round. 45/70 get a tumble. Cases don't get resized and projectiles are sized for a good friction fit and hand seated.
TheDude
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by juststarting » 27 Mar 2017, 5:53 pm

I try to keep 50 - 100 primed cases, at least, just sits with the rest of the ammo until I am ready to charge them. I just find it really convenient to be able to grab the cases and charge as I need them. I find taking my time on brass prep makes the process easier, knowing that I don't need to prime them later. Especially when loading lots of rounds or lots of types.... I don't know why people wouldn't keep some level of primed surplus, that way you can just focus on powder and seating. Each to his own I suppose. Good to hear what other people do.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 27 Mar 2017, 8:15 pm

I've got a heap of cleaned, sized and primed brass sitting in boxes ready to go.
I can't see a problem with it.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 27 Mar 2017, 8:42 pm

Clean as you go.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 28 Mar 2017, 11:24 am

Oldbloke wrote:Clean as you go.

Would you like fries with that?
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by superdave » 28 Mar 2017, 11:59 am

on_one_wheel wrote:I've got a heap of cleaned, sized and primed brass sitting in boxes ready to go.
I can't see a problem with it.

Yeah me too. To me getting rounds done to this point makes sense. In another loading system it might not. My reasoning is that provided you know what you're doing,and can pick up on faults easily, brass prep up to this point can be done without a high level of concentration.

My life has been characterised in the last few years by frequent interruptions, mental overload, and days where I just plain feel unwell and tired. So I have learned to break down the prep process into small steps that are easy and also include notes to my self in each container of brass as to exactly what has been done, ie whether brass has been sized, trimmed, run through a case gauge or not.

To me the stage where the brass has been cleaned/deprimed/sized/lube cleaned off/checked in case gauge and primed is the logical point to store it, as it means that it only remains to fill/seat/crimp/count and write up the load in my book for that caliber. this I save for days when I know my concentration is 100%.

As long as primed rounds are in an airtight container and stored away from heat, I don't forsee a problem. That said,I live in a cooler climate and am not aware of any rules that require primed cases to be locked away.
superdave
Recruit
Recruit

New Zealand

Post by fredhamish » 28 Mar 2017, 5:29 pm

I get back from shooting, put away gear, strip and clean firearms then sit down and reload it all for next time as i never know when i'll be able to head out for a few shots
1892 Winchester 44-40 (1906)
'94 Winchester 44-40 re-chambered in 44 rem mag (1974)
'94 Winchester 30-30 (1985)
Savage No:4 Mk 1* .303
Finnish M91
Model 70 Winchester .308
CMC Mounteneer .223
assorted .22s and .177s
fredhamish
Recruit
Recruit

Northern Territory

Post by wanneroo » 30 Mar 2017, 12:15 pm

I keep brass prep and loading a separate deal. I use clear plastic containers that peanuts and pretzels come in and use those to store primed brass.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Return to Reloading ammunition