Help with Reload Data for Berry 124gr HBFP

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Help with Reload Data for Berry 124gr HBFP

Post by bapwr » 30 Mar 2017, 3:48 pm

Hi guys,
Ive accidentally purchased the wrong projectiles, i usually use berry 124gr hbrn projectiles but accidentally ordered HNFP. Ive never used these before, and cant find any data. Does anyone have any experience with these? All i can find is my OAL needs to be between 1.06 and 1.07.
The powders i have are ap50n, ap70n and n310.
These seat so deep i dont think i can put my normal powder charges. So any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks guys!
bapwr
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Help with Reload Data for Berry 124gr HBFP

Post by superdave » 31 Mar 2017, 8:50 am

bapwr A few suggestions:
1 Do some more research, find a powder that works with them and if available, buy it.
2 Sell them and get something else. (Probably your best simplest and safest bet)
3 Google" hodgdon powder equivalents"- your ap 50 and 70 powders are made in Australia for Hodgdon who then slap a different sticker on the bottle and sell it in the US as something else. Personally I am wary of taking data from something and transferring it across to another load, assumption is the mother of all screw ups.
4 Google your powders and see whether they are tolerant of being used as a "reduced load".( AR 2206H for example is known for this, it can be used with at least a 10% reduction) This may not work if you're dependent on a normal load to cycle a semi pistol.
superdave
Recruit
Recruit

New Zealand

Post by reloader762 » 02 Apr 2017, 9:02 pm

Being the bullet is thick plated it's rated to 1500 fps. jacketed bullet data can be used which more than you will need for the 9mm. The bullet is very similar in weight and profile to the Sierra 125 gr. HP which has a OAL of 1.075"

Ap50N is basically HP-38 / W231 same powder different can while Ap70N is equivalent to Universal or SR-7625.

http://www.adi-powders.com.au/handloade ... alents.asp

http://www.vihtavuori.com/en/reloading- ... luger.html

The ogive on the FN bullet will put it at a shorter OAL than your typical RN bullet of the same weight. You should be fine using the starting load with the powders you have on hand and working up. Not sure how ADI works but here in the states Hodgdon is always helpful on any load data question you may have.
https://discord.gg/Nafuzht
reloader762
Recruit
Recruit

United States of America

Post by Chickenhawk » 10 Apr 2017, 1:43 pm

You won't find data for every single bullet in every brand mate.

Just use ADI data or whoever makes your powder, and use data from the same kind of bullet and weight.

e.g. don't use hollow point boat tail data for round nose flat based bullets etc.

Pair it with another bullet that's closest.
Chickenhawk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Return to Reloading ammunition