Brass prep and storage

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Re: Brass prep and storage

Post by on_one_wheel » 27 Mar 2017, 8:15 pm

I've got a heap of cleaned, sized and primed brass sitting in boxes ready to go.
I can't see a problem with it.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 27 Mar 2017, 8:42 pm

Clean as you go.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 28 Mar 2017, 11:24 am

Oldbloke wrote:Clean as you go.

Would you like fries with that?
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by superdave » 28 Mar 2017, 11:59 am

on_one_wheel wrote:I've got a heap of cleaned, sized and primed brass sitting in boxes ready to go.
I can't see a problem with it.

Yeah me too. To me getting rounds done to this point makes sense. In another loading system it might not. My reasoning is that provided you know what you're doing,and can pick up on faults easily, brass prep up to this point can be done without a high level of concentration.

My life has been characterised in the last few years by frequent interruptions, mental overload, and days where I just plain feel unwell and tired. So I have learned to break down the prep process into small steps that are easy and also include notes to my self in each container of brass as to exactly what has been done, ie whether brass has been sized, trimmed, run through a case gauge or not.

To me the stage where the brass has been cleaned/deprimed/sized/lube cleaned off/checked in case gauge and primed is the logical point to store it, as it means that it only remains to fill/seat/crimp/count and write up the load in my book for that caliber. this I save for days when I know my concentration is 100%.

As long as primed rounds are in an airtight container and stored away from heat, I don't forsee a problem. That said,I live in a cooler climate and am not aware of any rules that require primed cases to be locked away.
superdave
Recruit
Recruit

New Zealand

Post by fredhamish » 28 Mar 2017, 5:29 pm

I get back from shooting, put away gear, strip and clean firearms then sit down and reload it all for next time as i never know when i'll be able to head out for a few shots
1892 Winchester 44-40 (1906)
'94 Winchester 44-40 re-chambered in 44 rem mag (1974)
'94 Winchester 30-30 (1985)
Savage No:4 Mk 1* .303
Finnish M91
Model 70 Winchester .308
CMC Mounteneer .223
assorted .22s and .177s
fredhamish
Recruit
Recruit

Northern Territory

Post by wanneroo » 30 Mar 2017, 12:15 pm

I keep brass prep and loading a separate deal. I use clear plastic containers that peanuts and pretzels come in and use those to store primed brass.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Return to Reloading ammunition