Firing a fire formed neck sized case in another chamber?

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Firing a fire formed neck sized case in another chamber?

Post by Cooper » 25 Apr 2017, 7:14 pm

I am running two 223s at the moment and keeping my brass for each rifle separate.
Any way I decided to see if the I could chamber a reloaded round used in one rifle in the other.
One rifle seems to have a tighter chamber and the other will chamber a round used in either gun.

I haven't tried firing a round yet. Don't want to FLS. still planing on keeping my brass separate. But would be kind handy to know that one rifle can fire any of my reloaded rounds if I ever get mixed up. Any harm in doing this???
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Re: Firing a fire formed neck sized case in another chamber?

Post by Gwion » 25 Apr 2017, 7:19 pm

Fire formed brass from the tighter chamber will work fine in the larger chamber but that case will then be questionable in the tighter chamber.

Best practice is to keep your fire formed brass for that specific rifle.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by duncan61 » 25 Apr 2017, 9:53 pm

We are lucky all 3 of our .243 will take the same reloads.My.222 will not chamber in another guys rifle and the necks need to be turned
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Gamerancher » 26 Apr 2017, 9:13 am

I have two Sako's in 7mm-08. One is a heavy "target" rifle , custom built for "heavy" silhouette class. The other is an out of the box "75" that I use in "hunter" class.
The rounds fired in the custom rifle that has a tight chamber are reloaded using minimum neck sizing only. These rounds can be used in either rifle but once they are fired in the standard factory chamber in the "75" they must be full length sized before they will fit in the tighter custom chamber. If I keep cases separate for each rifle I only neck size. Does that make sense for you?
Either way, I don't see what the phobia with full length sizing is. I used to have a .222Rem that I shot many thousands of "hot" reloads in, the cases were always full length sized and apart from a few split necks, ( never annealed them ) I got well over 20 reloads per case. I full length size a lot, I reload for up to 20 different calibres and don't have a problem doing so.
If both of your rifles shoot the same load well and you're not chasing "benchrest" accuracy, I'd suggest you just full length resize and go with the knowledge that your rounds will fit both of your rifles. To answer your question, no, it won't do any harm.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 26 Apr 2017, 9:21 am

Gamerancher wrote:I have two Sako's in 7mm-08. One is a heavy "target" rifle , custom built for "heavy" silhouette class. The other is an out of the box "75" that I use in "hunter" class.
The rounds fired in the custom rifle that has a tight chamber are reloaded using minimum neck sizing only. These rounds can be used in either rifle but once they are fired in the standard factory chamber in the "75" they must be full length sized before they will fit in the tighter custom chamber. If I keep cases separate for each rifle I only neck size. Does that make sense for you?
Either way, I don't see what the phobia with full length sizing is. I used to have a .222Rem that I shot many thousands of "hot" reloads in, the cases were always full length sized and apart from a few split necks, ( never annealed them ) I got well over 20 reloads per case. I full length size a lot, I reload for up to 20 different calibres and don't have a problem doing so.
If both of your rifles shoot the same load well and you're not chasing "benchrest" accuracy, I'd suggest you just full length resize and go with the knowledge that your rounds will fit both of your rifles. To answer your question, no, it won't do any harm.

I think most people who only neck size do it for two main reasons:
1/ It is slightly quicker and easier to do.
2/ It offers a slight advantage in potential accuracy.

That's my reasons, anyway. Full length sizing is a pain in the butt! :P
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Gamerancher » 26 Apr 2017, 9:36 am

Yeah mate agreed, but I still think a lot of folks read or hear about some "nasty" thing that will result if they full-length size and that is the reason they steer away from it.
If done correctly, ( and the dies are made right ), full length sized reloads should fit in any "factory" chamber.
If I am loading rounds that I want to fit in multiple guns, I set my dies up to size cases to the one with the tightest chamber and know that they will fit all of my rifles chambered for that cartridge. That makes reloading simpler for me. :thumbsup:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 26 Apr 2017, 9:40 am

Totally agree: if you want to load for multiple rifles of the same chambering, you should be full length sizing the brass. :thumbsup:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Cooper » 26 Apr 2017, 10:11 am

Thanks for the replys. I don't have a problem FLS (full length sizing). But having the choice. I'd would rather just neck size. I was planning on running two sets of brass.

Now it just means I can grab the .223 with the chamber that will fit any of my reloads. With out the worry of being out in the field with ammo that won't fit in my rifle. Just thinking of the day I grab the wrong ammo box for the wrong rifle.

After 5 or 6 neck sizings I will probably FLS if required.

Thanks
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by goldiexxxx » 27 Apr 2017, 9:27 pm

I have three .308s. A Ruger Gunsite Scout, a Ruger M77 MkII, and an Israeli Mauser. The two Rugers have a tighter chamber than the old military rifle and are interchangeable with fire-formed brass between them. Obviously, the Mauser is less fussy, but if I chamber one of the Mauser fire-formed reloads into either Ruger, I have to hammer the bolt closed a bit with the palm of my hand. Once fired though, the brass is back to the Ruger size.
goldiexxxx
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by duncan61 » 28 Apr 2017, 12:09 am

We have my .243 Howa a .243 Sako from 1978 about 5000 Rds and a new Ruger.The Ruger is the tightest and my Howa is the sloppy slut
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Return to Reloading ammunition