204 ruger. 40gr Vmax problem.

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Re: 204 ruger. 40gr Vmax problem.

Post by bigfellascott » 22 May 2017, 10:41 am

Not sure it's a good idea to use loads less than the starting load recommended, just suss it out a little bit to make sure it's safe to do so (I'm sure there was a reason not too but can't recall what it was now) maybe send a email to ADI and see what they say.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by happyhunter » 22 May 2017, 11:44 am

Cooper wrote:Well I'm shooting half inch groups with both 8208 and 2206h. I actually had reduce the load with 8208. Now running 27.3gr which is below the staring load in the ADI manual. I've ordered 1000 32gr Z max and need to get some new Norma or Noslar brass as I've already had a few neck splits with the Hornady brass.

I'm running Remington brass and Remington primers and 29.2 grains AR2206H for the 32 Zmax. It likes the compressed load.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by bladeracer » 22 May 2017, 11:51 am

happyhunter wrote:I'm running Remington brass and Remington primers and 29.2 grains AR2206H for the 32 Zmax. It likes the compressed load.

I run the identical load but in Norma brass.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Cooper » 22 May 2017, 12:49 pm

Interesting that the compressed load works well with the 2206H. I just started in middle 27.5gr 2206H when I was struggling with Benchmark 8208. The groups went from an inch with the bench mark 8208 to half an in with the 2206H. I wait til I have new brass before I do any load development. I've also ordered a new thumb hole Boyds stock. As the Houge standard stock is pretty bad, it flexes when using the bipod.
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by southwest shooter » 23 May 2017, 2:45 pm

40gr vmax , Waste of time ! Throw them away and use 32gr zmax . Rabbits and foxes no drama .
southwest shooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Cooper » 26 May 2017, 10:21 pm

bigfellascott wrote:Not sure it's a good idea to use loads less than the starting load recommended, just suss it out a little bit to make sure it's safe to do so (I'm sure there was a reason not too but can't recall what it was now) maybe send a email to ADI and see what they say.

Yeah I'm only 0.2gr under the suggested starting load. So I wouldn't exactly call it reduced load. If think it's not wise to start below the starting load as it can actually cause higher pressure. Which is kinder the opposite to what you would think. Less powder less bang. Think it is more of an issue when reduced charges of slower burning powders are used.

Any I've bought some AR2219 to try. It has a faster burn rate compared to 2206H and benchmark 8208. I've also bought 1000 32 Zmax and my Boyds thumb hole stock has come in. I'll post some picks when I get it all together.
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 27 May 2017, 12:24 am

I look forward to seeing how it all goes mate, keep us posted.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Apollo » 27 May 2017, 1:54 am

Cooper wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:Not sure it's a good idea to use loads less than the starting load recommended, just suss it out a little bit to make sure it's safe to do so (I'm sure there was a reason not too but can't recall what it was now) maybe send a email to ADI and see what they say.

Yeah I'm only 0.2gr under the suggested starting load. So I wouldn't exactly call it reduced load. If think it's not wise to start below the starting load as it can actually cause higher pressure. Which is kinder the opposite to what you would think. Less powder less bang. Think it is more of an issue when reduced charges of slower burning powders are used.

Any I've bought some AR2219 to try. It has a faster burn rate compared to 2206H and benchmark 8208. I've also bought 1000 32 Zmax and my Boyds thumb hole stock has come in. I'll post some picks when I get it all together.

The higher pressure from less than suggested minimum loads can become a danger as the extra free space over the top of the powder gets into being a "flash over" or mini explosion and those pressures can become quite dangerous. In my mind reduced loads are done to reduce velocity without creating the dangerous situation of that void in the cartridge case, hence why very slow powders are used that will still fill the case to a safe level. Enjoy your experiment but don't reduce loads too far.

I do think you will have much better accuracy results if you increase your loads quite a bit towards maximum. In most calibres/catridges there are accuracy nodes as the barrel harmonics even out to the ideal release point for the bullet. Some maybe just one, some two and often there can be three accuracy nodes as the velocity increases. Hence load development in steps of ever increasing powder loads. One of those loads is far more consistent than the others and that is what most settle for. The .204R likes to push bullets fast so in my view you should be using much hotter loads than you are playing with...just my view over many experiments with many calibres.

In your shorter barrel, the idea of using a faster burn rate powder is to ensure you are getting a complete powder burn before the bullet exits the barrel muzzle and also hence give you higher velocity from a complete powder burn. What doesn't get burnt before the bullet exits is just a waste. We are talking about a controlled burn and the powder burns all the way down a barrel to create the gas pressure to push the bullet. It's not an explosion or burn in the cartridge case.

