75,80gr proj from 22-250

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

75,80gr proj from 22-250

Post by Elvis0z » 14 Apr 2017, 9:21 am

Hey guys and gals
I have just had my 22-250 rebarreled 1:8 twist. I will be shooting 75,80gr projectiles. I have looked at the ADI book and they don't go over 70gr projectiles. Has anyone got any info on reloading for these weight projectiles. looked at a few fourms and 2209 seems to be used a lot or the equivalent there of. Not sure what starting weight in powder I would use.

Cheers
Elvis0z
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Re: 75,80gr proj from 22-250

Post by Member-Deleted » 12 May 2017, 10:18 pm

Hi Elvis Oz

I have been shooting 22-250 for many years one is a sako 1in14, and one originally was a 30-06 mauser werke that I re barreled
to 22-250,26" stainless barrel 1in 8 twist in 'ackley.'
I found in my rifle loads, only went up by a couple of grains from my standard sako
The lightest projectile I could use in my 1-8 was 60gr and the heaviest was a hornady 69gr anything past that would open up to 9"
at times and if you went lighter than 60gr some never made it to the target
The 69gr would give very good accuracy @ 1/2' to less andsplitting holes
There is a few people that I know can't get their 250's to handle anything over 69gr but that doesn't mean they won't in other rifles
I tested my 1-8 for 2 years on and off and found that ar2209 was best for the heavy projectiles and benchmark 2 for lighter ones in
my sako 1-14
I tried 80gr many times but could not get better than 5' clusters

Don't know if this info will help you in any way, but I was told the heaver bullets would shoot well only to find hundreds of dollars later
they wouldn't in my rifle
No doubt there would be rifles out there that do shoot them

Anyway best of luck wouldn't mind hearing how you get on

grandad bushy
Member-Deleted

Re: 75,80gr proj from 22-250

Post by Member-Deleted » 20 May 2017, 9:03 pm

ElvisOz

Mate i may have put you on a bum stear the 22-250 rifle i told you about with 1-8 twist rate is actually 1-12
this explains some of the problems i was having stabilising heavy bullets but i still have the issue of the lighter ones
after talking to a few people on this forum i decided to check the twist rate and found 1-12
Its pretty slopy workmanship when you get a tag on a rebarrel that is nowhere near what its supposed be

anyway rebarrelled it a fair while ago and the gunsmith is no longer with us so no good complaining just get up and start again

Sorry mate i thought i best let you know
Member-Deleted

Return to Reloading ammunition