204 ruger. 40gr Vmax problem.

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Re: 204 ruger. 40gr Vmax problem.

Post by Bello » 26 Jul 2023, 6:39 am

Hello SCJ429

I use the Hornady 55gr V-Max in my 223 rifles and also in my 22-250.
I have worked up a load that is as accurate as a mug like me can get and am happy with them.

They have been my go to in my 223 for years. I also load the Sierra 55gr game kings (Super roo projectiles) as well and they are just as good.
I use the Hornady 55gr V-Max to good effect on Rabbit, Hares, Fox, Grass hoppers, Deer and even taken medium size pigs with them.
They are a good projectile, when used within reasonable distances, with the appropriate game and one must always factor in their own ability (that part is very important).

But I was hoping to get some real life experiences, form shooters who have used, the Sierra 32gr and 39gr Blitking projectiles from the 204 Ruger.

Just want to hear form other shooters about those particular projectiles. How they have found them on game and how they perform for them in their application of the projectile.
Bello
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Re: 204 ruger. 40gr Vmax problem.

Post by SCJ429 » 26 Jul 2023, 7:57 am

I have shot goats with 39 grain SBK, not an ideal choice but did the job. Head shots were very effective and heart Lung were good but it is a little bullet so keep the range sensible and use high percentage shots. For foxes, head shots are a must if you want to keep the pelt, you end up with great big holes from chest shots. Longest shot on a fox was 330 metres. Since you have some 32 grain projectiles you should give them a go, I have not bought any because the 39 work so well and there is no advantage going lighter.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Previous

Return to Reloading ammunition