Each to their own though.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 27 May 2017, 2:53 am

Apollo wrote:I do think you will have much better accuracy results if you increase your loads quite a bit towards maximum. In most calibres/catridges there are accuracy nodes as the barrel harmonics even out to the ideal release point for the bullet. Some maybe just one, some two and often there can be three accuracy nodes as the velocity increases. Hence load development in steps of ever increasing powder loads. One of those loads is far more consistent than the others and that is what most settle for. The .204R likes to push bullets fast so in my view you should be using much hotter loads than you are playing with...just my view over many experiments with many calibres.

I've found the same, the .204 just gets more accurate the harder you push it.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Ben78 » 27 May 2017, 7:34 am

Apollo wrote:Enjoy your experiment but don't reduce loads too far.

Keep in mind that ADI say that 2206H is safe to 60% of maximum load, that would be 17.6 grains behind the 32g vmax in a 204. Another option, if you like playing around, is trail boss. When I had my 223 I had a load that was accurate with 8 grains and gave around 2200fps with 40g vmax. I called it my hornet load as it was basically the same really.
Ben78
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Cooper » 21 Mar 2018, 10:22 am

I tried some 40gr Berger projectiles in my 204. The Berger reloading I have is quite conservative with loads. Max is 26.3gr with 8208 benchmark. I started at 25gr 8208. The manual stats the 1-12 twist is ok for the 40gr projectiles. However the Berger box says the optimum twist is 1-10.

The Berger 40 grain weren't as bad as the 40gr Vmax but aren't fully stabilising as the holes in target are a bit off. I'll try pushing then a bit faster and see what happens. Might also try the 39gr Sierras. Otherwise it is just the 32 Zmax for my 204
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by southwest shooter » 21 Mar 2018, 10:27 am

Cooper wrote:I tried some 40gr Berger projectiles in my 204. The Berger reloading I have is quite conservative with loads. Max is 26.3gr with 8208 benchmark. I started at 25gr 8208. The manual stats the 1-12 twist is ok for the 40gr projectiles. However the Berger box says the optimum twist is 1-10.

The Berger 40 grain weren't as bad as the 40gr Vmax but aren't fully stabilising as the holes in target are a bit off. I'll try pushing then a bit faster and see what happens. Might also try the 39gr Sierras. Otherwise it is just the 32 Zmax for my 204

Stick with the 32g z max , never had a fox complain yet ! 39g blitzkings go great but to pricey for me .
southwest shooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 21 Mar 2018, 4:30 pm

Yeah the 32s or 39s generally shoot well so would be a good option I think the 30gn Bergerac shoot well too or it might be 35gn Bergerac anyway suss them out too.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Cooper » 21 Mar 2018, 6:50 pm

bigfellascott wrote:Yeah the 32s or 39s generally shoot well so would be a good option I think the 30gn Bergerac shoot well too or it might be 35gn Bergerac anyway suss them out too.

Yeah I got some of the 35s when I got the 40s. They might have done 30s at some stage. The 35s shoot fine with my 32 Zmax load. Only shot 3. Was mainly interested what the 40s would do.
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Ballisticdog » 23 Mar 2020, 12:43 pm

A late response to an old post, but have to say the 40gn V-Max is a superb projectile from my Tikka T3X Super Varmint Stainless. I started with the low load from ADI using the AR2206H powder (26 grains) and worked up to the "maximum" load of 27.7 grains. My chrono came nowhere near what the book velocity was. But I could not see where my slightly shorter barrel would be making so much difference (200fps). I use a Magnetospeed chrono so muzzle velocity should be pretty close to correct. I made a full pressure sign examination of my brass and found no signs of excessive pressure so I increased my powder charge in 3/10ths of a grain increments until I saw a slight extractor mark on the base of the case. This did not occur until I had reached 29.9 grains of 2206H (very compressed load) and a muzzle velocity of 3,845fps. Accuracy from the beginning was acceptable but not exceptional at the lower velocities, groups began to tighten considerably with the smallest 5 shot group being 9mm at 100yd. being from the 28.6 grain load with MV 3,760fps. then open out again as the MV increased. The 28.6 grains of 2206H show no obvious pressure signs in this rifle but they did in a friends Tikka, so the same load does not suit all rifles/chambers/throats. While I have the floor I would like to add that I have found the best all round projectile in my rifle is the 39gn Speer TNT FBHP. I use the same powder and grains of it with only an average of 20fps difference and the accuracy is outstanding with exceptional results on wild dogs. An added advantage is that both the 40gn Hornady and the 39gn Speer have the same point of impact right out to 300yd and only 50mm different at 548yd. I have not had the opportunity to compare the results on wild dogs beyond 300yds. but the Speer does seem to create a bit more damage closer to the entry point than the V-Max, but the wild dogs do not know the difference. It is a difficult thing to give advice to someone with your problem as many factors enter the equation. Bullet weight, twist rate, barrel length, velocity, seating depth (distance to lands), powder, primer all come into play. Add to that the differences in chamber from rifle to rifle even from the same manufacturer and I am sure you can see where it goes. My advice is that you try different projectiles/powders/velocities in your particular rifle until you find the sweet spot. Sometimes we are lucky and find the sweet spot right off other times we have to hunt around for it.
Ballisticdog
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 24 Mar 2020, 11:05 am

