Neck sizing dies

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Re: Neck sizing dies

Post by Gwion » 03 Apr 2017, 9:17 pm

I'd be concerned about the possibility of creating head space issues due to varying case lengths and neck lengths, etc..
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Apollo » 03 Apr 2017, 9:34 pm

Can't really answer one way or the other to be sure. Can't answer re the .303 neck sizer at all as I have never played with one.

However, as far as the .223 neck sizer for a .222 then possibly yes BUT in my view you had want to be careful setting up as the necks are different lengths as are the case main body length. One mistake and you will likely crush a neck into the case as probably well the case shoulder.

Now, Hornady did make a .22 Cal Neck Die, Part #046040 which is supposed to be a Universal Neck Die. Yes, I have one in front of me BUT I purchased it some years ago and used it a few times then never touched it again. Wasn't very impressed with the results.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by duncan61 » 03 Apr 2017, 11:25 pm

Absolutely never ever.The chance of altering the head space is to real.Trust me I have done it and my mate came back with a face full of brass pieces.Some rifles wont chamber reloads that fit my .222 Ruger because the throat is slightly tighter in their rifle and the cases have to be neck turned.I cycle every reload through the mag on all my centrefire rifles so I know I will have no trouble in the field.I know in theory you should be able to use the same die for .222/.223 but I will never do it again
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Supaduke » 04 Apr 2017, 6:38 am

I tried neck sizing a 7.62x54r with a .303 Brit neck die. It deformed the case. It can be done with a bit of modification but I will only use correct dies from this point forwards.

I have one of the Hornady .30 cal neck sizers too, never tried it on anything but .308w though.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by TheDude » 04 Apr 2017, 7:48 am

Supaduke wrote:I tried neck sizing a 7.62x54r with a .303 Brit neck die. It deformed the case. It can be done with a bit of modification but I will only use correct dies from this point forwards.

I have one of the Hornady .30 cal neck sizers too, never tried it on anything but .308w though.

I use a Lee 303 Brit collet die for my 7.62x54r without problems.
TheDude
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by straightshooter » 04 Apr 2017, 7:55 am

bentaz wrote:Firstly, I'm fairly new to reloading.
Can i use a .223 neck sizing die for any .22 cal cartrage?
Can i use it for my .222 and does the same hold true for other cal's, ie can i use a .303 neck sizer on my 7.7 Arisaka?

First thing is, the case you are trying to neck size has to fit inside the die you want to use and reach the neck portion without touching the shoulder or sides otherwise, if the case is any larger, you will be reforming the case instead.
If there is no support for the case due to a big difference in case dimensions and the neck reaches the die neck and the shoulder is in an annealed or softer state compared to the neck then you risk collapsing the case.
Been there done that.
This is something that is not too difficult to work out.
Look at internet advice but think for yourself.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Supaduke » 04 Apr 2017, 8:41 am

TheDude wrote:
Supaduke wrote:I tried neck sizing a 7.62x54r with a .303 Brit neck die. It deformed the case. It can be done with a bit of modification but I will only use correct dies from this point forwards.

I use a Lee 303 Brit collet die for my 7.62x54r without problems.

Mine isn't a collet die, may have to get one and try it
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 04 Apr 2017, 8:46 am

Neck dies are cheap, mate. Just buy one for the case you are loading.

As above, theoretically it is possible because the bullet diameter is the same between 222 and 223 but 223 neck is shorter and other dimensions are slightly different.
Probably well doable with 222 and 223 but too easy to screw up and bugger your head space, creating some major issues!!!

Lee dies are cheap.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by bigfellascott » 04 Apr 2017, 9:37 am

I think my mate used a collet die to do it but can't honestly remember now. Me I'd just prefer to buy the 3 die set to suit the cal and be done with it.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Return to Reloading ammunition