Reloading Handbook

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Reloading Handbook

Post by Bushie » 21 Apr 2017, 6:24 am

Does anyone know where I would be able to pick up a good reloading handbook, I heard lymans are good but I can't find any in Aus and to get one from the us is about 70 bucks? Cheers guys!
12G > Anything else
Bushie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: Reloading Handbook

Post by Gwion » 21 Apr 2017, 6:41 am

You can download older editions of some reloading handbooks. Google "free pdf ..... reloading handbook" (insert name of ammo manufacturer). I got one from Speer with my reloading kit, ordered 'Nick Harvey' online and downloaded another two for free.
I found that having multiple references helped me understand processes and issues better.
I also use ADI's website for current load data.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by bladeracer » 21 Apr 2017, 7:09 am

Bushie wrote:Does anyone know where I would be able to pick up a good reloading handbook, I heard lymans are good but I can't find any in Aus and to get one from the us is about 70 bucks? Cheers guys!

Can you access my files here?
https://www.mediafire.com/#b51vkbyty5saw
If you can, grab Modern Reloading by Richard Lee.
There are probably a few others in there as well, I dump a lot of stuff in there.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by colinbentley » 21 Apr 2017, 8:16 am

When I returned to reloading after a layoff of 10 years I had quite literally forgotten what to do. I phoned the SSAA to see if the could recommend a reloading guide and they suggested "The ABC of Reloading - Edited by C. Rodney James" which cost $35. That combined with watching videos online will give you most of what you need. I'm still no expert, far from it, but I know now a lot more than I did 10 years ago.
colinbentley
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 21 Apr 2017, 8:49 am

Bushie, sooner than expected ay. ;)
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Cooper » 21 Apr 2017, 9:43 am

I have four different reloading manuals. Lee, Hornady, Harvey and Adi.

They all tell you something slightly different. I tend use the Hornady to most I only use Hornady bullets at the moment.
I found the the Richard Lee handbook the best read. I tend to refer to Nick Harvey for case trim lengths as they are mm not inches as per the Hornady.

If you weren't using Hornady bullets I would buy in order of preference
1.There is a new 10th edition Nick Harvey out now.
2.The Richard Lee I've seen for about $32
3.ADI $10
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 21 Apr 2017, 9:51 am

Bushie, if you want it for learning, Harvey is good. I haven't seen ABC of Reloading, but I heard good things about it.

If you want it to cross reference data and completenes, Hornady is very good. But most load reference data is now available online from bullet manufacturers' websites.

Also, YouTube. It's very understated here. YouTube is your friend. Anything you want to learn will be there.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 21 Apr 2017, 10:34 am

Just buy Nick Harveys latest one, it will have the latest Powders etc (the Yank one will have diff names for the ADI powders so you will have to find a cross reference for those if you go that way). :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by colinbentley » 21 Apr 2017, 11:12 am

Yes that is a problem with US publications, they don't have any reference guide for ADI powders. But once again simply go0 online and you will find a complete guide for ADI powders .
colinbentley
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 21 Apr 2017, 2:00 pm

juststarting wrote:Bushie, if you want it for learning, Harvey is good. I haven't seen ABC of Reloading, but I heard good things about it.

If you want it to cross reference data and completenes, Hornady is very good. But most load reference data is now available online from bullet manufacturers' websites.

Also, YouTube. It's very understated here. YouTube is your friend. Anything you want to learn will be there.

YouTube is your friend.... except when it's not. A lot of trash to wade through to find the treasure. If you know nothing about a subject you can be easily lead astray! USe YouZTube by all means but also use some critical thinking to assess the validity of what you are watching. :thumbsup: :drinks:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by juststarting » 21 Apr 2017, 2:23 pm

Absolutely. If you going to watch something on a subject, make sure to watch a few variations.... Like with anything in life, get a second opinion :)
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Bushie » 21 Apr 2017, 8:44 pm

juststarting wrote:Bushie, sooner than expected ay. ;)

HAHHAHAHA I just can't help myself!
12G > Anything else
Bushie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Bushie » 21 Apr 2017, 8:44 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Bushie wrote:Does anyone know where I would be able to pick up a good reloading handbook, I heard lymans are good but I can't find any in Aus and to get one from the us is about 70 bucks? Cheers guys!

Can you access my files here?
https://www.mediafire.com/#b51vkbyty5saw
If you can, grab Modern Reloading by Richard Lee.
There are probably a few others in there as well, I dump a lot of stuff in there.

Cheers mate I'll check it out tonight really appreciate it!!
12G > Anything else
Bushie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by pomemax » 21 Apr 2017, 10:11 pm

pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by juststarting » 21 Apr 2017, 10:18 pm

Bushie wrote:
juststarting wrote:Bushie, sooner than expected ay. ;)

HAHHAHAHA I just can't help myself!

Yeah. Told ya. Lol. Let me know if you want a walkthrough :)
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by colinbentley » 23 Apr 2017, 1:57 pm

I did suggest to the Victorian branch of the SSAA that they should consider compiling info for a book which they would endorse. Yes I know there are already many reloading books available, but with all the knowledge available via members this could become THE handbook on handloading.
colinbentley
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 23 Apr 2017, 3:00 pm

colinbentley wrote:I did suggest to the Victorian branch of the SSAA that they should consider compiling info for a book which they would endorse. Yes I know there are already many reloading books available, but with all the knowledge available via members this could become THE handbook on handloading.

If anybody ever tried to compile the myriad methods that people use into one tome, the book would be unreadable, and probably cost a fortune. There is no single correct method, there aren't even a few correct ones, everybody does it differently to some degree.
Read a few books and adjust everything to suit your specific preferences.
My brother is loading, and shooting, his first ever ammo with me today in .243.
I loaded one round to demonstrate how I do it, and then left him to make eight rounds himself. All I'm doing is watching how he goes about it and pointing out any potential pitfalls or drawbacks I can see. But the important thing is letting him find his own way of doing it.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 27 Apr 2017, 8:33 pm

I have 3 i have the Hornady 9th edition, i have the current adi reloading book and have recently purchased the New Nick Harvey reloading manual. Personally i prefer the hornady and adi manuals both have a little more info in regards to seating depths that comes in handy when you have picked up a new rifle and you chose to reload a heap of ammo for it before picking the gun up.
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 27 Apr 2017, 8:37 pm

Both Richard Lee and 48th edition of Lyman's in PDF can be found for free if you google them.

www.adi-powders.com.au/handloaders/warn ... ifle%2Easp
Last edited by Oldbloke on 25 May 2017, 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 28 Apr 2017, 1:39 am

Oldbloke wrote:Both Richard Lee and 48th edition of Lyman's in PDF can be found for free if you google them.

Both are on my Mediafire account I posted earlier if anybody wants them.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by crows2332 » 28 Apr 2017, 1:36 pm

G'day Bladeracer,
I clicked on your link to the media fire, re: lyman manual etc. How good is your library!!! :-)
Cheers
crows2332
Recruit
Recruit

Other

Return to Reloading ammunition