I've stabilized 40gr pills out of a 1:12 with AR2219. Not peak accuracy, but certainly not keyholing like above. However these days I just stick to AR2206H and the 32-grainers. Very capable, even on the 400m mound. Probably beyond (never tried). More accurate than I am, even from slung prone.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Bello » 24 Jul 2023, 1:33 pm

Took the new guy (Tikka 204 stainless hunter), for a range day.
I sold my Sako VLS (Varmint laminated stainless) in 204 Ruger some years ago. I wasn't using it, so out it went.

Lately my young fella has been nagging me about a 204.
So I bit the bullet and bought a second hand Tikka from Used guns, just so he can have some fun.
Took it to the range for a work out with some old 204 ammo I had loaded for my Sako.

Had a fun morning.
Attachments
204 100 meters (2).jpg
204 100 meters (2).jpg (16.78 KiB) Viewed 1484 times
204 200 meters (1).jpg
204 200 meters (1).jpg (15.78 KiB) Viewed 1484 times
Bello
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by animalpest » 24 Jul 2023, 2:37 pm

Unfortunately the CoP for kangaroo shooting lists the 40gr bullet for use in the .204. If not roo shooting, then shoot the bullet that suits you best.
Loading 8208 with the 35gr suits the Sako. The Sierra 39gr will normally shoot very well in most rifles.
The primer does not need to be a magnum. If you see "magnum" on the cartridge, that doesnt mean much.
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by JohnV » 24 Jul 2023, 2:40 pm

I have no experience with the 204 but I have a lot of experience making accurate shooting bullets .
I have had a look at a cross section of a 40 grain V max and it's a marginal design . The over large polymer tip and cavity inside it pushes the center of gravity back too far towards the base making it harder to stabilize . Add to that a lower twist rate and driving pressure than optimal and it keyholes . Basically the design makes the overall bullet balance in ballistic flight closer to a round ball than a pointed projectile . Calculating twist rate based on the bullet length will fail when a bullet is a bad design inside . I would also be checking the diameters of the bullets just in case they are also undersized . A bullet can appear to be quite stable at 100 meters but then go unstable at a longer range .
Similar bad design was the Barnes Varmint Grenade .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Billo » 24 Jul 2023, 3:20 pm

Most accurate 204 40gr Bullet Ive tried is the Nosler 40gr BT, Im running a 1:8 twist and all the Bergers and Nosler are super accurate the 39 SBK are a joke 2-3 inch groups at 100m
22lr, 20 Hornady Hornet, 6mm ARC, 270 Win, 308 Win, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 S&W
Billo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Bello » 24 Jul 2023, 4:23 pm

Hi Guys
I have some 32gr Sierra Blitzkings on hand. Might want to try and see how they go. My rifle has a 1/12 twist.
Have any of you tried them, are they accurate.
Any advice appreciated.
Bello
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 24 Jul 2023, 5:26 pm

Bello wrote:Hi Guys
I have some 32gr Sierra Blitzkings on hand. Might want to try and see how they go. My rifle has a 1/12 twist.
Have any of you tried them, are they accurate.
Any advice appreciated.

I haven't tried the 32gn SBK.
I've used the 24gn NTX, 32gn ZMax and VMax, 40gn VMax, and 39gn SBK, all with good accuracy. I also have Hornady's 45gn SP and Berger's 55gn HP but I haven't tried those yet. The 45's are hard to get so seems pointless developing a load, and the 55's look cool but are designed for very tight twist rates. My Ruger Predator is 12". I don't bother with the 39gn and 40gn as I also have .223 if I want to use heavier bullets, but it's hard to beat the 40gn for flat shooting if you're spotlighting - I don't. I use the 24gn for long range, out to 300m, and the 32gn ZMax/VMax for general use, reduced loads, and subsonics.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 24 Jul 2023, 10:52 pm

