S&B brass

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

S&B brass

Post by juststarting » 24 Apr 2017, 2:19 pm

Some people absolutely hate S&B brass. Some don't. Personally, I have no issues with it (mostly) and it seems to handle hot 308 loads a bit better than others. Anyway. The one common complaint is tight primer pocket. True. Here's some evidence. It's a lot smaller than anything else I've used. I do have a batch of Hornady, that was crimped and had to be swaged, but between swaging those two - S&B I think is a lot tighter still.

I have a big batch of S&B brass that I swaged the primer pockets on, but some cases needed a little more work than others, three to be exact (pic is 1 primer different angles), even after 2 firings.

To demonstrate:

Also, boom! 1000 primers used :) So it seems like I shoot a little more than I thought :twisted:
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Re: S&B brass

Post by Apollo » 24 Apr 2017, 2:33 pm

If you are looking for help, how about starting off at the beginning and describe what you are using to seat Primers, what are you using to Swage Primer Pockets.

I take it the photos show the damage done trying to seat a primer.

Federal Primers are SOFT compared to others, also come with a warning about using some seating tools.

If the photos are supposed to show the end result I can only guess that upon entry to the primer pocket that they are catching on a sharp lip or the primer seater isn't quite right and trying to seat them off center. Don't know as I don't know what is being used.

Never, ever had a problem seating primers. Then again I only use Hand Primer Seating Tools. I've lost count but over 40 odd years I suppose many 10's of thousands of primers for any number of people.

I have used S&B Cases (.223R only) and used a proper primer pocket swager. One for depth and another to size and shape/remove the primer crimp. These are cutters used by hand.

More info please....
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by juststarting » 24 Apr 2017, 2:41 pm

Geez, Apollo, put them claws back in. I am just sharing end result. Not really asking anything.

Could very well be the priming arm on the press seating off centre. I can't use hand tool on S&B, I just find it too tight for my non gorilla like grip. I used a primer pocket swaging die.

It only happened 3 times and only with S&B, could be off centre or edge in pocket or... But they are tight, at least the 308, tight enough to move from hand priming tool (my preference) to press priming arm thing.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 24 Apr 2017, 2:43 pm

I am using s&b cases and primers for my 223. About 1 of 20 are a bit difficult to seat but it's usually a small bur.

PS. More feel and less brute force helps.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Apollo » 25 Apr 2017, 12:54 pm

No claws out and wasn't meant to sound like that either, just help.

Try using a cutter that puts a slight chamfer on the leading edge of the primer pocket, does not cut the bottom of the primer pocket. Only takes a turn or two and all should end up the same.

The other hand tool is the primer pocket uniformer that ensures all are the same depth.

Personally, I don't like the idea of the press type swaging tool. The excess material has to go somewhere. Not used one nor even seen one but if it pushes then I imagine it pushes the material into the primer pocket. Don't know.

I hope it works out for you and I'll crawl back into my competition benchrest hole.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by juststarting » 25 Apr 2017, 1:42 pm

It all worked out, primers seated. I am hoping after this time it should loosen up a bit.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Noisydad » 25 Apr 2017, 4:32 pm

Just made 40 S&B .303 cases into .410 shells. They seem ok to me.
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 25 Apr 2017, 8:57 pm

I saw the claws..... grrrrrrr ruffff :lol:

Thats only happened to me on 308 cases I missed the crimp on.....

As far as S&B, son is 'making' brass for me through the 303, so I havent started loading it yet... hopefully the quality is good enough, I'll have a few hundred of them....

All good carry on.....

(I feel I should add a meme here....just for completeness and that )
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by juststarting » 25 Apr 2017, 9:03 pm

Only time I encountered crimp, was on Hornady 308 brass. I shot a bunch of factory and kept the brass, to my surprise - crimp :shock:

By then, buying one of this (which I did) was the cheaper option. But came in use for S&B.

---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Jeff303 » 27 Apr 2017, 5:16 pm

I use it fairly warmly in my 303 & love it. Up to 6 loads now with absolutely no issues at all. Ised it in my 303-270 too with great results
Jeff303
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 27 Apr 2017, 8:23 pm

i don't mind the snb brass i personally don't mind the tighter primer pockets some of my ppu stuff becomes a little lose after a few reloads. I do prefer hornady brass for my 303 but it all comes down to personal preference.
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Return to Reloading ammunition