Billo wrote:Most accurate 204 40gr Bullet Ive tried is the Nosler 40gr BT, Im running a 1:8 twist and all the Bergers and Nosler are super accurate the 39 SBK are a joke 2-3 inch groups at 100m

Not sure why you cannot shoot Sierra Blitz Kings 39 trainers, I found them easy to find a load for from my 204. Shot a best group of 0.181 at 100 metres and 1.1 inches at 300 metres. Totally standard Sako 85 shooting off a bipod.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Bello » 25 Jul 2023, 5:07 am

Hello SCJ429
Have you tried the Sierra 32gr Blitzking.
If so, how did they shoot compared to the 39gr Sierra Blitzking.
Bello
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 25 Jul 2023, 7:37 am

The ballistics are so good for 39 and 40 grain projectiles that I have never bothered with anything lighter. The rifles is for shooting foxes which it does very well. One of the flattest shooting calibres out there.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Billo » 25 Jul 2023, 7:54 am

SCJ429 wrote:
Billo wrote:Most accurate 204 40gr Bullet Ive tried is the Nosler 40gr BT, Im running a 1:8 twist and all the Bergers and Nosler are super accurate the 39 SBK are a joke 2-3 inch groups at 100m

Not sure why you cannot shoot Sierra Blitz Kings 39 trainers, I found them easy to find a load for from my 204. Shot a best group of 0.181 at 100 metres and 1.1 inches at 300 metres. Totally standard Sako 85 shooting off a bipod.

Yeap I was a bit shocked too I'm guessing not many run the faster 1:8 twist. Even Sierra's website says it was designed to be the perfect length and stabilize in the 204 Ruger’s original 1-12″ twist barrel.

I can run everything else even up to the discontinued 55gr Berger. Barrel really seems to like flat based projectiles, Berger 35gr & 40gr generally go in the same hole when I do my bit, the 40gr BT just work :thumbsup:
22lr, 20 Hornady Hornet, 6mm ARC, 270 Win, 308 Win, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 S&W
Billo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Bello » 25 Jul 2023, 11:20 am

I was offered some Nosler 40gr projectiles, but decided to pass on them as everything I'd read was against the 40gr Hornady projectile, so I assumed the 40gr Nosler projectiles would be the same.
Did you try the 40gr Hornady, if so what was your opinion on them. How do they group compared to the Nosler.

I still would like to get some first hand knowledge of anyone who has loaded the Sierra 32gr Blitzking.
How do they shoot/ group.
How effective are they on small game, and out to what range.
Bello
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by JohnV » 25 Jul 2023, 1:08 pm

There is many variables that make one persons experience different to another using the same bullets and there is also variations in manufacturing that make one batch of the same bullets better or worse than another batch . However bullets that have marginal designs are more touchy than bullets with better designs and in some cases when there is a few factors working against good stability and accuracy they fail to give good results .
Some may get good accuracy at 100 but that deteriorates badly at longer ranges where they don't usually shoot .
With all the things that need to be right with the gun , the ammo and the shooter it's a miracle of good engineering and human accomplishment that we can hit anything with a gun . Just because a certain bullet shoots bad in one gun does not automatically mean it will shoot bad in all guns .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by SCJ429 » 25 Jul 2023, 9:38 pm

Bello wrote:I was offered some Nosler 40gr projectiles, but decided to pass on them as everything I'd read was against the 40gr Hornady projectile, so I assumed the 40gr Nosler projectiles would be the same.
Did you try the 40gr Hornady, if so what was your opinion on them. How do they group compared to the Nosler.

I still would like to get some first hand knowledge of anyone who has loaded the Sierra 32gr Blitzking.
How do they shoot/ group.
How effective are they on small game, and out to what range.

I don't know why the things you are reading are negative about the Hornady VMax, they perform really well on game and you get great accuracy from them. I have shot thousands of them in 224 calibres such as the 223 and 22/250.
The other bullet I have used in my 204 is the Speer 40 grain TNT, they group exceptionally well for a budget bullet and blow things up when they hit things.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 25 Jul 2023, 10:35 pm

SCJ429 wrote:I don't know why the things you are reading are negative about the Hornady VMax, they perform really well on game and you get great accuracy from them. I have shot thousands of them in 224 calibres such as the 223 and 22/250.
The other bullet I have used in my 204 is the Speer 40 grain TNT, they group exceptionally well for a budget bullet and blow things up when they hit things.

I have heard of people not being able to stabilise the 40gn .204 VMax, so I think it must be long enough to be marginal in some nominal 12" twist rates. But if your rifle does shoot it it is a great choice.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

PreviousNext

Return to Reloading ammunition